Thread: Poetic justice?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Poetic justice?

http://www.starexponent.com/servlet/Sat ... 9188770287

Poetic justice?
    Liz Mitchell
    Staff Writer
    Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Homeowners placed a sign in English and Spanish in front of their porch at 1002 S. East Street saying "This is what happens when you Drink & Drive." (Staff Photo, Liz Mitchell)
    When a self-proclaimed illegal immigrant drove into the front porch at 1002 S. East Street, homeowner Jason Ketterer tried to confront him, but the driver ran away.

Ketterer, 26, likened the sound of the impact to a dump truck unloading bricks onto his front porch.

“I immediately spun around and saw a maroon Pathfinder come right into my front yard and take out our front porch,” Ketterer said. “I asked if he was OK and he said, ‘I’m sorry.’ So I said to wait there while I get my cell phone and when I came back out he had fled the scene.”

A foot pursuit ensued while the homeowner called 911. Close behind him were his neighbors, Mayor Pranas Rimeikis and Commonwealth’s Attorney Gary Close.

“I heard some tires and I heard a big impact,” Close said. “It was real close to the house and my wife was out driving so I was a little worried. I looked up the street and saw the car in the front yard of the house. I ran up there and the guy took off.”

According to Sgt. J.C. Welch of the Culpeper Police Department Officer Matthew Borders responded to the home Sunday afternoon for a report that a vehicle ran off the road and struck a house and the homeowner was chasing the driver. Borders found the driver and the homeowner on Old Fredericksburg Road.

“I saw the man crossing Old Fredericksburg Road and I yelled out to him that I need to talk to you,” Ketterer said. “And that’s when I started running towards him and he stopped and stared at me and put his hands up in the air and said, ‘No license.’ I didn’t know this at the time but a police cruiser was following me.”

Close said he has blisters on the bottoms of his feet from the chase but Ketterer ended up being the one to catch Gustabo Alberez, a 29-year-old Richmond resident.

“The owner of the house ended up being the guy who caught him, which is actually poetic justice,” Close said. “Pranas and I were like the dogs flushing out the bird.”

Welch said Borders’ investigation determined the driver was drunk and traveling southbound when he lost control, struck a fire hydrant and continued through the yard of 1002 S. East Street, striking the front porch of the house and ending up in a row of boxwoods.

Alberez faces charges of felony hit-and-run, driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a valid driver’s license.

The charges carry a total sentence of up to seven years in prison or a $7,500 fine. He was held in Culpeper County Jail without bond and is scheduled to appear in General District Court July 5 at 8:30 a.m.

Police estimate about $20,000 in damage has been done to the home, which Ketterer said is insured. He plans to file a civil suit, he said.

Alberez told police he was an illegal immigrant, Close said, which now requires Close to contact the proper authorities for deportation.

While Ketterer is pleased no one was hurt in the accident, he said the situation makes him wonder what would have happened if he had been outside at the time.

However, for Ketterer, the accident is only indicative of a larger problem: illegal immigration.

“Now it’s very apparent the problem with the increasing number of illegal immigrants in Culpeper,” Ketterer said. “What measures do we have to take to control the problem?”

Liz Mitchell can be reached at 825-0771 ext. 110 or emitchell@starexponent.com.

This story can be found at: http://www.starexponent.com/servlet/Sat ... 9188770287

Go Back
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Poetic justice?

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    “What measures do we have to take to control the problem?”
    The four things we must do are: (1). Secure our Borders. (2.) Crack down on employers that intentionally hire illegal labor. (3.) Remove all benefits such as licenses, in-state tuition, and welfare for illegal aliens. (4.) Empower local police to enforce immigration law.

http://www.alipac.us/article1111-thread-1-0.html
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I blame this all on our president. He has totally ignored enforcing the laws. He's been a total failure here and he should be ashamed of himself in how this problem has grown. He should be impeached for this fact alone. Look at how many of these stories you read here every day!
    On the other hand, regarding this illegal, how dam stupid can you get. You're in a country illegally, wouldn't you think that someone like that would be a model citizen??? He has no license, no insurance, and HE's DRUNK!!! What an idiot. Yep, president bush, we need 20 million more just like him to be U.S. citizens. That'll up the gene pool! Maybe compared to you!
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>