Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cinco de Mayo, Ocho de Mayo

May 08, 2010
    Cinco de Mayo, Ocho de Mayo
    J.C. Arenas

Mexican-American students at a school in Morgan Hill, California have feigned outrage because a group of students outfitted themselves in bandannas and t-shirts designed with the American flag on them on Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday. Unfortunately, these students have demonstrated they are more American than Mexican, even though they would like us to believe otherwise.

Cinco de Mayo is not even considered a national holiday in Mexico, it's a regional holiday mostly celebrated in the state of Puebla, which means there are Mexicans, who actually live in the country, who don't necessarily celebrate it.

Americans for some reason have adopted this particular holiday and some use it as an occasion to run to bars to eat nachos and drink Coronas, without even really knowing the significance of the holiday.

I have no problem with that, but choosing to celebrate the day is an elective choice.

We are not obligated to celebrate a day that has significance to another nation even if a faction of our society has ties to that nation. I've never heard of anyone becoming angry if they don't see someone wearing green on St. Patrick's Day, but now we have to be careful on May 5th?

Should I lead a march on February 27th, Dominican Independence Day, or January 9th, Panama's Martyrs' Day, because I don't see Americans celebrating?

Of course not.

I think it is important that we realize that the debate currently being had isn't really about Cinco de Mayo.

For some reason, we have some Mexican-Americans, who even though they are Americans, feel that Mexican culture and society and culture should officially be mainstreamed into American culture and society. We should accept that millions of Mexicans have entered the country illegally, and they should be made citizens just because they should and now Americans have to watch what they wear on one of the country's holidays because we have some fellow Americans here that celebrate it.

I would never expect anyone to forget their roots just because they are here in America-I know I haven't-pero tus raĂ*ces son tus raĂ*ces. Freedom is what has made this country what it is today; apparently these students from Morgan Hill have failed Civics class. In this country, you can't subject people to your will just because you want it that way, and if you ever find yourselves on the other side of an issue of this nature, the first words that will come out of your mouths is, "it's a free country".

And with that being said, as far as I'm concerned-and as an American, it's my right to feel this way-in this country, Cinco de Mayo, is the same as Ocho de Mayo, just another day in America.

www.americanthinker.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Up until a few years ago, after the implantation of "Operation Hold the Line" and the new mega fence along the border, Halloween had been turned into a nightmare here in El Paso. Illegal Mexican people using it as an excuse to go door to door panhandling. Although they had zillions of kids in tow, the bulk of the people at Halloween were adults. Not dressed in costumes or anything but coming to our doors singing out "TREEK OR TREEEEAAAT" and wanting us to hand out not just candy but canned food, money and clothes. I thought it was sickening that they were so low as to turn a kid's night out to have fun into their personal night for city wide begging.
    Most everyone else that doesn't do that has turned to private parties and school functions for their kids to go to on Halloween rather than deal with those people. Thus....they don't just feel the right to force Americans to live with and participate in THEIR holiday events, they steal our holidays and tranditions and turn them into a Mexican event.

a little humor about stinko de mayo...

Most people don’t know that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico…. But as we know….the great ship did not make it to New York….The ship hit an iceberg and sank….and the cargo was forever lost…. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery….were disconsolate at the loss…. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day…. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th….and is known….of course….as Cinco de Mayo….
    Detect, Detain, and Deport - The 3-D method of choice!!