http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-k ... -headlines

Soccer Players and Immigrants Share Common 'Goal!'
Mexican actor Kuno Becker goes global with the American dream

By Hanh Nguyen
May 9 2006

LOS ANGELES -- Amidst the immigration debate sparking demonstrations in America, comes the Disney film "Goal! The Dream Begins," about a young Mexican man who got past the border patrol to grow up in Los Angeles and become a pro soccer player in Europe.

Kuno Becker, who stars as aspiring footballer Santiago Munez, is a legal resident of the United States, but stands firmly on the side of the illegal immigrants who make their lives here. The actor, a Mexican telenovela star, is grateful to both his German and Spanish grandfathers, who left their homelands to make new lives in Mexico.

"I understand immigrants 100 percent. When I see these demonstrations, I see people who want to be part of a society," says the actor. "They want to adapt. I don't believe in trying to change society for you; I believe in you changing for society.

"And the story is about that: a kid with a big dream who wants to do something positive," adds Becker. "He doesn't want to do anything wrong; he's a good guy that works very hard every single day. It's funny because this movie is creating a little bit of controversy ... but it's an inspirational movie for everybody."

Although Becker played soccer casually growing up, he had to undergo rigorous, often painful training to look competent in front of the cameras.

"I broke both of my ankles," he says. "I had a stress fracture from too much straining. My body just said 'no.' Then somebody broke my nose in one of the scenes; it was an accident. Then I pulled every single muscle. It was the toughest thing I had ever done, but I really wanted the audience to believe I was a soccer player, otherwise they would be pulled out of the story."

The filmmakers received the full cooperation of FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association), which allowed them to shoot scenes during real Federation games and even feature cameos by players such as Real Madrid's David Beckham. Becker became such a familiar face at the games for Newcastle United -- Santiago's big break -- that the real-life crowds adopted his character as one of their own.

"We used to run into the field while shooting the film as they were about to play a game," Becker recalls. "It was funny because on the radio they were shocked. 'Who is this guy? The new guy from Newcastle? They never announce anything. What's happening here? Munez: What is that?' More and more they started to get used to us and at the end of the film, they were actually singing songs for Santiago."

Becker has already shot the second film in the "Goal!" soccer trilogy and hints that Santiago won't be the wide-eyed novice from the first film.

"I wanted to see the character evolve," says Becker. "I didn't want to play the same guy over and over, like three times. What we did in the second one is that Santiago is changing, becoming a lot more famous, kind of crazier."

"Goal!" takes its shot in theaters nationwide beginning Friday, May 12.