Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Richmond High School Gang-Rape Victim Speaks Out for First Time

by Edecio Martinez VIDEO COURTESY OF CBS AFFILIATE KPIX

RICHMOND, Calif. (CBS/AP) The 15-year-old victim of a gang-rape and beating at a Richmond High homecoming dance spoke out for the first time Tuesday.

"Violence is always the wrong choice," she reportedly said in a written statement delivered by victim advocate DeAnna Schlaum at a rally and candlelight vigil.

"We realize people are angry about this," the statement said. "But let the anger cause change; change that is necessary to keep our children, our neighbors and our friends safe. We thank everyone for their love, support and ongoing prayers."

Just hours earlier, police arrested a seventh suspect, Elvis Josue Torrentes, 21, of Richmond, for investigation of rape, rape in concert with force and other allegations that could lead to life in prison if he is convicted. He was being held on $1.2 million bail.

Prosecutors have filed charges against five other suspects, including 18-year-old Jose Carlos Montano of San Pablo late Monday. He did not enter a plea during his brief arraignment Tuesday.

(AP Photo/Noah Berger)Photo: The picnic area at Richmond High School where police say a 15-year-old girl was allegedly raped.

Police released a sixth suspect, Salvador Rodriguez, on Nov. 2 for lack of evidence.

Suspect Cody Ray Smith, 15, pleaded not guilty to charges, while fellow suspects Ari Abdallah Morales, 16, Marcelles James Peter, 17, and Manuel Ortega, 19, did not enter pleas during their arraignment as adults in Contra Costa County Superior Court.

Attorney Ernie Castillo, who represents Morales, said Tuesday that his client likely will not enter a plea when the suspects return to court Thursday. Castillo said Morales may not do so until prior to a preliminary hearing. It could not be determined if the other suspects had retained lawyers.

Janet Gutierrez, 16, a junior at the school, said the rape has made her concerned about her own safety.

"I'm not scared to be in school," Gutierrez said. "But I'm not going to walk around outside, especially when it's dark."

Community leaders were asking for 100 volunteers to help keep the school safe.

"I pray that we can use this horrific and heinous incident as a teachable moment," said the Rev. Andre Shumake, who made the plea.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/08/03 ... 6544.shtml
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ok. It needs to be said.

When you're raised in a culture of violence at home you learn violence.

Not only should the actual rapists be charged and sentenced to very, very long terms in prison but so should those who watched and did nothing to help.
    An American of Irish descent - NOT an "Irish-American".
    He is my son. He currently serves for us in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonderis
    Ok. It needs to be said.

When you're raised in a culture of violence at home you learn violence.

Not only should the actual rapists be charged and sentenced to very, very long terms in prison but so should those who watched and did nothing to help.
    I agree that the "watchers" should be charged and sent to prison. It would be different if they happened to walk by, and did nothing, but kept walking because they did not want to get involved (although that would be sad also). But they watched. They watched because it was entertainment for them. And that is why they did not try to help also. So by watching the crime as entertainment, they were participating.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    I agree that the "watchers" should be charged and sent to prison. It would be different if they happened to walk by, and did nothing, but kept walking because they did not want to get involved (although that would be sad also). But they watched. They watched because it was entertainment for them. And that is why they did not try to help also. So by watching the crime as entertainment, they were participating.

I agree wholeheartedly.

So very sad that they learned no compassion at home. They couldn't have. Even the most minute amount of compassion and morals would have had them calling for help instead of watching.

Now they'll all claim that they were afraid they would be "beat up" by the others. Self-serving. Why would they be afraid? All they had to do was leave. It's not like the others were beating the poor girl up. They were too busy doing something far worse - raping her while the rest waited in line for their turn.

The whole thing just sickens me.

btw...nice pony there in your avatar. Red dunn? I miss my ponies.

I agree wholeheartedly.

So very sad that they learned no compassion at home. They couldn't have. Even the most minute amount of compassion and morals would have had them calling for help instead of watching.

Now they'll all claim that they were afraid they would be "beat up" by the others. Self-serving. Why would they be afraid? All they had to do was leave. It's not like the others were beating the poor girl up. They were too busy doing something far worse - raping her while the rest waited in line for their turn.

The whole thing just sickens me.

btw...nice pony there in your avatar. Red dunn? I miss my ponies.
    Absolutely, they just had to leave....and then once in a safer area....call for help. They stayed because they wanted to watch.

My avatar: I dont really know what kind of horse it is. It is not my horse, just a pic I found that I liked. I use to have a horse....a quarter horse. I love horses too.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Not only did they not call for help but several could have tried to stop it. This is no different than the ones in my condo complex who don't call for help when they hear domestic violence. There have been cases where the woman has actually screamed call the police in Spanish. It seems like some people are just like that.
    Has anyone determined if any of those involved were indeed illegals? There are ways to find out as it is public information. Their jail booking info should say if there is an immigration hold on them.

Absolutely, they just had to leave....and then once in a safer area....call for help. They stayed because they wanted to watch.
    My avatar: I dont really know what kind of horse it is. It is not my horse, just a pic I found that I liked. I use to have a horse....a quarter horse. I love horses too.
    Exactly. They didn't have to run, make a scene, etc. Just leave and call for help.

LOL. Your avatar. It looks like my Gypsy in the head. (Everyone had a mare named Gypsy. ) She looks Quarter/Thoroughbred cross.

Now, had this been my boy and not my friend's this would have been my avatar.

He smiles so pretty on command. Love his bite ethic, too. Others? Not so much.

Sorry, all. Ok. Back on topic.

Exactly. They didn't have to run, make a scene, etc. Just leave and call for help.

LOL. Your avatar. It looks like my Gypsy in the head. (Everyone had a mare named Gypsy. ) She looks Quarter/Thoroughbred cross.

Now, had this been my boy and not my friend's this would have been my avatar.

He smiles so pretty on command. Love his bite ethic, too. Others? Not so much.

Sorry, all. Ok. Back on topic.
    LOL!!! Those are some nice...ahem....teeth. Bet he brushes with Crest. LOL

Hysterical, isn't it? Halloween dog. They look like the fangs from the party stores that kids use for trick-or-treating.

That boy would rip a person a new one and take their arm off if they were a threat. (Hence my comment about "bite" ethic but only on command.)

Yet, put him on a Sitz, Blieb and say, in the sweetest voice, "Gimme a smile" and there's the result. And he looks so menacing!

Ahem...don't we all use Crest? I didn't know there was another brand.

How neat your dog speaks German! And that is a fabulous photo with his Halloween look!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast