Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

2 Strong Letters on Immigration from TX Congressman Burgess

Congressman Burgess represents the 26th District of Texas.

"I plan on doing all that I can to prevent granting amnesty to those who have not lawfully earned citizen status."

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Fairness for American Student Act. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important legislation.

As you might know, the Fairness for American Students Act, H.R. 4548, was introduced on January 27, 2010 by Rep. Todd Tiahrt [R - Kansas]. If passed, H.R. 4548 would restrict the benefits that illegal aliens are allowed to receive regarding postsecondary education. Currently, under the 1996 Immigration Act, states are allowed to extend in-state tuition benefits to illegal aliens who reside in their state. This provides those individuals with a subsidized education that is otherwise unavailable to out-of-state American students. The Fairness for American Students Act would end the in-state tuition subsidy specifically provided for illegal aliens.

H.R. 4548 has been referred to the House Education and Labor Committee. I am not a member of this committee, but you can be certain that I will keep your comments in mind should this legislation be presented on the House Floor for a full vote.

As a representative from a border state, I have seen the negative impact that illegal immigration can have on communities. Illegal immigration distorts the labor market, erodes national integrity, and places those illegally entering the country at risk of a whole host of dangers because of their lack of legal status. I am committed to reducing illegal immigration into this country. Throughout our history, immigrants have made important scientific, cultural and political contributions to the United States. I believe our policies must ensure that the contributions of law-abiding legal immigrants are not eclipsed by the negative impact that illegal immigration can have on our country.

I will work hard to ensure that border enforcement is increased, immigration laws are enforced, and that employers hiring illegal aliens face more stringent sanctions. I plan on doing all that I can to prevent granting amnesty to those who have not lawfully earned citizen status. Today, with nearly 8-10 million illegal aliens in the United States, granting amnesty to individuals who have illegally entered our country is nothing more than rewarding criminal behavior. I am a strong supporter of the E-Verify program and believe it is a necessary step in getting our arms around the country's problem of rampant illegal immigration.

I voted in favor of the Secure Fence Act, which was signed into law in 2006. This Act directed the Department of Homeland Security to provide at least two layers of reinforced fencing, installation of additional physical barriers, roads, lighting, cameras, and sensors near strategic parts of the U.S.-Mexico Border. I am proud to have supported this important piece of legislation, which is an essential tool in protecting our country. I stress, however, that physical barriers along our borders are merely one facet of a comprehensive solution to illegal immigration.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. Please feel free to visit my website (www.house.gov/burgess) or contact me with any future concerns.

Sincerely,

Michael C. Burgess, M.D.
    Member of Congress

received by email
    Date: 2/23/2010 3:24:21 Pacific Standard Time
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like this guy. But I have to take issue with his estimate of 8-10 million illegals, as the estimates these days are much, much higher, and more are getting in here daily.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I originally thought I had received two copies of the same letter from Rep. Burgess, but when I opened the second it was a separate reply on another issue. While the wording used in both is similar, to his credit it is not identical. I have a great deal of respect for the positions he has taken on a number of issues I believe important, and I feel he has quite specifically laid out in both letters what he believes and intends to emphasize as we try to deal with what unfortunately has become the complex matter of immigration in this area of the country.

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on the Bipartisan Reform of Immigration through Defining Good Enforcement Resolution (BRIDGE), House Resolution 1026. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you may know, the BRIDGE Resolution, House Resolution 1026, was introduced by Rep. Jason Chaffetz [R-Utah] on January 21, 2010. If passed, this resolution offers a legislative strategy for the possible debate on immigration reform that may be taken up during the 111th Congress. This resolution encourages Congress to make E-Verify mandatory for all employers, secure our borders and reject amnesty for illegal immigrants. Currently, H. Res. 1026, has been referred to the House Committees on the Judiciary, Education and Labor and Homeland Security.

As a representative from a border state, I have seen the negative impact that illegal immigration can have on communities. I believe the proposals included in House Resolution 1026 would move the immigration reform debate in the right direction. I am committed to reducing illegal immigration into our country. I will work hard to ensure that border security is increased, immigration laws are enforced, and that employers hiring illegal aliens face more stringent sanctions.

One important aspect of immigration reform is the E-Verify program. I believe E-Verify believe is a necessary step in getting our arms around the country's problem of rampant illegal immigration. As our nation faces soaring unemployment rates, it is crucial that we ensure American citizens aren't competing for jobs with those who have crossed our borders illegally. Rest assured that I will continue to support E-verify. Additionally, I will work hard to ensure that border enforcement is increased, immigration laws are enforced, and that employers hiring illegal aliens face much more stringent sanctions.

Further, I strongly oppose any proposal to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. The blanket amnesty that went into effect in 1986 only encouraged and led to more illegal immigration into this country. Today, with nearly 8-10 million illegal aliens in the United States, the need to increase enforcement of our immigration laws and support provisions that make the legal immigration process viable has reached a critical juncture. Granting amnesty to individuals who have illegally entered our country is nothing more than rewarding illegal behavior and should be avoided at all costs.

I believe immigration policy must ensure that the contributions of law-abiding individuals are not eclipsed by the negative impact that illegal immigration can have on our country. I will work hard to ensure that border enforcement is increased, immigration laws are enforced, and that employers hiring illegal aliens face much more stringent sanctions.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. Please feel free to visit my website (www.house.gov/burgess) or contact me with any future concerns.

Sincerely,

Michael C. Burgess, M.D.
    Member of Congress

received by email
    Date: 2/25/2010 3:23:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time