Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Commentary from U.S. Border, Okla. Rep. Mary Fallin

HURRAH for Rep. Mary Fallin (5th Dist.), Oklahoma:

Press Release
    Media Contact:
    Alex Weintz (202) 225-2132

My Visit to the Border, by Rep. Fallin
    July 17, 2008
    Washington, DC -- I recently had a chance to visit one of the true hot spots in America’s effort to control illegal immigration, the U.S./Mexican border near San Diego. For two days I walked the border fence and observed traffic at border crossings with officers from the Customs and Immigration services. I even took an aerial tour in a helicopter.

The good news is that we are doing a better job securing our borders. Our safeguards, from the fences we have built, sensors in the ground, video cameras, to tighter surveillance at border crossings, are more layered and effective. I am convinced we are more successful at stopping those who would sneak across or smuggle drugs.

Now I am even more convinced that securing the border has to be our first order of business. Until we stop the inflow, we can’t begin to consider how to deal with those who are already here.

But the bad news is that there are still an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States. I spoke with one of our agents who had just interviewed an illegal immigrant who had been taken into custody after living here for some time.

She told him she had received subsidized housing and free medical care and free schooling for her children. When he asked her if she felt bad about taking advantage of the American taxpayer, she said, “No, why should I? Your government gives it all to me!â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But the bad news is that there are still an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States. I spoke with one of our agents who had just interviewed an illegal immigrant who had been taken into custody after living here for some time.
    Again with the 12 million! Good work by Rep. Fallin, but I wish they'd all stop using that number. I passed 12 million on I5 yesterday.