Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Judge Says Immigrant Child Can Stay

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stori ... 02126.html

September 11, 2006

Judge Says Immigrant Child Can Stay
    By PETER PRENGAMAN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A 10-year-old Salvadoran boy who was apprehended while trying to cross the U.S. border on his own to find his mother can stay in America at least until next summer, an immigration judge ruled Monday.

Judge William Martin's decision means Jonathan Martinez can live with his mother in Inglewood while the family prepares an asylum claim to keep him here, lawyer Julianne Donnelly said. That case is expected to be heard in August.

Donnelly said the family will argue that Jonathan does not have anyone to take care of him in El Salvador, making him susceptible to gangs and violence.

"He would be forced to fend for himself on the streets," Donnelly said.

Jonathan's case illustrates a growing problem with the federal program known as "temporary protective status" under which his mother is staying in the United States. Officials don't know what to do with the thousands of kids from Central America who come to the country illegally to join their parents.

The program provides legal residency to illegal immigrants from El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua, all countries that have suffered devastating natural disasters in recent years. The idea is that they can best serve their homelands by working here and sending money home.

But only immigrants in the United States when a program starts - for Salvadorans, after two major earthquakes in 2001 - are eligible. That means children who come later to join parents don't qualify, putting them in a sort of immigration limbo. Many end up being deported.

Jonathan's mother had left him with an aunt in 2000 to illegally immigrate to the U.S. Since 2001, she has had the temporary status.

When the aunt got sick in late 2004, Jonathan said he and a teenage cousin rode buses north for several weeks to reach the U.S. border. The two were separated, and Jonathan was nabbed in the desert trying to cross the Mexico-Arizona border. He has lived with his mother and 3-year-old half sister since then.

The family said the aunt who took care of him has since left El Salvador, his grandparents are too old to take him in and his father disappeared years ago.

"I'm happy because I get to stay," said Jonathan in a phone interview after Monday's hearing. "I didn't want to go back because I would be by myself."

--
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

"I'm happy because I get to stay," said Jonathan in a phone interview after Monday's hearing. "I didn't want to go back because I would be by myself."
    Jonathan, if you had any kind of mother, she would never have left you and would go with you, back to El Salvadore.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Kids got Moxie hope he gets the chance to channel it the right way.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Donnelly said the family will argue that Jonathan does not have anyone to take care of him in El Salvador, making him susceptible to gangs and violence.
    Sounds like mom is unfit to have him.....no good mother would leave their child behind, not even with her sister. Just another way to get into the U.S. "legally".....and our judicial system is supporting it.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Am I understanding this correctly: the mother came here in 2000, which was six years ago. Now she has a three year old daughter? That means she came in here illegally, was allowed to stay because she was from an area that had incurred numerous natural disasters (very magnanimous on the part of the US), and turned right around and had an anchor baby. Or did I misunderstand?

Do we not have some insane immigration laws?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since his mother obviously abandoned him, who is going to pay for this kid to stay in America? It is clear that his "mommy dearest" isn't interested in providing support.

Hi, let's see.

Cindy, cpat.....etc......
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!