Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Calif. lawmaker appears ineligible for tax break

How do these guys represent CA when they claim MD as theor primary residences - value of Stark's house reported as house 1.7million, Engle's 1 million.

http://news.aol.com/article/calif-lawma ... for/391670

Calif. lawmaker appears ineligible for tax break By KEVIN FREKING, AP

WASHINGTON -Democratic Rep. Pete Stark of California, a senior member of the House's tax-writing committee, appears ineligible for a tax break he has received over the last two years by listing a Maryland house as his primary residence.

Records show Stark saved $3,853 in state and county taxes in 2007 and 2008 through a tax break reserved for those whose primary residence is in Maryland. The 77-year-old congressman has lived in the Anne Arundel County waterfront home for decades, but he appears to have received the real estate tax break in just the past couple of years.

The break kicks in when a house's value increases by more than 10 percent. The credit would be worth about $3,800 this year if he were to receive it.

To get the tax break, homeowners must live in Maryland at least six months of the year, have a Maryland driver's license, be registered to vote there and file Maryland income taxes.

Stark said he lives in the house for most of the year, but he and his wife, Deborah, both have California driver's licenses and vote in California. Their state residence is in the San Francisco Bay area city of Fremont.

Maryland changed its law in 2007 so all homeowners have to submit an application before they can get the tax credit. Stark said he submitted his application in February.

"I suspect it will be denied to me based on what I had heard from other members, in which case, the tax will go up and I will pay the tax," Stark said. "End of story."

Stark, a member of Congress since 1973, serves on the House Ways and Means Committee and is best known for his work on health policy.

Over the years, a handful of lawmakers living in Maryland have been found to be ineligible for the tax break. Last week, state officials said U.S. Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., was not entitled to the credit.

Stark said he owns rental properties in California and is registered to vote at his in-laws' home there, which ensured that he would not miss mail. He said he is unsure how constituents will view the tax break he has received by listing Maryland as his primary residence but expected to find out at town hall meetings scheduled for this weekend.

"I'll let you know after my town meeting," he said. "I guess I don't think it will make a great deal of difference."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Calif. lawmaker appears ineligible for tax break

I suspect it will be denied to me based on what I had heard from other members, in which case, the tax will go up and I will pay the tax," Stark said. "End of story."
    Not so fast Cowboy!!!! I'd slap you *ss with fines that DOUBLE the amount owed.

ALL of these creeps need to be investigated!

YOU WRITE THE TAX CODE FOOL!!!!!!!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

WASHINGTON -Democratic Rep. pete stark of California, a senior member of the House's tax-writing committee, appears ineligible for a tax break he has received over the last two years by listing a Maryland house as his primary residence.
    Am I missing something here?

Am I to understand that a Calif lawmaker does not even live in Calif but in a luxury mansion on the East coast?

Maybe he hitches a ride with pelosi once a month so he can pick up his mail at the inlaws house? After all she has that taxpayer funded coast to coast jet standing by at her beck and call. (At $60000 per one way trip)

I do not understand this at all.............How can he truly represent the people of Ca if he does not even live there and walk the streets to see whats important to the people who trust him to do whats right for them?

Is this even legal................I cant see where it's ethical?

This is one of those things that make ya go "Hmmmmmmm"
    Illegal, or unlawful, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law

Since when has that been a consideration for any of these elected thieves!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Waiter
    WASHINGTON -Democratic Rep. pete stark of California, a senior member of the House's tax-writing committee, appears ineligible for a tax break he has received over the last two years by listing a Maryland house as his primary residence.
    Am I missing something here?

Am I to understand that a Calif lawmaker does not even live in Calif but in a luxury mansion on the East coast?
    He's following in the footseps of the enforcer, "Rahm Emanual!"

Maybe he hitches a ride with pelosi once a month so he can pick up his mail at the inlaws house? After all she has that taxpayer funded coast to coast jet standing by at her beck and call. (At $60000 per one way trip)
    I can't wait for someone being grilled by the incompetent Congress, to mention her plane!!

I do not understand this at all.............How can he truly represent the people of Ca if he does not even live there and walk the streets to see whats important to the people who trust him to do whats right for them?

NOPE! It's been going on up here in Maine by a low-level city Representative. She took it to court and lost.

This is one of those things that make ya go "Hmmmmmmm"
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris