http://www.newstimeslive.com/news/story.php?id=1016650

State House candidates clash over immigration
By Fred Lucas
THE NEWS-TIMES

www.joetaborsak.com
Joe Taborsak, a Democrat running for state representative in the 109th House District.

DANBURY -- Just days after a rally outside of City Hall on the issue, illegal immigration has become a big issue in a state legislative race. What's more, a candidate's mother is even in the mix.

Gregg Seabury, the Republican candidate for state representative in the 109th House District in Danbury, presented a five-point immigration proposal Monday.

Seabury, who is running against Democrat Joe Taborsak for an open seat, proposes making English the official language of the state; cracking down on contractors who hire illegal immigrants; and granting cities and towns more flexibility to enforce zoning laws if multiple families are living in one housing unit. These issues would require legislation.

Seabury also calls for limiting driver's licenses to legal residents -- already the law -- and opposes granting in-state tuition to illegal immigrants, a proposal that failed in 2005 but could be resurrected in a future legislative session.

A bill providing in-state tuition for illegal immigrants was defeated, while the federal government requires that driver licenses only be granted to legal residents, Taborsak said.

"I'm missing what his point is. If he has a plan he should be more specific," Taborsak said. He added immigration is "the result of a failed federal policy. We need to push the federal government, particularly the Congressional representatives."

Taborsak, however, declined to say how he'd vote on the in-state tuition bill if it was introduced.

Though Joe Taborsak has talked little about illegal immigration, his mother, Danbury Common Council member Lynn Taborsak, publicly objected to the arrests last month of 11 illegal immigrants by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. .

"The people who were arrested in the recent ICE raid were illegal aliens who do not have the rights to be here," Seabury said. "Hence, they should fear deportation, and they shouldn't be seeking health care provided by the taxpayers of the city of Danbury."

Seabury added, "What (Lynn) Taborsak should be doing is encouraging people to take the necessary steps to gain legal status," Seabury said. "... I assume Joe and Lynn are on the same page."

Joe Taborsak thought it was odd his mother was being brought into the campaign.

"I wonder if Gregg Seabury agreed with his mother on every single instance?" the younger Taborsak said. "I am my own man. I have my own opinions, my own beliefs, my own education and my own experiences. Voters deserve more credit than to assume I take my mother's views."

Continuing to tout his proposals, Seabury said there is no downside to making English the official language of the state of Connecticut.

"We are spending countless dollars to have documents, phone messages, and a myriad of other things provided in Spanish," Seabury said. "It is a major cost to the taxpayers and it removes any incentive for people to learn the English language so that, once legal, they can assimilate into our society and excel."

Seabury wasn't specific about legislation to penalize contractors who hire illegal immigrants.

"This creates an unfair playing field for those honest contractors who hire people legally and pay the taxes they should be paying," Seabury said.