Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: U.S. Deportation Flights Since 2011 Cost Over $838 MILLION

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Deportation Flights Since 2011 Cost Over $838 MILLION

U.S. Deportation Flights Since 2011 Cost Over $838M

January 24, 2017 | by Oren Peleg

Repatriation flights -- or flights paid for by the U.S. government to deport immigrants who crossed into the U.S. illegally -- have been a source of controversy since it began in Arizona in 2004. Now, some estimates of the program put the costs since 2011 at over $838 million.

"The American taxpayer would be hit with a fraction of these financial and environmental costs if we had a more complete border fence or if worker-protection programs, like mandatory e-Verify, were put in place like they should be," Dale Wilcox, executive director and general counsel of the anti-immigration group Immigration Reform Law Institute, told the Washington Examiner. "If we had the type of enforcement that other countries have, most of these thousand-plus flights per year would've have been unnecessary."

POPULAR VIDEO

SHOULD MOM STAY IN PRISON?

According to the Los Angeles Times, the repatriation flights began as a way to deport immigrants humanely, without sending them back to violent border areas. Ciudad Juarez, once the world's murder capital, sits right across the U.S.-Mexico border from El Paso, Texas. The city of 1.3 million people saw 2,086 murders in 2011 -- down from 3,116 the previous year, notes CNN.

"This type of collaborative effort to protect migrants and limit recruitment for organized crime is an important tool," Christopher Wilson, an associate at the Mexico Institute of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, said of the program in 2012, according to the Los Angeles Times. "This is an effective way to deal with this humanitarian crisis, in which migrants are dumped in parts of northern Mexico that are not all safe."

But Wilcox disagrees, supporting instead President Trump's proposed U.S.-Mexico border wall, notes the Washington Examiner. "These are the kinds of taxpayer expenses that have to be discussed when debating the costs of completing our border fence."

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...ants-back-home
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

LOL!!! Yeah that gig is over. Trump will fix that. He'll look at that number and go "whoa, I could have built Trump Tower for that and had something to show for it." Personnel carriers would be a wiser choice. Strap 'em in by the hundreds. You have to remember these are people who came here hiding in trunks and behind car dashes. A personnel carrier would be quite a step up. DHS can buy some old ones from the military, we'll get the military some new ones, hire some retired military pilots to fly them, they're the best pilots, and zoom 'em down there or over there all day long.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I say put the squeeze on them by immediately cutting off ALL freebies and make thousands of them self deport. That includes NO tax refunds for 2016 returns they are filing.

Cut off the gravy train $$$ of welfare, food stamps, school, medical care, jobs and they will leave.

In the meantime we get our ducks in a row and get the policies in place, that will stick, to end DACA, DAPA, catch and release and turn them right back around at the border.

Load up the military cargo planes and get them out. Load up busses and drop them at the border.

We need to force Mexico to deal with their own people...they have gotten away with dumping on the USA for far too long.

The billions we save in their IRS fraud will help compensate for deportation transportation. NO REFUNDS
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

NO DEAL ON DACA!!

NO EITC REFUNDS!!

NO FOOD STAMPS!!

NO LOW-INCOME HOUSING!!

NO MEDICAID!!

NO WIC!!

NADA!!

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My state spends over 500 million dollars a year on illegal immigration. It spends over 160 million a year on refugees. Add up the costs across the nation every year.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Anyone have the costs on the clean up of the TRASH & FILTH left on our borders...that our border States taxpayers have to foot the bill for?

Arizona had a TV program on it...it is disgusting...and it cost Arizona taxpayers a bundle.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

OH it's millions a year plus our parks. Our National Park Service has to clean up after them, too and I would imagine our US Fish and Wildlife organizations as well and our US Forestry Department. I think they start a lot of these forest fires.

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    My state spends over 500 million dollars a year on illegal immigration. It spends over 160 million a year on refugees. Add up the costs across the nation every year.
    It's heartbreaking. It's like robbing US blind. It's fraud, pilfering, feudalism, corruption, treason. It's insanity. People involved in this are all on the take with the drug cartels but none of them are stupid enough to be doing this out of ignorance.

... ICE Air has daily flights to Central American countries such as El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and also frequent flights to Nicaragua, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia and the Caribbean. When it gets enough immigrants to fill a plane, it also flies to Asia, eastern Europe and Africa...
    ===================

All (Illegal Immigrants) Aboard ICE Air

• By DAN HARRIS
    • AUDE SOICHET

SAN MIGUEL, El Salvador, Dec. 16, 2008

ICE Air could be the busiest airline you've never heard of. It serves 30 countries, tickets are free and unlike most carriers, it gives each passenger a complimentary meal. But to secure a flight, you need to be an illegal immigrant.

ICE is a one-way airline operated by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. At a time when most airlines are cutting flights and adding fees for aisle seats, extra luggage and snacks, ICE air is growing by about 10 percent a year.

\
    Play
    null

"We've actually added aircraft to our fleet, and we're actually seeing an increase in the number of aliens being moved around the country and out of the country," said Michael Pitts, the chief of flight operations.

ICE has 22 detention facilities all over the country. When illegal immigrants are caught, they're flown to one of three hubs in Texas, Arizona or Louisiana.

From there, ICE Air has daily flights to Central American countries such as El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, and also frequent flights to Nicaragua, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia and the Caribbean. When it gets enough immigrants to fill a plane, it also flies to Asia, eastern Europe and Africa.

ICE Air leases nine planes, and sometimes it also charters commercial jets. It flies six days a week.

A flight starts with a 2 a.m. wake-up. The illegal immigrants are rousted at a detention center where they eat breakfast, pack and ponder an involuntary trip home.

David Garcia was held at a detention center in Raymondville, Texas, before he was deported to El Salvador after 16 years in the United States.

"I have two kids over here," said Garcia, who came to the United States illegally and had been working in construction since the age of 19.

"I left a big part of my life behind," he said, choking up. "I have to start all over again. I don't know what I'm going to do over there. … It's kind of difficult, you know, but there's a lot of feelings going on me right now."

Garcia acknowledges that the United States "is not our country. We do not have the documents that we need to need to be there."

Many Illegal Immigrants ICE Air Sends Home Return

Jacqueline Ceciliano, who was working as a hotel housekeeper in New Jersey, was on the same flight as Garcia. She would see her two children for the first time in four years.

When asked if she was happy to be going home, she suppressed a sob as she said, "Oh, yes, yes … I'm happy."

Like many others, she wouldn't be able to send money home anymore, but she said she didn't care.

"I like this country. Everybody's nice. I like it, but I miss my babies. I miss my babies too much."

Security on ICE Air is, as you might imagine, pretty tough.

Passengers are patted down before they get on a bus to go to the airport, and are then patted down again before getting on the plane.

Unarmed security guards double as flight attendants, but the service is actually quite friendly.

"For most of these folks, they've had a long journey getting here to the United States. They've been in custody anywhere from two days to two weeks to two months, so we want to make sure that once they get onboard they have a favorable impression of the government," said Pitts.

Last year, ICE flew more than 209,000 illegal immigrants. Their numbers have increased as the government has cracked down on illegals, and the people at ICE Air say they're saving the U.S. taxpayers money.

"What it costs us is about $680 per alien on a foreign removal flight," said Pitts. "So that's about a third of the cost it would be to get them a commercial ticket."

Some of the flights are exclusively for people convicted of crimes.

On one flight to Mexico, all the passengers wore handcuffs and leg irons.

Guadelupe Cabarena, who was sentenced to five years for aggravated assault and turned over to ICE after her release, said she expected to come back to the United States.

"As a matter of fact, I was thinking just to rent a hotel room for tonight in Laredo or whatever, and then just to rest. ... I'm tired ... and then just come back," she said.

Raul Cornelia Pena, who served six years for solicitation to commit burglary, was being returned to Mexico for the second time.

"I didn't have no choice, because I wasn't going to leave my family behind and just say forget it," he said. "They sending me with no money, no nothing, I don't know anybody. I don't know what I'm going to do."

Deported to Home Country, Planning to 'Start All Over'

Pitts acknowledged that some of those deported return.

"There are going to be some aliens that do return back across the borders, but we're going to be there for them, if we don't take them out at the point of entry or between the point of entry, then we will get them in the interior of the United States," he said.

He said it's "a given" that some repeat offenders will return, "but by securing our borders and beefing up immigration enforcement we know that they'll be cut once again and returned."

Pitts said that those who have entered illegally must be returned home. "We need to respect the sovereignty of our nation as a whole.

If you want to come in the country; you need to come in the country legally."

After the flight to El Salvador landed in the capital city, passengers were served a traditional El Salvadoran meal and offered free employment training.

After a brief interview and a criminal background check, they were allowed to leave.

"I feel kind of weird, you know, everything is going to be new for me," Garcia said.

Returning home, he had to stop to ask for directions several times and was overwhelmed to see his father and the rest of his family.

The home he returned to was basic, with water coming from a well and animals everywhere.

"I'm happy, but I'm sad at the same time," Garcia said. "Everything is going to start all over again over here and ... I don't know how is going to be my life here. But I am going to try my best to success, you know."

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/ille...ory?id=6472915

NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast