http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGB2QKDUSLE.html

McCain Says Vote Will Happen
By WILLIAM MARCH wmarch@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 9, 2006

LAKELAND - Arizona Sen. John McCain said Saturday the uncertainty immigrant families face as the nation decides what to do about illegal immigration won't last too much longer.

"Sooner or later, we'll vote," he said, blaming Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., for the Senate's failure to vote on the divisive issue before its current recess.

Hours before McCain spoke in Lakeland, comments on the subject by a Floridian who hopes to join McCain in the Senate, Katherine Harris, R-Longboat Key, indicated how difficult and fractious the issue can be among Republicans.

Addressing supporters in Okeechobee, Harris emphasized that although the nation needs immigrant labor, she opposes blanket amnesty for those in the country illegally.

Harris wouldn't say whether she meant a bill like the one sponsored by McCain and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., which offers illegal immigrants who have been here five years a route to citizenship.

McCain denies his bill offers amnesty, instead calling it "earned citizenship." Immigrants would have to pay fines, learn English, work and meet other requirements before getting an opportunity to become citizens. Critics have called that approach amnesty.

In Okeechobee, Harris was questioned intensely by the crowd of supporters, who complained their county has become a "bedroom" community for migrants who work but can't afford to live in surrounding counties. They said that creates a burden on social services.

Harris said she was on their side.

"We need to have these legal, temporary workers," she said.

But she added, "You shouldn't reward illegal activity with citizenship. ... I don't think they should become citizens automatically."

McCain, a top-tier prospective presidential candidate for 2008, appeared at the Polk County Republican Party's Lincoln Day Dinner on Saturday in Lakeland, helping raise money for the county party. He planned to do the same for Broward County Republicans in a fundraiser this evening at the home of party activists Sharon and Larry Day.

Visiting Florida has become common for potential presidential candidates a couple of years before the election. Florida has seen plenty of it lately and will see more: Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts will visit Miami this month.

Harris, meanwhile, who hasn't won the favor of the national party in her Senate bid, emphasized her independence from the "Washington elites" in talks on the campaign trail Saturday and got at best lukewarm support from McCain in return.

Asked whether he supports her, McCain said, "If she's the nominee of the party, I would support her."

Asked whether she can beat Democratic incumbent Bill Nelson, he said, "I think so, but I'm not an expert on the nuances of Florida Senate race in April."