Law Enforcement Asking for Federal Money to Secure Border

Toggle Photos/Video
Posted: Feb 22, 2012 5:34 PM
Updated: Feb 23, 2012 8:54 AM

HIDALGO COUNTY - Local law officials met with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano during her visit to the Valley.

During her visit, she told them this area is the main gateway for cartel crime. Local officers say they need more federal monies to protect our borders.

From the bridge to our backyard, what happens on our streets may be down-played by our federal security leaders.

Napolitano said the Rio Grande Valley is one of the safest areas in the United States but it all depends on who you ask.

Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino was one of the law enforcement officials that met with her.

"She knows that Hidalgo County is the gateway. This is where the action is occuring. She knows that is evident by her visit and Commissioner Aguilar's visit," said the sheriff.

Napolitano painted a picture of peace for her Rio Grande Valley media audience.

"What you see here isn't what you see in Mexico," she said.

Those fighting for our protection acknowledged that we need federal help. They want money from Operation Stonegarden to continue to come our way. It pays for things like computers, vehicles and overtime.

"I understand that Stonegarden nationwide may be cut considerably. That's OK with me. Cut Stonegarden. Just don't cut us out," the sheriff said.

Trevino added his crime rate is down, but he still needs more money.

"We have reduced the crime rate and we live in a great peaceful county. Why do you want more money? The answer is we have to have sustained maintenance. We have to be able to keep the pressure on them," he explained.

Trevino said he told Napolitano spillover violence hit our streets last year. He says we need the feds to help.

"It won't be the last. We will experience them. I know we will. Things are getting volatile. Things are getting dangerous. We will experience them," said Trevino.

Law Enforcement Asking for Federal Money to Secure Border | KRGV.com | CHANNEL 5 NEWS | Breaking News Breaking Stories