Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MS-13 gang members in custody

I missed this back in July

MS-13 gang members in custody

By Chris Berendt
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:09 PM EDT

Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace, left, talks about an armed robbery at a convenience store in northern Duplin County that led to the arrests of nine MS-13 gang members last Friday. Wallace and District Attorney Dewey Hudson, right, commended sheriff’s deputies and State Bureau of Investigation agents in attempting to combat what they say has become a dangerous problem in the county.
    ALBERTSON — Nine MS-13 gang members, labeled by authorities as “hardcore” leaders of the criminal organization, have been arrested following an armed robbery of a convenience store in northern Duplin County last Friday. The robbery and subsequent arrests came one week after another MS-13 gang member was charged — a second is being sought — in the shooting death of a Warsaw man outside a Wallace convenience store last month.

Five of the nine men have been charged for their alleged involvement in the robbery, in which suspects armed with guns entered La Jarochita Mexican Store and stole thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, binding two of the store’s patrons with duct tape in the process.

Authorities said that Friday’s incident shows that violent gang-related activity in Duplin County was not an isolated incident with the Wallace murder, but rather is presenting itself as more of a problem — one that Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace said would not be tolerated.

“These folks are MS-13, all of them,” said Wallace. “Southeastern North Carolina, primarily Duplin County, has become ground zero for Hispanic gangs, notably MS-13. We want citizens to understand how serious this problem is and the drastic measures that we are taking to combat this.”

District Attorney Dewey Hudson, who represents the Fourth Prosecutorial District, including Duplin, Sampson, Onslow and Jones counties, commended Wallace and his office for an “excellent job” in dealing with “these very violent and vicious criminals.”

Hudson noted that the men taken into custody were also being investigated for other robberies in the county and stressed that gangs are not just a Duplin County problem, but one that should be of concern for all of eastern North Carolina.

The district attorney echoed Wallace’s sentiments that such gang activity, which he called “frightening,” would not be put up with in Duplin and surrounding counties.

“Duplin County is not going to be a friendly place if you come here,” Hudson said. “Maybe this will send a message that, as violent and as vicious as these gang members are, we are just as committed in Duplin County and eastern North Carolina to combatting this activity.”

Hudson said that many of the gang members are from out of state and are “on a mission” to take over targeted areas, often recruiting local youths to become involved in criminal acts at the same time. He said this was the case with the armed robbery in the Albertson community.

According to Wallace, Duplin County sheriff’s deputies responded within minutes to La Jarochita, off of N.C. 111, following a call of the armed robbery at 2:59 p.m. Friday.

Sheriff’s Detective Eric Southerland said that it was within six minutes of the call of the robbery when authorities received two more calls, a second coming from personnel with the Albertson Fire Department notifying authorities of two wounded males, and a third, a 911 hangup, from nearby Albertson Mobile Home Park.

Wallace explained that, during the getaway, two of the MS-13 members were shot when one of the guns the men was holding discharged. The bullet shot off the middle finger of suspect Jose Alfredo Hernandez, before going into the back of another suspect, Daniel Bertham. Both have been treated for their injuries, he said.

After responding to the site of the armed robbery, deputies then went to the fire department and the mobile home park, where the two wounded men and three others were taken into custody.

Along with Hernandez, 24, of Carol C Mobile Home Park, Wallace, and Bertham, whose age and address were unknown, also arrested were Devis Cruz, 23, of 174 Wilmington Court Apts., Wallace; Wilmer Nolasco, 17, of 215 Albertson MHP, Albertson; and Francisco Moya Videz, 22, of Smithfield MHP, Smithfield.

Each was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon. Nolasco, Hernandez and Videz were placed under $100,000 secure bonds for the charge. Cruz and Bertham each received secure bonds of $50,000 and $200,000, respectively.

Four other men, also identified as members of MS-13, were later arrested when they rode up to the scene of the mobile home park in a separate vehicle. Each received charges of altering serial numbers and carrying a concealed weapon after firearms were recovered.

According to Southerland, in all, there were two .38-caliber revolvers, two 9 mm handguns and a .380 handgun seized as a result of the nine arrests.

The other four men arrested, on the weapons charges, were Geovanny Franisco Sauceda, 23, and Miguel A. Paredes, 21, both of 130 Pine St., Teachey; Erick Carbaja Cruz, 20, of 86 Logan Ave., N.J.; and Wilmer Alonso Maradiage, whose age and address was not known.

Sauceda and Paredes both received $50,000 bonds for the charges against them, while Maradiage and Erick Cruz were placed under $10,000 bond each.
    http://www.clintonnc.com/articles/2006/ ... tory55.txt
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

These concerned citizens need to turn to their gentlemen
    farmer neighbors & businessmen & say stop breaking federal
    law by hiring these felons.

My grandmother is from Bladen County next door to Duplin.
    Used to be a nice place to live. When I stop at the gas
    stations or fast food places off I40 on the way to the coast,
    the places are full of illegals.

Quote Originally Posted by dem4labor
    These concerned citizens need to turn to their gentlemen
    farmer neighbors & businessmen & say stop breaking federal
    law by hiring these felons.

My grandmother is from Bladen County next door to Duplin.
    Used to be a nice place to live. When I stop at the gas
    stations or fast food places off I40 on the way to the coast,
    the places are full of illegals.
    Well, so is the coast area now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since you're down in Brunswick Co & it's getting the
    housing boom, I bet it's 24x7.

yep they are building all up and down 211 and Long Beach Rd. Thats OK makes my old house on the beach worth more cause they ain't makin no more beach property.
    When it sells I'm out of here to Uwharrie.