Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Senate Majority leader against amnesty program for illegals

http://www.mercurynews.com

Posted on Wed, Feb. 22, 2006

Senate Majority leader against amnesty program for illegals

PETER PRENGAMAN
    Associated Press

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said he opposes a general amnesty program for illegal aliens, but declined to discuss whether he would support a guest worker program that would allow millions of immigrants to temporarily work in the United States.

"I oppose amnesty. Immigrants are important to our history, our economy, and are greatly valued by our country, but at the same time, our focus will be on the rule of law," the Tennessee Republican said Tuesday during a visit to the immigration detention center at the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles.

Frist also said the Senate would focus on border security when it begins considering immigration reform proposals next month.

He said he also expects some senators will push for guest worker programs, but added it was too early for him to take a position on the subject.

Frist's opposition to amnesty was not surprising - most lawmakers in favor of a guest worker program say they oppose a blanket amnesty. But some Democrats and Republicans, as well as President Bush, have said that legalizing the status of an estimated 11 million illegal aliens through some sort of guest worker program must be part of any immigration reform package.

In December, the House of Representatives passed a bill to build more fences along the U.S.-Mexico border and increase the number of immigration agents, but did not include any provisions addressing the status of illegals.

Meanwhile, Julie Myers, chief of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, called on Congress to stiffen penalties against companies that hire illegal aliens.

Myers, who was touring the ports with Frist, said that fines in particular need to be increased significantly because many businesses who hire illegals currently view them simply "as a cost of doing business."

First-time violators can be fined $250 to $2,000 per illegal employee, said ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice. Fines increase for repeat violators, Kice said, but can't exceed $10,000 per illegal employee.

Myers said ICE also wants increased access to Social Security data so agents can better track immigrants who use fake Social Security numbers to obtain work.

The agency will soon launch a voluntary program to help employers make sure they are hiring legal workers, Myers said. The focus, she said, will be on industries like construction, meatpacking and hospitality, where undocumented aliens often seek work. She declined to release further details.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

No where on his website, does it say anything about guest worker/amnesty or his position on illegal aliens, period.

He said he also expects some senators will push for guest worker programs, but added it was too early for him to take a position on the subject.

I suggest we flood his office with emails/phone calls and make him have an opinion. I've already contacted him.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

I sent my email and let him know where Americans stand, we are fed up!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Quote Originally Posted by rebellady1964
    I sent my email and let him know where Americans stand, we are fed up!
    Let us know if you get this rebellady:

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as Majority Leader of the United States Senate and a privilege to respond to your concerns.

As the Senate Majority Leader, I will continue to work closely with President Bush and with my colleagues in the Senate to address the many critical issues confronting our nation, especially the war on terrorism. The leaders of our country face many challenges and certainly need your encouragement. I am confident that we will continue to work together to protect America from those who would do us harm. We all must remain focused on the fundamental importance of this undertaking.

I am proud of the Senate’s accomplishments in the 109th Congress. We have tackled a number of key issues that will make America stronger, more prosperous and more secure. We have passed class action reform legislation to rein in frivolous lawsuit abuse in our legal system; provided funds for our troops and border security; passed a comprehensive energy bill which will lower energy prices and strengthen our nation’s energy security; passed a transportation bill that will boost our economy and encourage economic development in America's communities; and promoted trade agreements that reduce barriers to American goods and promote U.S. businesses at home and abroad. Significantly, we have worked to restore dignity and fairness to the judicial nominations process by assuring the principle of up or down votes on the President’s nominees. The President's candidate for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Roberts, passed by a vote of 78-22, and I look forward to continuing this work by ensuring a fair, expeditious, and respectful confirmation process for his remaining judicial nominees.

Again, thank you for contacting me. As the 109th Congress continues to address critical public policy issues, I will certainly keep your thoughts and concerns in mind.

Sincerely,

William H. Frist, M.D.
    Majority Leader
    United States Senate

Not once did he address my concerns about illegal immigration & omitting Congressman Tancredo from the SRLC.

"Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has pledged to consider immigration reform in February. Frist, R-Tenn., said his plan is to introduce a border security bill and use that as a base to debate guest worker ideas."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stori ... 08882.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)