Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Disappointing Visit to My Republican Senator's Office

Last week I decided since I was in the same building for a meeting as the local (Portland, OR) office of my Republican Senator, Gordon Smith, I would drop in for a visit. I envisioned a cordial 5 minute conversation with a Congressional aide discussing the overwhelmingly bad points about S1348. I also envisioned having the opportunity to let the Senator's staff know that no one really believes this bill will lead to real border enforcement.

Dressed in a full suit, tie and pair of Cole Haan dress shoes I made my way to the 12th floor. As I approached the door, the intern (I'm guessing he was an intern) look shocked that someone would just show up. He cracked the door open and I asked to meet with a staff member to give my opinion on the bill.

Instead of being invited in, I was met with a half opened door and the intern blocking my way in. Mind you, I wasn't trying to push my way in, I just wanted to talk to someone. Again, keep in mind, I was in a $500 suit, dress shoes and had just had a haircut. I couldn't have looked anymore like a businessman than I did. To top it off, I'm a lifelong Republican, as is the Senator.

The intern stepped part way into the hall with the door half open and proceeded to tell me that there was no one for me to talk to. He said the work was all taking place thousands of miles away in D.C. and that I should call the D.C. office. He started to shut the door and walk away. I told him "Wait a minute.".

This wasn't going the way I pictured at all. I decided that I had about two minutes to at least get a few of my points across and he was going to listen. I asked him if he or the aides realized that the bill allowed gang members to stay in the country. He said he didn't know. I asked him if the Senator planned on reading every page of the bill, he said he thought so.

I told him that as a person that has worked and paid taxes since age 16, this bill was a slap in my face. If everything else was good (which we all know it isn't), I would object to this bill based on the outrageous cost. I told him this is just a transfer of wealth, which is at best a Democrat principle and at worst a Communist principle.

I went on to explain that I am indignant that this bill was constructed behind closed doors and with the assistance of La Raza. If it were truly balanced and bipartisan, opponents like Jeff Sessions would have been included.

He asked me if I was finished. I was so exasperated that I just said "yes" and he closed the door and walked away.

God help us if everyone visiting a Senator’s offices get a similar reception, especially from their own party's representation. I think I can guess how Gordon Smith will vote on amnesty.

To top it all off, when I got outside the building, there was a group of illegals (womn with very little kids) marching, speaking in Spanish and demanding that S 1348 be passed. It was all I could do to just drive away. What has happened to this country?

If you are a constituent of Gordon Smith in Oregon, let my story inspire you to light up his phones, or maybe show up at his Portland office.
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

Banned
    jecg_97030, I really am not too suprised given it was P Town! He's probably been harrassed by the people you were describing on the sidewalk. BUT I do think that is a sign more people on our side need to show up at that office. Wish my son still lived there, I'd go and say I was from Portland just to represent!!! The rest of Oregon outside of Portland is conservative!!!

This sounds like a good story for a letter to the editor in the local paper.

Except this is Portland where the tolerance crowd rules unless you have an opposing opinion, then they aren't too tolerant. Honestly, this place is so hostile that I would be afraid for the safety of my family if I had something conservative printed in the Oregonian.
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

Quote Originally Posted by jecg_97030
    Except this is Portland where the tolerance crowd rules unless you have an opposing opinion, then they aren't too tolerant. Honestly, this place is so hostile that I would be afraid for the safety of my family if I had something conservative printed in the Oregonian.
    Hey! That sounds like where I live! (Chicago) Home of Luis Gutierrez and Elvira Arellano.

jecg,

You are to be commended for your effort. More people need to get involved. Everywhere I go, I hear so many people complaining, yet they remain silent.

Think of the progress to be made, if more people showed your initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by camilleinchicago
    This sounds like a good story for a letter to the editor in the local paper.
    Amen, I agree
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The people pay for those offices and you have every right to enter one, to bad you can not get more people to gether and storm the office with your knowledge and remind them who pays their wages and for the office space they are occupying.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

You know, jecg, I would email Lou Dobbs and let him know about you being ignored at your Senator's office. He likes to tackle things like this.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That I can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast