Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sentence in illegal immigrant case splits court

Sentence in illegal immigrant case splits court
    wnem.com
    By ED WHITE
    Associated Press
    Posted: Sep 19, 2011 12:45 PM EDT
    Updated: Sep 19, 2011 1:18 PM EDT

DETROIT (AP) - A robbery of illegal immigrants has exposed sharp differences at the Michigan Supreme Court.

Chief Justice Robert Young Jr. broke with the court's conservative bloc and joined three liberal justices in letting a minimum 5-year prison sentence stand last week.

Jorge Ivan Torres-David pleaded guilty to armed robbery in 2009. A Wayne County judge added points to the sentencing formula after determining that Torres-David targeted illegal immigrants because he believed they would be reluctant to complain to police.

Supreme Court Justice Marilyn Kelly agreed with the trial judge. She says illegal immigrants are "vulnerable victims" when criminals view them as "easy targets."

Justice Stephen Markman calls the decision "remarkable." He and two other Republicans on the court say illegal immigrants now have greater protections as crime victims than law-abiding residents.

http://www.wnem.com/story/15496373/sent ... lits-court
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

illegal immigrants now have greater protections as crime victims than law-abiding residents
    What the hell! Why stop there. Lets just give them the Key to the Country while we are giving them everything else without having to be a citizen of this nation and on top of all that they are ILLEGALLY IN THIS COUNTRY!

And they wonder why people are angry over this issue of illegal alien INVASION!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou