Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

HIT THIS ONE HARD...Iowa Does Not Get It!

Poll link at bottom

Some Do Not Get It

Article I found on Iowa Site:

March 26, 2006 -- Waterloo
    Anti-Immigration Bill Sparks Protests

http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp?S=4684164
    A strong anti-immigration bill before congress is sparking protests across the country and right here in Eastern Iowa.

People and groups from around the country have been speaking out against this proposed legislation, including the Catholic Church. Catholic officials say this proposed legislation goes against basic Christian principles.

It's a bill that has many Americans outraged. House Resolution 4437 would make all undocumented immigrants felons. Those who help them would also face stiff penalties. Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Waterloo organized a prayer service and candle light vigil to protest the bill. Father Nils Hernandez says, "When people come to our church or our offices we never ask they are documented or undocumented. It is not part of our policy. We just serve people because by serving people we are serving Christ."

Miryam Antunez de Mayolo immigrated to the US from Peru and is now a immigration attorney. She says the proposed changes are unfair. "The enforcement of this law would fall heavily on Hispanics in general and Mexicans in particular. Therefore, I believe enforcement would be racist and discriminatory."

Like many who came to the service and vigil, Antunez de Mayolo believes prayer is the most powerful way to protest. "I'm here to pray because I know this would affect many people. I know many families would be separated." Father Hernandez says, "Prayer is extremely important so that... God is going to take of everything, but we have to do our part." The debate over this legislation will begin this week in Washington D.C.

Supporters of the bill say it's misunderstood. They say its purpose is to crack down on smuggling illegal immigrants into the US.

IMPORTANT POLL ON MAIN PAGE:

http://www.kwwl.com/global/category.asp?c=5142 Scroll Down
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

83% (355) In favor of tightening immigration laws
    w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miryam Antunez de Mayolo immigrated to the US from Peru and is now a immigration attorney. She says the proposed changes are unfair. "The enforcement of this law would fall heavily on Hispanics in general and Mexicans in particular. Therefore, I believe enforcement would be racist and discriminatory."
    Just because the majority of the border violators are hispanic/latino doesn't make enforcement of the laws against them discriminatory. If the laws are equally applied across nationalities, colors, races, etc.--i.e. deport them all--then no discrimination exists. Miss Mayolo needs to go back to law school and re-take Constitutional law.
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

if she can...

I'd like to vote but I don't see any poll link at the bottom of the link or anywhere else.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

They have closed the poll. Final results

March 27, 2006
    Poll Results: Immigration Bill

Which do you favor: tightening U.S. immigration laws or offering a guest worker program that would put working illegal immigrants on the path to becoming U.S. citizens?

83% (355) In favor of tightening immigration laws

17% (71) In favor of offering a guest worker program.

Thank you for participating in the KWWL online viewer poll.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Young adult white males are more prone to exceed vehicle speed limits, therefore enforcement of speeding laws falls more heavily on young adult white males, therefore young adult white males should be exempt from any traffic laws. Or, more generally since enforcement falls more heavily on those who break the laws, those who break the laws should be exempt from the laws.

I imagine Miryam is exempt from the laws of logic because she can't help breaking them.