Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Councilman calls for resolution to crack down on illegal imm

Here's a small town overrun by illegal aliens who could use some help in cracking down on illegals. Comments welcome (free registration):

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/.../1014/NEWS0204

BOUND BROOK —Councilman Jim Lefkowitz will introduce a resolution in July calling for the borough to take measures to crack down on illegal aliens, such as requiring landlords to obtain proof their tenants are legal residents.

Lefkowitz's proposal, which will be considered at the July 8 council meeting, comes four years after the U.S. Department of Justice cited borough officials for waging a multifaceted campaign to drive out Hispanics.

Bound Brook, while not admitting guilt, agreed to settle the suit, paying a $30,000 fine and creating a $425,000 compensation fund for victims of discrimination between 1996 and 2002.

Amy Gottlieb, a program director in the Newark office of the American Friends Service Committee, a nonprofit agency that serves as an advocate for immigrants, among other causes, said actions such as those proposed by Lefkowitz, "create divisiveness,'' engenders racial profiling and "turns landlords and city employees into immigration officials.''

She called Lefkowitz's proposal "wrong-headed'' and ""not the way to solve'' immigration problems.

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed lawsuits challenging similar proposals adopted in a number of other municipalities across the country, including Hazleton, Pa., and the Burlington County community of Riverside.

The Hazleton ordinance, which drew national attention, was overturned by a federal judge in 2007 while the Riverside law was repealed after a challenge was filed in court.

Deborah Jacobs, executive director of the ACLU's New Jersey chapter, said Wednesday that the chapter's expert on immigration matters was not in the office and, therefore, unavailable for comment.

Lefkowitz said he was proceeding with the resolution despite concerns from other council members that it might entangle Bound Brook in more litigation and add to the borough's legal expenses.

"I'm a little sick and tired of walking on egg shells because of the DOJ (Department of Justice),'' Lefkowitz said, adding Bound Brook should join the 55 municipalities across the country that have adopted similar ordinances.

The Republican councilman, who is running for re-election this year, said he was prompted to take the action by changes in the plans for redevelopment in the borough that call for more rental units because of the changing housing market.

The councilman also said it is well-documented that an increase in illegal aliens correlates to an increase in the crime rate.

"Studies show that illegal immigrants cost taxpayers much more in public services than they pay into the system via taxes,'' Lefkowitz states in the summary of his resolution.

Lefkowitz's proposal also calls for police to determine the legal status of any person arrested and to make sure that if any illegal alien is taken into custody, that person is turned over to federal Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) officials. He said that proposal is consistent with current federal policy.

Lefkowitz said the federal government should make the determination if an illegal alien should be kept in custody.

In explaining his resolution, Lefkowitz said the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development requires recipients of Section 8 rental assistance funds to prove legal residency.

The proposal also calls for the borough to deny any contracts to a firm that hires illegal aliens.

It's very, very important we address this issue,'' he said. ""I want to know I did everything I could.''

Michael Deak can be reached at (90 707-3134 or mdeak@mycentraljersey.com.

What do you think about the resolution to crack down on illegal immigrants in Bound Brook? Join our online discussion, Click Here
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Amy Gottlieb, a program director in the Newark office of the American Friends Service Committee, a nonprofit agency that serves as an advocate for immigrants, among other causes, said actions such as those proposed by Lefkowitz, "create divisiveness,'' engenders racial profiling and "turns landlords and city employees into immigration officials.''
    I tell you what creates "divisiviness." Allowing illegal invaders to take over an entire town when they have no legal right to be in this country whatsoever to begin with. People begin to resent not only illegals, but also those who like you Mrs. Gottlieb who argue on behalf of illegal invaders to the detrement of American citizens.

People feel as if illegals are being given special protection even though they are generally, violating numerous laws on a daily basis. You see, Americans resent people who do not respect our laws and feel as if they do not have to obey them. That's what causes "divisiviness."

laws that target illegal invaders will actually heal "divisiviness."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is a comment from an open borders idiot on this article------

[QUOTE]Just what is it about illegal aliens that invokes such fear and hatred? Veiled statements like "They're draining the taxpayer" and "They sit around drinking in the park" hardly hide the true message: that our Hispanic newcomers are different, speak a "foreign" language, and are out-populating the natives. I ask: So?This group of immigrants seems to be very hard-working. They demonstrate family values by sending money to their families struggling in their countries of origin, and they take on the menial jobs that plenty of able-bodied, home-grown Americans snub. (Incidentally, far too many of those able-bodied Americans live off the US taxpayer.) No, these immigrants have a place in our society, and punishing those who employ them is a hypocritical waste of time. Learn some Spanish and embrace your new neighbors! The face of Bound Brook (not to mention the country) is changing - it's best to accept it! =========================

This is my response to the article and the open borders idiot======

I am from South Carolina. This problem is being faced in every community in this country. It is a refusal to enforce the laws as stipulated under the US Constitution. Our country has been invaded and our government has abdicated their responsibilities to the citizens. That is why individuals are slowly standing up and screaming to anybody that will listen, because our politicians surely aren't.

I have been called a racist and a bigot because I do not like being forced out of business by companies ignoring our laws. I have also been arrested and jailed for protesting one of those criminals. And even though i am going broke in the process, I will continue to protest. I want to see the owners of those businesses in handcuffs and in jail just like I was. Landlords know exactly who they rent to and when caught they need to go to jail or lose their property because it is them and the criminal employers that are attracting millions of illegal aliens to our towns and cities. They are the scourge of America no matter how greedy they are and they need to pay a price for their actions.

Americans are slowly waking up to this travesty. I read more stories every day about the anger out there and one of these days our politicians are going to wish that they had listened to us when we demanded it. Instead they continue to live in this fantasy land where everything is alright in their world. The dollar and the economy is crashing, fuel prices are going through the roof, we have been invaded by over 30 million illegal aliens and they continue to see America though a set of rose colored glasses.

And Cleeg, in my experience, most of the people that do not have problems with illegal aliens are the ones that employ them or are in jobs or businesses where they are not forced to compete with them. I am in construction and in Columbia, SC, 99% of the Hispanics are illegal aliens. Those words are straight out of the mouth of the wife of a Mexican coyote, who assisted her husband in bringing over 40 thousand illegals into the southeast over a ten year period.

If ANY foreigner is here ILLEGALLY, he has NO place in OUR country, PERIOD! Besides, the fear and mistrust of ILLEGALS by LAW-abiding Americans and legal residents is JUSTIFIED in that TOO many newcomers to OUR country these days are RACISTS who REFUSE to ACCEPT that ENGLISH is THE language of America, REFUSE to ASSIMILATE and are BENT on FORCIBLY remaking US Americans after their OWN image! Tragically, MOST such newcomers to OUR country nowadays are ILLEGALS! And as far as "family values" go, 51 PERCENT of LATINO babies born in OUR country LAST year were OUT of wedlock!

create divisiveness,'' engenders racial profiling and "turns landlords and city employees into immigration officials.''

She called Lefkowitz's proposal "wrong-headed'' and ""not the way to solve'' immigration problems.
    WHATS IN IT FOR AMY GOTTLIEB? Why does she feel this way? She must be making big bucks to represent traitors, elites, and other big business cartels who want cheap labor.
    Pro-legal open border people like Amy CREATE DIVISIVNESS AND RESENTMENT. It is not "wrong-headed" to enforce our laws is it? People like Amy should step aside and let our lawmakers enforce our laws.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn