Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico urges Bush to veto U.S. border fence bill

By Greg Brosnan

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico pleaded with President Bush on Monday to veto a Senate proposal to build a fence to keep illegal immigrants out, saying it could backfire by making the border less secure.

The U.S. Senate overwhelmingly backed a bill on Friday to put up about 700 miles of fence, a project Republicans hope will impress voters calling for tougher immigration control ahead of November 7 congressional elections.

"The Mexican government strongly opposes the building of walls in the border area between Mexico and the United States," President Vicente Fox's spokesman Ruben Aguilar told reporters.

Hundreds of Latin Americans, mostly Mexicans, die each year crossing perilous rivers and deserts separating the two countries, and tougher control has increased fatalities.

"Partial measures focused exclusively on security ignore reality and represent ... a political answer rather than a viable solution to this problem," Aguilar said.

Asked about the fence at an international media forum in Mexico City, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Thomas Shannon said: "We need to know who's coming across our borders and after years of not paying that much attention to the frontier ... we are now attempting to come to terms with it."

"We recognize that how this is perceived outside the United States is not positive but we would ask for patience."

"This decision hurts bilateral relations, goes against the spirit of cooperation needed to guarantee security on the common border, creates a climate of tension in border communities," he said.

Aguilar said Mexico would send a diplomatic note to Washington on Monday urging Bush to veto the bill, which requires the president's signature to become law.

Bush had hoped for broad immigration legislation that would create a guest-worker program, which would match workers with jobs Americans are unwilling to do. But House Republicans had pushed for greater emphasis on sealing the porous frontier.

Mexicans are livid about the fence plan, which is seen as a slap in the face to efforts during Fox's near-completed six-year term to come to an agreement with Washington on immigration.

President-elect Felipe Calderon, who takes office December 1, also has lambasted the fence plan and the issue promises to prickle his relationship with Washington from the outset.
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... rss&rpc=22

They go from warning to begging...LOL!

See what your marching and demands have done? American's are no longer sleeping and they don't want you here.

Mexicans are livid about the fence plan, which is seen as a slap in the face to efforts during Fox's near-completed six-year term to come to an agreement with Washington on immigration.
    Ask me if I care. I kind of take it as a slap in the face, kick in the gut, and a knife in my back when all these illegals march in our streets demanding and demanding and demanding when they just can't seem to abide by any law written!! They can't build it high enough, deep enough and quick enough for me. If their had been some cooperation and respect maybe a fence wouldn't have become a necessity.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mexico's
    Mexico pleaded with President Bush on Monday to veto a Senate proposal to build a fence to keep illegal immigrants out, saying it could backfire by making the border less secure.
    I think the more truthful message in this is : "Veto the bill, Jorge, or we'll see to it that the border becomes less secure and much more busy."

Speaking of bills.....it seems to me, although I could be wrong, that bills are signed pretty fast when they're going to get signed. Well, three days seems like a reasonable amount of time.

I don't even care if he signs the bill anymore, because I see what's going to happen. They all know it. It's true the fence bill is a smoke screen.

It took me three days to be in agreement with that, but now I am. Bush and Fox are going to have them coming across the border by the thousands. Bush will say nothing. Because he is not on the side of the American people. He's right there with Vicente Fox. He's just as corrupt as his best friend is.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fox is terrified that a fence will prevent illegal drugs from hitting American streets. He probably makes a huge profit from all the illegal drugs that come through the border every hour of the day.

Banned
    Fox and his successor are contemplating the possibility that they might actually have to solve their country's problems.

Kate wrote:
    Fox and his successor are contemplating the possibility that they might actually have to solve their country's problems.
    I don't think so..Mexico won't budge, but the US will. Our government is acting more and more like Mexico's every day. But, good point, Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    Mexico's
    Mexico pleaded with President Bush on Monday to veto a Senate proposal to build a fence to keep illegal immigrants out, saying it could backfire by making the border less secure.
    I think the more truthful message in this is : "Veto the bill, Jorge, or we'll see to it that the border becomes less secure and much more busy."

Speaking of bills.....it seems to me, although I could be wrong, that bills are signed pretty fast when they're going to get signed. Well, three days seems like a reasonable amount of time.

I don't even care if he signs the bill anymore, because I see what's going to happen. They all know it. It's true the fence bill is a smoke screen.

It took me three days to be in agreement with that, but now I am. Bush and Fox are going to have them coming across the border by the thousands. Bush will say nothing. Because he is not on the side of the American people. He's right there with Vicente Fox. He's just as corrupt as his best friend is.
    LEGAL
    maybe I shouldn't print this--don't like showing our hand But.....the best gift that the little twerp could give us is a VETO. Can you just imagine the American reaction to a veto? Hah! It would be outstanding especially considering that the ILLEGALS & cronies would be celebrating in the streets and just as May 1, they'd show their disdain for America and wake more of us up.

Let him VETO.............but he will not. He'll sign as the deal was struck long before the vote.

Banned
    I don't think so..Mexico won't budge, but the US will. Our government is acting more and more like Mexico's every day. But, good point, Kate.
    Wishful thinking on my part! Mexico has grown far too dependent on us being their safety net for economic and social problems. I think they have been eagerly anticipating a NAU since they will be the only ones to gain (other than the wealthy elites and corporate owners in the US). Building a fence and other measures apparently is sending the signal that this may not be as easy as they had hoped.

Hundreds of Latin Americans, mostly Mexicans, die each year crossing perilous rivers and deserts separating the two countries, and tougher control has increased fatalities.
    Creating tougher control is not the cause of increased fatalities. Increased fatalities obviously are higher due to more and more illegals crossing.

TO PRESIDENT FOX. SHUT YOUR MOUTH, STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT OUR GOVERNMENT DOES AND FIX YOUR OWN PATHETIC COUNTRY.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.