Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Conservatives Consider 3rd-Party Run

Conservatives Consider 3rd-Party Run
    By RACHEL ZOLL

Some of the nation's most politically influential conservative Christians, alarmed by the prospect of a Republican presidential nominee who supports abortion rights, are considering backing a third-party candidate.

More than 40 Christian conservatives attended a meeting Saturday in Salt Lake City to discuss the possibility, and planned more gatherings on how they should move forward, according to Richard A. Viguerie, the direct-mail expert and longtime conservative activist.

Other participants in the meeting included James Dobson, founder of the Focus on the Family evangelical ministry in Colorado Springs, Colo., and, according to Viguerie, Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, a conservative policy group in Washington.

However, Dobson spoke out against the idea of a third party even if "both Democratic and Republican nominees are known to be entirely unsupportive of the sanctity of human life, the institution of marriage and other aspects of the pro-moral agenda," according to Gary Schneeberger, a spokesman for Focus on the Family Action.

A spokesman for Perkins did not respond to requests for comment Monday.

Viguerie would not give specifics of the proposal or reveal additional names of participants, but said President Bush "would not have been elected in '04 without the people in that room."

"There is such a jaundiced feelings about any promises or commitments from any Republican leaders," he said in a phone interview. "You could almost cut the anger and the frustration with a knife in that room it's so strong. Because they don't know what else to do, they're talking third party."

A spokesman for the Republican National Committee did not respond to a request for comment.

The participants were in Salt Lake City for a separate meeting of the secretive Council for National Policy, a group of conservative business, religious and political leaders that was co-founded years ago by Tim LaHaye, author of the "Left Behind" series of books. Vice President Dick Cheney flew into the city Friday to address the group, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Christian conservatives, who hold considerable sway in the Republican Party, have been deeply unhappy about the field of GOP presidential candidates.

Dobson has said he wouldn't support Rudy Giuliani, calling the former New York mayor an "unapologetic supporter of abortion on demand." Dobson has also rejected former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson as wrong on social issues, and wouldn't back John McCain because of the Arizona senator's opposition to a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

Viguerie said conservatives "are still open" to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, but said, "we haven't seen anything that guarantees that we will hold to the positions that he's articulating." Romney has been questioned about his record on gay rights.

However, the proposal to consider a third-party candidate comes from anger that the Republicans whom Christians have helped elect for decades have failed to act on policy issues important to evangelicals on abortion, marriage and school prayer.

"Conservatives have been treated like a mistress as long as any of us can remember," Viguerie said. "They'll have lots of private meetings with us, tell us how much they appreciate it and how much they value us, but if you see me on the street please don't speak with me."

A third-party run would be a long shot, requiring millions of dollars and challenges to ballot access. Such a bid could prove disastrous for the GOP by splitting the vote.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071001/D8S0KTM01.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Christian conservatives, who hold considerable sway in the Republican Party, have been deeply unhappy about the field of GOP presidential candidates.
    This is why the conservative religious groups need to get behind Ron Paul and push his campaign.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

ditto

This has been all over cable news today. I like it. Not exactly what I have been asking for -- but it is a start. Republicans have been making use of huge blocs of voters for years..........and done absolutely nothing for them. Since Roe v. Wade Republican administrations have had over 2 decades to do something about it, and have done nothing.

This is not my particular issue, but is emblematic of how useless and exploitive the Republican Party is and has been for years to its constituents. We believed that Bush cared about American security, that he was a patriot who was hell-bent on protecting us and our values. Unmitigated BS.....They care for CEOs and lobbyists and that is ALL. They are so arrogant and exploitive of their base, they are even going to nominate a social liberal.

We can use this. Maybe we can join forces with this movement for concerns that the Rep Party has lied to us about for years. Like the article said, it could be disasterous for the party. I hope so. If it means Hillary, it means Hillary. It must get worse before it gets better. No more comprimises, no more hand-shakes, no more 2 party acceptance, we must demand results from a viable party actually recognizing our concerns. Not one that lies to us for votes, then turns around and ignores us when it counts to feed the corporate lobby machine.

I hope the Republican Party burns in hell.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I like it... go 2nd tier guys... top tier aint cutting the mustard
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    sippy wrote:

This is why the conservative religious groups need to get behind Ron Paul and push his campaign.
    Actually, I think Duncan Hunter would be a better candidate for the conservative religious groups.

[quote]September 30, 2007
    Duncan Hunter Interview with the Baptist Press
    Filed under: abortion, duncan hunter, elections, faith, gay marriage, politics, presidential candidates, religion — sierrascrapper @ 1:38 am
    For those of you looking for a President that will lead our nation with God’s hand on his shoulder, look no further than Duncan Hunter. One of the best quotes from the interview with the Baptist Press is this:

“Like everybody in public life,â€

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    BearFlagRepublic wrote:

Personally, I'd rather fix it at the ballot box. The alternative, the Democratic Party, is much worse on the issues that are important to me.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    BearFlagRepublic wrote:

Personally, I'd rather fix it at the ballot box. The alternative, the Democratic Party, is much worse on the issues that are important to me.
    Ahhhh, MW I knew you'd chime in to adress the "to Rep or not to Rep" issue We'll not argue for pages this time. Let me just say this:

The splintering has begun.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

The lesser of two evils philosophy is just wrong, we are being set up for a globalist Republican or a Democrat by the "Corporate" media. I find them to be one in the same and will not vote Republican unless Duncan Hunter, Ron Paul, or Tom Tancredo are together and I'm hoping at this point that we have the former two.

Grassroots commentary through talk radio is all we have, we need a news channel to compete with the drama of the globalist media.
    "As has happened before in our history, if you have open borders poor country governments will pay people to move here, promising them a better life in the New World"*
    George Phillies (Libertarian)

MW, I know how much you like Hunter, and I too think he would make a great pres. Personally, I want either Hunter, Paul or Tancredo for Pres, but my first choice is going to Paul.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast