Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Birther' says N.Y. state agency has goods on Obama

'Birther' says state agency has goods on Obama

But HESC says student loan documents showing claim of Indonesian citizenship do not exist

Casey Seile, Times Union
    By Casey Seiler
    Updated 5:29 pm, Tuesday, August 13, 2013

• After being told to leave the Memorial building in Topeka Monday, Sept. 17, 2012, Orly Taitz, a California lawyer and dentist, talks to media as those that disagree with her hold signs(AP Photo/Topeka Capital-Journal, Thad Allton/archive)
      After being told to leave the Memorial building in Topeka Monday,...

ALBANY — A prominent member of the "birther" movement claims that an employee of the state Higher Education Services Corp. told her that documents showing President Barack Obama identified himself as a citizen of Indonesia three decades ago were hidden away in the agency's vault.

But HESC says that while the employee exists, the documents do not.

Orly Taitz, a California-based lawyer, real estate agent, conservative activist and dentist, identified the "whistleblower" as HESC employee Laurie Hathaway in an affidavit sent to U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa, the Republican chair of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Taitz said she first encountered Hathaway in May at a conservative rally in Washington, D.C.

"Ms. Hathaway advised me that she is desperately trying to provide the public with evidence of fraud committed by Barack Obama, specifically the fact that Barack Obama received an educational loan from HESC as a foreign citizen, a citizen of Indonesia," Taitz wrote in the affidavit, which she has posted to her website.

HESC administers numerous student loan and grant programs, including the popular Tuition Assistance Program. Its spokeswoman Kathy Crowder said in a brief statement that "HESC has no student financial aid records regarding President Barack Obama, nor any student financial aid records under the alleged pseudonym Barry Soetoro."

While the foundational birther claim is that Obama was born a Kenyan citizen due to his father's origins — there are conflicting theories about the site of his birth — supplementary plotlines argue that the future president's American citizenship was surrendered during the four years (1967-1971) he lived in Indonesia after his mother married Lolo Soetoro.

While none of these claims have been substantiated, they persist among a fringe of the president's most hardcore opponents.

Obama transferred from Occidental College in Los Angeles to Columbia University in New York City in 1981, and graduated with a bachelor's degree two years later.

In a phone interview Monday, Taitz confirmed the account contained in her affidavit, and said that Hathaway "said she would try to get the individual records and give them to me."

According to the affidavit, Hathaway told Taitz the pertinent documents were kept in a vault at HESC headquarters in Buffalo. HESC's headquarters are in Albany, and the agency says it has neither employees nor offices — much less a vault — in Buffalo.

After the story of her affadavit was posted on timesunion.com on Tuesday afternoon, Taitz said in an e-mail that she "misspoke" by referencing Buffalo. "I believe HESC used the error in the name of the city to obfuscate the records," she wrote, although the agency's statement isn't specific to that city.

Taitz's affadavit states that Hathaway "advised me that other employees of the HESC saw the same documents and (were) aware of Obama's loans received based on his status of a foreign student and fraud committed by Obama in asserting his eligibility for the U.S. Presidency claiming the U.S. citizenship, while retaining the Indonesian citizenship," Taitz wrote.

Taitz said the two exchanged a few phone calls and e-mails in the weeks that followed, but "shortly thereafter, Ms. Hathaway's cell phone was disconnected and nobody responded at her home number."

Taitz made her last attempt at communication on Saturday. "As I was leaving a message for her, a man answered the phone," she writes in her affidavit. "The man sounded very frightened and asked me not to call or e-mail Ms. Hathaway because FBI is investigating ... because she blew the whistle and provided information to me."

Efforts to reach Hathaway through social media were unsuccessful.

HESC's Crowder confirmed Hathaway was an employee but refused to say if she faced disciplinary action related to her alleged interaction with Taitz. "HESC ... cannot discuss personnel matters," Crowder said in her statement.

In her affadavit, Taitz called on Issa to conduct hearings into her contention that Obama "is usurping the U.S. Presidency based on fraud, harassment, intimidation and use of stolen and fabricated IDs," and what she sees as a vast cover-up.
    Taitz has spent the past five years on a so-far fruitless campaign to block Obama from elective office by questioning his citizenship. In 2012, she filed numerous state-by-state legal challenges to the president's place on primary ballots as well as his status in the general election. All were ultimately rejected by the courts.

In 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a $20,000 fine levied against her stemming from a lawsuit Taitz filed on behalf of an Army captain who said her orders to deploy to Iraq were invalid because Obama was not a legitimate commander-in-chief.

Taitz has become increasingly marginalized even among the president's fiercest critics. In March, she was booed down as she questioned a panel organized by those not invited to participate at the Conservative Political Action Conference — a panel, in fact, made up of people whose claims are considered too controversial by other conservatives.

On the campaign trail last year, Obama told supporters that he and his wife were only able to finally pay off their student loans in 2004 after the success of his best-selling autobiography, "Dreams from My Father."

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Birther-says-state-agency-has-goods-on-Obama-4729488.php
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Rand Paul: 'I'm not a birther,' declines to address Cruz's eligibility for ...
    The Hill (blog) - ‎25 minutes ago‎
    I decided a long time ago I wasn't going to be a birther for Democrats. I'm not a birther for Republicans,” said Paul, who is seen as a potential presidential contender, about his possible 2016 rival in an interview on CNN . . .
    NO AMNESTY

NO AMNESTY