Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rep. Joe Heck On Immigration Reform

Rep. Joe Heck On Immigration Reform

AIR DATE: July 19, 2013

Rep. Joe Heck

BY MARIE ANDRUSEWICZ

Rep. Joe Heck is no fan of lengthy legislation. He thinks comprehensive immigration reform can be accomplished by six or seven smaller bills, rather than the mammoth proposal currently before Congress – “Nothing good comes out of a 1,198-page bill,” says Heck.

Despite its heft, Heck did read the entire bill during a flight home. Heck has said that among the provisions he would add to the current bill is new fencing as well as additional agents at the border.

“I’ve said, and I’ve always said, that I think a tough but fair pathway to earned citizenship that doesn’t allow anyone to jump to the front of the line, that has certain benchmarks that need to be met, like the ability to show that you can support yourself and your family, that you can speak English, that you have a clean criminal and national security background check, that I would support those,” says Heck.

What Heck thinks about immigration reform matters. He’s one of three House Republicans whose district is heavily comprised of immigrants. In fact, Politico reports that his district, along with those of Reps. Gary Miller (CA) and Mike Coffman (CO), will be targeted by ads sponsored by a Democratic PAC “branding the Republicans as unwilling to embrace reform.”

Heck acknowledges that immigration reform is a key issue for minority populations in his district. “I think it’s an important issue for them, I also think it’s an important issue for our nation. I think there is economic benefit for immigration reform not only when you look at the demographics, but also the long-term strategic implications to our state and to our nation.”

http://www.knpr.org/son/archive/deta...ProgramID=2831
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Republican Rep. Joe Heck Rips Own Party Over Immigration Reform

By Andy Kossak, Mon, October 28, 2013
    opposingviews.com

A GOP congressman expressed his displeasure with leaders of his own party after news came out that immigration bills for House votes might not take place this year.

In a strongly worded statement released on Friday, Nevada Rep. Joe Heck criticized the House Republican leadership for “punting” immigration reform until the 2014 election year, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

“It’s extremely frustrating and very disappointing to hear reports that the House does not plan on voting on immigration reform legislation this year,” Heck stated. “This is yet another example of the leadership vacuum in Washington that rightly has so many people frustrated with this dysfunctional Congress.”

Think Progress notes that Heck must rely on minority constituents for his 2014 reelection as he represents a district that is 16 percent Latino and 12 percent Asian-American, and local leaders of these communities have pushed him hard on immigration reform. At least 76 percent of his constituents believe that it’s important to fix the immigration system this year, and 61 percent of voters support the bipartisan Senate immigration reform bill.

“There are bills that have passed committee that could be brought to the floor next week, but the House Republican leadership may punt the issue until 2014 for political reasons,” Heck added in his statement.

Some local immigration activists still aren’t thrilled, even after Heck’s outburst.

“It’s frustrating,” said Laura Martin, communications director for the Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada. “People have gone to his office week by week, month by month asking him to say something to his leadership. He’s had a long time to get something going.”

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...gration-reform
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn