Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Puerto Rico Statehood: Santorum Backpedals from English Comment

Puerto Rico Statehood: Santorum Backpedals from English Comment

Published March 15, 2012
    Fox News Latino

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum has backpedaled from comments he made to a Puerto Rican newspaper in which he said making English an official language should be a "condition" of statehood for Puerto Rico.
    Santorum defended and cleared up the comments with reporters before he stopped for lunch in Old San Juan as he and his Republican rivals toured the island, which holds its primary on Sunday where 23 delegates are up for grabs.
    "Obviously Spanish would be the language here," Santorum said adding that it’s essential that English be taught and spoken "universally" throughout the island.
    Santorum went on to say the media misrepresented his comments to suggest that he wanted English as the "only" language, which he doesn't believe.
    He also reaffirmed his stance that English is the language of opportunity and that government in Puerto Rico should stress its' importance.
    "That’s something that I think is essential to be an American period, whether you’re going to be a state or not, people should speak English and it should be a common language among all Americans," Santorum said.
    The clarification from Santorum comes on the heels of an interview he had this week with Puerto Rican newspaper El Vocero in which he said English had to be the "main language" of the island to become a state by law. But in fact, no such law exists.

"I've said repeatedly that as a condition of admission that people would and could speak both languages, but they would have to speak English that would be the requirement," he said in the video interview posted below.
    "I don't see this as a threat to the culture of the island. I see this as a necessary and important step to affirm your commitment to fully integrate into American society as a state and a tremendous opportunity for people here in the island who in my opinion have been denied a lot of economic opportunities because the government has not emphasized the importance of English that is with my understanding required under law in the first place."
    Puerto Rico is set to hold a referendum on statehood in November. Whether to become the 51st state is the critical issue for this U.S. territory, which does not have full voting rights in Congress.
    The island's Republican governor, Luis Fortuño, backs statehood and supports Santorum rival Mitt Romney. Romney has been more aggressive in showing his support of statehood for Puerto Rico which has given him the governor's blessing. Santorum on the other hand remains neutral on the subject.
    The Associated Press contributed reporting to this story.

Puerto Rico Statehood: Santorum Backpedals from English Comment | Fox News Latino

"Obviously Spanish would be the language here," Santorum said adding that it’s essential that English be taught and spoken "universally" throughout the island."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rick. Have you been to Miamia lately? Sante Fe? Los Angeles? Replace the word 'island' in your above assessment and replace it with any of these U.S. cities now completely overrun with illegal aliens and you begin to get the picture.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Has anyone else noticed that anytime the liberal press writes about some controversy they THINK reporting on will hurt a conservative, they either say "back peddles" or "doubles down"?

The liberal press comes running in with a "stop the presses" article about how some Conservative said something that might offend some bisexual illegal alien Jewish paraplegic from Ecuador out there somewhere. They write up an article like it is the biggest horror since the Hindenburg and then when the Conservative politician reacts they paint it as Conservative X "doubles down" on his comments or Conservative X "back peddles".

Can't we as a nation find a way to further move these liberal writers into obscurity? I mean China, Mexico, and the Saudis own most of these already right?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why are the Republicans going to Puerto Rico? Does the Republican Party really want to make Puerto Rico a state? Romney is also down there too. I don't want Puerto Rico to become a state. I don't care if they speak English or not. Puerto Rico shouldn't have anything to do with the United States at all. It should be an independent country.

If Romney will not support English as the official language of the United States, I am not voting for him if he gets the nomination. Santorum will never get my vote irregardless. More and more it looks like None of the Above will be getting my vote for president again this year.