Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TN-OPINION-Sheriff Gobble: Illegal Immigration

Sheriff Gobble: Illegal Immigration

The Chattanoogan
    by Bradley County Sheriff Tim Gobble
    July 24, 2009

Illegal immigration remains a hot-topic issue all over the country.

It’s important to separate those who come here from other countries through legal channels from those who ignore our laws and attempt to sneak in.

The United States has always welcomed legal immigrants, but having people cross our borders illegally cannot, and should not, be allowed.

The BCSO has been proactive in identifying and confronting criminal activity in our community, including those who are here illegally.

Whenever a person is arrested for a crime in Bradley County, regardless of who they are, their identities are checked against our Criminal Alien Program (CAP) to determine citizenship or legal status.

Anyone who is found to be here illegally, is turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for deportation, upon completion of their sentence or disposition of their court case.

Last year, the BCSO arrested 49 illegals in Bradley County, and so far this year, we have arrested 29 more. They have all been turned over, or are waiting to be turned over, to ICE for deportation.

This sends a message that Bradley County is not a sanctuary for anyone attempting to bypass or subvert our immigration laws.

I cannot overstate how important border security is to the safety and stability of our nation. It is estimated there are between 11 to 20 million illegal aliens in this country.

The unrestrained flow of illegal traffic across our borders has a direct impact on national security and the ramifications of allowing it to continue go well beyond Bradley County.

International crime syndicates, terrorists and violent street gangs such as MS13 are well-positioned to take advantage of countries that fail to secure their borders, and they are doing so. National security demands that we must do a better job of securing our borders.

With the country straining under weakened economic conditions and with some states actually facing bankruptcy because of uncontrolled spending, the influx of illegals burdening U.S. medical and social services is no longer viable.

As a nation, we cannot continue supporting mass groups of non-citizens with U.S. citizens’ taxpayer money.

I can’t fault anyone for wanting to enter our great nation and build a better life for themselves and their families, and if they follow the legal immigration process and obey our laws, they are welcome.

I also support educational and work visa programs for anyone who complies with the laws of the land.

However, we are a nation of laws and those laws were designed and implemented at the will of the people. As sheriff, it is my job is to enforce the law.

I have always said that one of the first requirements of citizenship is to obey the laws of the land. When someone intentionally and willfully comes into this country in violation of these laws, they have failed one of the basic tenets for granting citizenship.

The BCSO is doing everything legally possible to deal with the problem here in Bradley County, and I will continue to do so in the future. Elected officials have a duty and responsibility to listen to you.

This government still belongs to “the people.â€

The legals and illegals are so intermingled it is impossible to separate them. Strict Enforcement and Secure the Borders are the only logic answers
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)