Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Torrance man shot after protests

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/article ... wAll=y&c=y

"What kind of a person would pull out a gun when there are hundreds of people around and start shooting?" his aunt asks.
    By Larry Altman
    DAILY BREEZE

An 18-year-old Torrance man who joined family members and friends in protesting an immigration reform bill was shot in the head in a confrontation with gang members in Lennox, family members said Tuesday.

Antonio Martinez IV was placed in an induced coma in the intensive care unit at County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Doctors removed a portion of his brain during surgery Monday.

"Nobody deserves this," said Martinez's aunt, Karen Peralta. "What kind of a person would pull out a gun when there are hundreds of people around and start shooting?"

Peralta said Martinez, his brother and two other family members drove to Lawndale to join in Monday's demonstrations. Thousands of students across Southern California walked off campuses and marched to protest an immigration bill passed in the House of Representatives that would make it a felony to be an illegal immigrant.

Martinez, a former Lawndale High student, joined a protest that moved through Lennox.

"He's Mexican," said friend Michael Martinez, who shares the same last name. "He had to go speak his mind about what he felt about the protests. Any kid would."

About 3 p.m., Martinez was back in his car headed along Inglewood Avenue to return home. Peralta said they stopped at 111th Street, where a gang member at a hamburger stand shouted out, "Where you from?"

That question, inquiring about a person's gang affiliation, often is spoken before a shooting.

Peralta said Martinez is not a gang member. Words were exchanged.

"Whoever that was pulled out a gun and started shooting," Peralta said.

Martinez reportedly raised his arm to protect himself. A .45-caliber bullet passed through his arm and entered the top of his head. He slumped over, lost control of the car and crashed into another vehicle.

"Somebody with no conscience, no heart," Peralta said. "I have to believe that person is evil through and through."

Martinez's younger brother ran from the car to a nearby medical clinic, pounding on the door. A doctor locked it, but a female employee ran out to offer aid, sitting Martinez up and clearing the blood from his mouth so he would not choke, Peralta said.

"She helped to save his life. She is an awesome person," Peralta said. "She is an angel sent from heaven. She is the reason he's alive."

Two of Martinez's cousins, ages 16 and 30, also were wounded. One victim was struck in the knee and required surgery; a bullet shattered the other's leg.

Both were expected to recover.

Sheriff's detectives handling the investigation could not be reached for comment Tuesday. A watch commander gave a similar account of what occurred.

Martinez, described as well-loved, takes welding classes at the Harbor Occupational Center, and recently interviewed for a job at a Petco store.

"He is a big, lovable teddy bear," Peralta said. "He helps his grandmother. In no way, shape or form is he gang-related."

This one really bothers me. I just moved from Torrance and I still have family in Lawndale.
    What I don't understand is why these people would go to Lennox to protest? This is one of the cities with the largest Hispanic gang population. What are these parents thinking?
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Torrance man shot after protests

Quote Originally Posted by lc0130
    http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/2540241.html?showAll=y&c=y

"What kind of a person would pull out a gun when there are hundreds of people around and start shooting?" his aunt asks.
    By Larry Altman
    DAILY BREEZE

An 18-year-old Torrance man who joined family members and friends in protesting an immigration reform bill was shot in the head in a confrontation with gang members in Lennox, family members said Tuesday.

Antonio Martinez IV was placed in an induced coma in the intensive care unit at County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Doctors removed a portion of his brain during surgery Monday.

"Nobody deserves this," said Martinez's aunt, Karen Peralta. "What kind of a person would pull out a gun when there are hundreds of people around and start shooting?"

Peralta said Martinez, his brother and two other family members drove to Lawndale to join in Monday's demonstrations. Thousands of students across Southern California walked off campuses and marched to protest an immigration bill passed in the House of Representatives that would make it a felony to be an illegal immigrant.

Martinez, a former Lawndale High student, joined a protest that moved through Lennox.

"He's Mexican," said friend Michael Martinez, who shares the same last name. "He had to go speak his mind about what he felt about the protests. Any kid would."

About 3 p.m., Martinez was back in his car headed along Inglewood Avenue to return home. Peralta said they stopped at 111th Street, where a gang member at a hamburger stand shouted out, "Where you from?"

That question, inquiring about a person's gang affiliation, often is spoken before a shooting.

Peralta said Martinez is not a gang member. Words were exchanged.

"Whoever that was pulled out a gun and started shooting," Peralta said.

Martinez reportedly raised his arm to protect himself. A .45-caliber bullet passed through his arm and entered the top of his head. He slumped over, lost control of the car and crashed into another vehicle.

"Somebody with no conscience, no heart," Peralta said. "I have to believe that person is evil through and through."

Martinez's younger brother ran from the car to a nearby medical clinic, pounding on the door. A doctor locked it, but a female employee ran out to offer aid, sitting Martinez up and clearing the blood from his mouth so he would not choke, Peralta said.

"She helped to save his life. She is an awesome person," Peralta said. "She is an angel sent from heaven. She is the reason he's alive."

Two of Martinez's cousins, ages 16 and 30, also were wounded. One victim was struck in the knee and required surgery; a bullet shattered the other's leg.

Both were expected to recover.

Sheriff's detectives handling the investigation could not be reached for comment Tuesday. A watch commander gave a similar account of what occurred.

Martinez, described as well-loved, takes welding classes at the Harbor Occupational Center, and recently interviewed for a job at a Petco store.

"He is a big, lovable teddy bear," Peralta said. "He helps his grandmother. In no way, shape or form is he gang-related."

This one really bothers me. I just moved from Torrance and I still have family in Lawndale.
    What I don't understand is why these people would go to Lennox to protest? This is one of the cities with the largest Hispanic gang population. What are these parents thinking?
    Illegals shooting illegals;what a new twist.