Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Media ignores Sotomayor's 'Tan Klan' membership

Media Ignores Obama's SCOTUS Nominee's Membership In Radical La Raza Organization
    By John Stephenson (Bio | Archive)
    May 29, 2009 - 20:57 ET

Back in the 2006 nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court , Barack Obama criticized the philosphy on confirming Supreme Court Justices stating the Senate should "only examine whether or not the Justice is intellectually capable and is nice to his wife." He further objected that, "once you get beyond intellect and personal character there shouldn't be further question to whether the justice should be confirmed. Meaningful advice and consent includes an examination of a judge's philosophy, ideology, and record."

I agree with his objection, and find it very curious as to why Obama has focused on his nominee's empathy and "personal story" of how she was born in the Bronx, diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 8, her father's death, and how she overcame so many obstacles. It is also interesting to note how the media latched on to the sympathetic success story. Of course, it isn't surprising how quickly the media played on the heart strings of this narrative. However, as Obama advises, let's get beyond personal character and examine the judge's philosphies, ideologies, and record."

One statement made by Sotomayor is very disturbing in the realm of judicial philosophy. This month…a video surfaced of Judge Sotomayor asserting in 2005 [during a panel discussion for law students] that a ‘court of appeals is where policy is made.’ She then adds:

‘And I know — I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. Okay. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.’

This statement has been largely ignored by the main stream media yet the need for clarification is extremely important if the Senate is to approve this woman to one of the most powerful positions in America.

If we are to look at judge Sotomayor's personal ideologies it would be reckless to ignore her feelings on race and sex. One statement the media has been forced to cover, thanks to people like Rush Limbaugh, is quite alarming.

I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.

I imagine this is the kind of "empathy" Obama was looking for in a nominee, however the benefit of the doubt could rule she mispoke. Similar statements, however, seem to make clear exactly how she feels her sex and race influence her judgement:

"Our experience as women and people of color affect our decisions. Whether born from experience or physiological or cultural differences...our gender and national origins may and WILL make a difference in our judging. Personal experiences affect the facts judges CHOOSE to see."

That statement is pretty clear cut, and as far as I know completely unreported by the media. Just looking at Sotomayor's record, we can already see how she is prone to rule in race cases. We also shouldn't ignore what we ended up with the last time a nominee mentioned race and gender influencing decisions. However, the most disturbing reflection of Sotomayor's character is the company she keeps. According the American Bar Association, Sotomayor is a member of the NCLR, otherwise known as "La Raza".

As President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee comes under heavy fire for allegedly being a “racist,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Please call the Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. It is possible to stop this nomination. By the rules, they must have at least one Republican vote to get it out of Committee. Capitol switchboard:202-224-3121.
    Kyl
    Grassley
    Graham
    Hatch
    Sessions
    Cornyn
    Coburn
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Notice Obama didn't mention her cases, and her behavior as an attorney/judge? Know why? Can't much be said about Obama in those regards either. He had a law degree from Harvard that was barely used. He was just a paper pushing associate at a big law firm and not a trial lawyer. He's a book attorney, and has barely any experience in a courtroom and when he was, I'm sure he wasn't solo but had a team from the firm with him.

This is why he's so soft on her courtroom behavior.

Obama's Legal Career
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-904803.html#904803

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)