Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Senate approves fence for border

Senate approves fence for border

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national ... -5641r.htm

By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    September 30, 2006

The Senate last night gave final approval for construction of 700 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The bill passed on an 80-19 vote. One Republican, 17 Democrats and the chamber's lone independent voted against the measure.

The bill "will have a real impact on our homeland security now and is a vital step toward fixing the problem of illegal immigration," said Majority Whip Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, adding that Congress also has increased the number of Border Patrol agents and detention beds for apprehended illegal aliens.

"This legislation will take us much closer to the operational control of our border that our homeland security requires," he said.

Eight Democratic senators who supported the bill last night switched their position from the previous day, when they voted to block the fence. They are Sens. Barbara Boxer of California, Thomas Carper of Delaware, Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut, Tom Harkin of Iowa, Herb Kohl of Wisconsin, Barack Obama of Illinois and Charles E. Schumer of New York.

Many of the Democrats who joined Republicans on the vote either face close elections this November or represent mostly conservative states.

But for the most part, Democrats opposed the measure.

"We can build the tallest fence in the world, and it won't fix our broken immigration system. Nor will it strengthen security at our borders," Minority Leader Harry Reid said yesterday. "To do that, we need the kind of comprehensive reform that the Senate passed earlier this year."

The "comprehensive" legislation supported by Mr. Reid would grant citizenship rights to about 10 million illegal aliens already in the country and create a guest-worker program that would usher hundreds of thousands of new foreign workers into the country. That Senate-approved bill also would allow illegals to collect Social Security benefits accrued while working illegally.

That Senate bill also has many Republican supporters. But, realizing the comprehensive bill would not pass anytime soon, they supported last night's fence bill with the belief that at the very least the border should be secured.

Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican, said yesterday that he has long been a supporter of "comprehensive" legislation and still is.

"The place to start with that is the construction of fencing and other barriers to prevent illegal entry," he said.

House Republicans, who approved the fence bill earlier this month, applauded yesterday's Senate action.

But several other border security measures that the House approved this month essentially died on the Senate floor last night, when lawmakers were scheduled to adjourn to campaign for the November elections.

Among them was a bill to require voters to provide a valid photo identification before participating in federal elections. The Federal Election Integrity Act was approved on a nearly party-line vote in the House. Senate Democrats have said they are adamantly opposed to such legislation.

Also left incomplete by the Senate last night were House-passed bills to:
    • Give state and local law enforcement more authority to combat illegal entry.
    • Close a decades-old loophole that bars federal officials from placing illegal aliens from El Salvador into "expedited removal proceedings." The provision, adopted during El Salvador's 1980s civil war, means that suspected illegals often are freed back into the United States to await deportation proceedings but never are heard from again.
    • Allow federal officials to detain illegal aliens for more than six months if they are awaiting deportation. The same bill also would bar illegals from obtaining political asylum if they are found to be part of a "criminal street gang."
    • Criminalize the construction and financing of border tunnels with criminal penalties of up to 20 years' imprisonment for those who knowingly construct or help finance an unauthorized tunnel across a U.S. international border. Under current law, it is illegal to cross over a border but not under a border. In recent years, 39 such tunnels have been found along the southern border through which illegal aliens and large quantities of drugs are smuggled.

Still, Senate Republicans said yesterday they had made great strides this year in securing the border.

"This bill continues a significant commitment to protecting our borders and improving our overall national security," said Sen. Judd Gregg, New Hampshire Republican who has helped lead the effort for tighter border security.

Well yippeeeeee, it's a start.

Ignore it. Any member of the Senate that voted for S 2611 and amnesty and benefits for illegals SHOULD NOT receive our votes.

While tempting to be something to get excited about, a fence will stand as a hollow monument to a nation that once was if these tricksters have their way.

Added to the homepage with a note.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... e&sid=1539
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Among them was a bill to require voters to provide a valid photo identification before participating in federal elections. The Federal Election Integrity Act was approved on a nearly party-line vote in the House. Senate Democrats have said they are adamantly opposed to such legislation.
    No surprise here, the Democrats have the most to lose from a bill requiring a valid photo identification to vote.

ALIPAC wrote:

Ignore it. Any member of the Senate that voted for S 2611 and amnesty and benefits for illegals SHOULD NOT receive our votes.

While tempting to be something to get excited about, a fence will stand as a hollow monument to a nation that once was if these tricksters have their way.
    I hope you're saying ignore those folks that haven't shown consistency in their voting on the illegal immigrant issue and not ignore the fence. We cannot ignore the fence, we must stay vigilant and make sure the U.S. Congress keeps their promise and get that fence built. Sorry, I didn't think your meaning of what to "ignore" was real clear.

As for being excited about the fence, hey, I get excited about every victory we have, no matter how small or large. I do understand what I think your overall meaning is though, we have to temper our excitement with the reality that politics is like a poker hand, the best hand isn't always the winning hand, especially when your sitting at a table full of bluffers and cheaters. Folks also need to understand that that political winds can change direction quickly, that is why we must be relentless in pressuring our elected representatives at every phase of the game.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

OK-- anyone have an easy avenue to get back to the people who voted for amnesty. I already know my congressman is hot after amnesty plus he voted AGAINST the fence. I know my senators both voted FOR the fence but I'm thinking one of them, if not both, voted for 2611.

I'm prepared to vote libertarian against my congressman (El Paso, TX, (L) Gordon Strickland, in hopes that we can get our local anchor baby out of office. It seems that the choices are even less palitable for the contenders running against Hutchison. This vote is going to be more of a strategic move than a vote. And I'll be out there handing out flyers for the people I ultimately choose even if I have to buy the flyers to do it.

Hutchison has sat on the fence more than she has sided with Americans and I don't like her cocky attitude any better than I like our Rep. Governor Perry's. Incidentally, Perry claims operation linebacker as his brain child but it was actually the Sheriffs' who got tired of their deputies getting shot at across the border! What a slime ball!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey JR!

There's a thread with ALL the Senate and Reps for easy access. It's all graded ie: AMNESTY - Sitting on the Fence - NO Amnesty
    If you use it, please let me know how you like it.
    BLITZ - Call/Fax/Email info - House & Senate http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=35732

No, that isn't it. This is the "grades" thing that grades individual senators and congressmen.

And I'm well aware what my reps' addresses and phone numbers are.

There is a site that breaks them down by the bill number so you can see who voted for what. If I were on my other computer I have a link to it but not on this one.

Thanks tho.

Quote Originally Posted by JuniusJnr
    No, that isn't it. This is the "grades" thing that grades individual senators and congressmen.

There is a site that breaks them down by the bill number so you can see who voted for what. If I were on my other computer I have a link to it but not on this one.

Thanks tho.
    The 'grades' are at "numbers." However, we went through their actual votes and changed their grades to reflect what they were actually doing and saying behind the scenes as well as how they voted. Found that quite a few were for amnesty although in public they managed to throw up a smoke screen.

Oh, you are absolutely right. They sing out of an entirely different corner of their mouth when it comes time to take action. Hutchison is one of those. She either doesn't bother to vote at all or goes all out against her own countrymen. Recently, she voted for a free trade agreement with Oman. Needless to say, I told her exactly what I thought of that!

I belong to NumbersUSA, to FAIR, to TeamAmerica, and to just about any other political activist group that isn't out and out racist and against illegal immigration, by the way. Congress.org is a good source of information if you have time to monkey around. TX also has political profiles on a page called TX Insider that is helpful. Probably other states do as well.

I didnt see any funding in this bill. They vote every year to send the military to the border as well, but if they dont fork over the cash, it isnt going to happen.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast