Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Initiatives put some order back at border

http://www.dallasnews.com

Initiatives put some order back at border
    Armed with millions in state cash, police slow river-crossing thieves, but for how long?

11:49 PM CDT on Monday, July 10, 2006
    By DAVID McLEMORE / The Dallas Morning News

DEL RIO, Texas – From Tommy Vick's back yard, the Rio Grande is a picture postcard of serenity as it cuts through steep limestone bluffs, sunlight catching on dark water. Until recently, it was more a battleground.

For more years than anyone remembers, thieves regularly crossed from neighboring Mexico at will, ransacking Mr. Vick's Vega Verde Estates neighborhood, stealing whatever couldn't be tied down and darting back across the river before police could respond. Last November, thieves even made off with Mr. Vick's lawn tractor.

"They tied it to a homemade raft and floated it across on inner tubes," he said. "A tractor! That was nearly the last straw."

But officials say such crime in Texas' border counties is down dramatically this year because of initiatives that increased police presence fivefold in some areas. The lesson, they say, is simple.

"It shows we can take back control of the border if we can saturate the area with law enforcement officers and create high visibility," said Val Verde County Sheriff D'Wayne Jernigan.

"But for it to work, it's going to have to be permanent. We have to take on the whole border."

Since December, when Gov. Rick Perry provided $10 million in state and federal grants to the 16 border sheriffs for a border security effort called Operation Linebacker, Sheriff Jernigan was able to increase patrols through overtime pay and newly hired deputies. Crime in the Vega Verde area began to tumble.

Then with an additional $1.2 million in state funds, "Operation Del Rio" flooded Val Verde County and four neighboring counties with extra law enforcement officers for three weeks last month. The sheriff says crime came to a virtual standstill.

Operation Del Rio established the manpower equivalent of 1,000 officers in the five-county region, according to Jack Colley, chief of the Governor's Division of Emergency Management. For Sheriff Jernigan, that meant he could place 10 deputies on duty per shift, a fivefold increase.

"The Vega was eating us alive. Thieves hit there and were home enjoying a drink by the time we could respond," he said. "The additional money means we can patrol there every day. We also put up security cameras and now the Border Patrol has begun making more frequent patrols."

Sheriff Jernigan's office has provided no specific figures, but officials say major felonies – homicides, burglaries and thefts – were down in Val Verde County by three-quarters during Operation Del Rio. Neighboring Maverick County reported a one-quarter drop in crime. The other three counties – Dimmit, Zavala and Kinney – experienced significant reductions, too, officials said.

Effort pays off
    Heightened law enforcement has paid off for Mr. Vick and his neighbors. Burglaries have virtually dried up. The sheriff's office had received 40 phone calls a day to report a crime. Now it's four.

Mr. Vick, a 15-year resident of the neighborhood, said the almost constant assault by thieves took its toll on the 60 households along this five-mile curve of the Rio Grande.

"They take TVs, water pumps, computers, radios, electrical equipment and tools, anything they can carry," said Mr. Vick. He estimates burglaries have cost him $20,000. "I saw a couple of guys take an above-ground fiberglass pool from a neighbor's house and float it across to Mexico."

Some owners have abandoned their homes as a lost cause. Most homes show signs of the assault – repaired doors and windows, heavy locks, security lights and a string of trailers and outbuildings damaged by burglars in search of loot.

Mr. Vick said even that didn't help one night a few years ago. His wife woke him to say someone was in the house. They had taken pictures off the wall and stacked some electronic goods on the porch. By the time he arose and got his rifle, the thieves had run into the river.

The area has also seen more than its share of drug traffic. In January 2003, a gunbattle raged along this portion of the river between Border Patrol agents and suspected drug smugglers caught running marijuana. An estimated 500 rounds were fired.

No one was injured as agents took two Mexican citizens into custody and seized about 1,000 pounds of marijuana.

At times, the violence has spilled over from the U.S. side. In 1999, Vega neighborhood resident Patrick Bordelon was arrested and later convicted of manslaughter in the shooting death of a Mexican teenager he caught on his property.

A year earlier, Mr. Bordelon had been convicted of aggravated assault in the shooting of another Mexican man who was walking near his home.

"The Vega was just out of control. There were frequent shootings and burglaries every night and not much we were equipped to stop it," said David Wharton, a former Customs inspector now working temporarily as a deputy for Operation Linebacker. "Dopers were starting to use the abandoned houses as stash houses."

Taking action
    Last summer, the frustration got to be too much for law enforcement.

On Aug. 8, 2005, veteran sheriff's investigator Lt. Larry Pope responded to a burglary call in the Vega neighborhood about four houses down from Mr. Vick. When he got there, property owners were in the back, pointing to the Mexican riverbank where men were unloading stolen goods from a homemade raft.

Lt. Pope called the Border Patrol and was told it would be awhile before they could put a boat on the river. A call to Mexican officials was even less helpful.

In his report, Lt. Pope wrote that he said, "If I had a boat, I could get those things myself." A neighbor offered up his fishing boat.

"Nobody wanted to create an international incident, but the stuff was just right there, 30 or 40 yards away," Sheriff Jernigan said. "So Larry took off his badge and gun and took the boat across to pick up the goods. It took several trips – one thing they stole was an air conditioner. But he got it all back.

"Texas law says that whenever a law enforcement officer finds stolen property, he's supposed to seize it so it can be returned to its lawful owner," he said. "And that's exactly what Larry did."

The thieves, having abandoned the stolen goods, offered no resistance.

On his return, Lt. Pope called U.S. Customs to see whether agents wanted to drive upriver to check the goods brought in from Mexico. They declined, allowing him to make his declaration by phone.

As pleased as Sheriff Jernigan is with the successes of recent border security operations, his big concern is what happens next. Is the government's interest in the border steady, or will it fade with the next new crisis?

"To sustain the successes we've had recently, we need to have this kind of response to border crime on a more permanent basis," he said. "As a society, we have to recognize that we can't ignore the border ever again."

During a recent visit to Del Rio to check the results of his border security operations, Mr. Perry promised more such blitz attacks on border crime.

"The international drug cartels and human-smuggling rings will not know when or where these operations will occur ... or how long they will last," Mr. Perry said during a recent visit. "Texas is not waiting for Washington to act. We will continue to do all we can to make our border stronger and our nation safer."

Mr. Vick has heard reassuring words before. He fears, however, that recent successes are only temporary relief.

"If we can get the government to know what we're putting up with down here, they'll have to do something. But frankly, as a taxpayer, I'm embarrassed," he said.

Mr. Vick stands in his back yard, looking out onto the river's quiet beauty. "It's been a hard time and there's times I just got sick of it," he said. "We've thought about leaving but, really, I just couldn't do that. I'd hate to say I let them run me off."

E-mail dmclemore@dallasnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They floated his tractor?! Poor guy!

I know that isn't the point of the article but good grief!
    I don't care what you call me, so long as you call me AMERICAN.

"As a society, we have to recognize that we can't ignore the border ever again."
    Absolutely Lt. Pope.

Ladydrake,

Yea! Everything at my house is tied down with metal cables. If it's not in the yard with the dog, it has a metal cable like the birdbath, patio furniture, and even the little red wagon.

Also, down here the guys call large HP riding mowers, lawn tractors. I thought that was what he was talking about, instead of an agriculture tractor.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"They take TVs, water pumps, computers, radios, electrical equipment and tools, anything they can carry," said Mr. Vick. He estimates burglaries have cost him $20,000. "I saw a couple of guys take an above-ground fiberglass pool from a neighbor's house and float it across to Mexico."
    I thought in Texas we are allowed to shoot robbers that are in the process of taking property?
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]