Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

GOP calls 'elite' out of touch on immigration

GOP calls 'elite' out of touch on immigration

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national ... -9472r.htm

By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    September 13, 2006

House Republicans, returning from a month of field hearings on illegal immigration, yesterday warned of a gaping disconnect between American voters and many "elite" lawmakers.

"I have never seen such a disconnect between the American people and the elite," said Rep. Peter T. King, the New York Republican who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee and held two hearings last month.

Mr. King said securing the border this year is a cornerstone to national security and the war on terrorism. He called for more Border Patrol agents, more detention facilities for captured illegals and more unmanned aerial vehicles to patrol the border.

Testimony by Mr. King and others came during a "forum" yesterday before the Republican Policy Committee at which committee chairmen who held field hearings during the August recess could report their findings to Republican leadership.

Yesterday's packed meeting was yet another rebuke of the Senate immigration reform bill that would grant citizenship rights to about 10 million illegal aliens already in the country. Republicans attacked the Senate bill for granting Social Security benefits to illegals, hampering the ability of local police to detain illegals and requiring the U.S. government to consult with Mexican officials before building a border fence.

Also, House Republican leaders said yesterday's forum would set the stage for a new slate of border-security proposals they hope to pass the House before the November elections.

The Senate, like the majority of Democrats in the House, has refused to approve border-security legislation unless it includes proposals to grant citizenship rights to illegals and create a guest-worker program.

But House Republicans said yesterday, one day after marking the five-year anniversary of the September 11 attacks, that border security is too important to the war on terror to allow it to wait until agreement can be reached on the other components.

"There is a very simple reason why we need border security," said Rep. Peter Hoekstra, the Michigan Republican who chairs the House intelligence committee. "We are a nation at war. We face a very dangerous enemy that is intent on attacking us again."

Rep. Harold Rogers, Kentucky Republican, said legislation approved this year has improved the situation on the border. He noted $21.2 billion in new spending for Border Patrol agents, detention beds and other "border security tools."

As a result, he said, 99 percent of aliens apprehended along the Southwest and northern borders are being detained for deportation, compared with only 34 percent a year ago. Also, agents rounded up 66,000 aliens along the Southwest border in July, 34,000 fewer than in July 2005.

"What you are doing is working and that's having an effect," Mr. Rogers said.

Still, said Rep. Adam H. Putnam, the Florida Republican who chairs the Republican Policy Committee, more needs to be done.

"Our pressing border-security issues before us, however, cannot be delayed," he told his committee yesterday.

I watched some of those hearings last night and there was some interesting stuff and some people were actually talking sense. It was refreshing.

Of course, I didn't hear much about the employers. It seems mostly they want to pretend the poor employer is getting 'duped' and has no way to ascertain if their employees are legal or not.

The employer is the hub of this problem. Without jobs they won't come. Take away those jobs and they will leave. Not all - but certainly many.

Also, it seems Rep. Dreier (sp) wants everyone to have a new kind of SS card - so it can't be duplicated. I could not believe someone didn't tell him that anything can be duplicated in this day and age. Having a plastic SS card is not the answer. I would not want to vote for him if I were in his district.

It is a good thing that more are being detained but as long as the prize of a jobs and freebies are out there - they will come.

I do realize that any politician that puts any real blame on employers is going to loose his money and probably his job. As naive as I am, I still think there should be some people out there who are willing to risk their jobs to do what is right.

Also, they did discuss the fact that if a plane is flying over any American soil and a baby is born in the plane - it is a citizen. That has to be stopped.
    We have created something here for which there may not be a solution and we may just have to swallow. There are thousands and thousands - hundreds of thousands of babies born to illegals. Under our law, they are citizens. I don't think we can change the fact for them. We could deport the families - I don't see that happening, but maybe it will. No matter, when the child is an adult he/she is still a citizen. They will be able to come back to America and they will be very hostile to America and Americans.

Also, it seems if we allow the family to stay with the child, the child can then have the parents made citizens when he reaches adulthood.

I am not sure what the answer is - we are in a world of hurt either way we go.

It isn't just Mexicans that are doing this either. It seems wealthy Chinese are timing their vacations to come here in time for their babies to be born. Perhaps other countries are as well.

We need that law changed and if the family stays with the child, they should never be granted citizenship and there should be some price to pay if they are allowed to stay.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)