Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ESCONDIDO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT DIAGNOSED WITH WHOOPING COUGH

San Pasqual (ESCONDIDO) 10th grader diagnosed with whooping cough

By: North County Times -
    Tuesday, June 6, 2007

ESCONDIDO -- A 10th grader at San Pasqual High School has been diagnosed with pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, a highly contagious disease that causes severe coughing.

The San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency is working closely with the school. The student was been out of school since May 18. Students, faculty and staff may have been exposed during the first two weeks of May and possibly the end of April, officials said.

"The health and welfare of our students and their families is of utmost importance," said Karen Rizzi, Escondido Union High School District assistant superintendent. "All families were notified by phone and provided information about the illness and recommendations on what to do if parents had concerns or questions."

Whooping cough usually starts with flu-like symptoms, such as runny nose, sneezing, fever and a mild cough. Symptoms can last up to two weeks and may be followed by severe coughing fits associated with vomiting. Fever, if present, is usually mild. Whooping cough is treatable with antibiotics and can occur at any age.

For more information, call the County HHSA Immunization Branch at (619) 692-8661, or visit the website at www.immunization-sd.org.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/06 ... 6_5_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

13 people may have contracted whooping cough from Seton employee

Another 159 people flock to ER for examination, worried they may have been exposed

By Mary Ann Roser

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    TEXAS

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Thirteen people, including three infants, might have contracted whooping cough from a Seton Medical Center employee working in the maternity area, and another 159 people showed up in the emergency room fearing that they had been exposed, a Seton official said Tuesday.

The 13 who appeared to have been infected were given antibiotics as a preventive measure, as were all 159 people who came to the ER, said Greg Hartman, a senior vice president for the Seton Family of Hospitals. Two of the 159 had symptoms that might have been whooping cough, he said.

Seton announced Saturday that a worker in the labor and delivery area might have infected some patients and family members with whooping cough, also known as pertussis. Seton said it would offer free examinations and antibiotics for anyone who might have been exposed.

Pertussis, which can appear to be the flu, pneumonia or allergies, can be difficult to diagnose and is highly contagious. Pertussis bacteria are spread by droplets during sneezing or coughing.

Symptoms include a runny nose, a slight fever, watery eyes and severe coughing, which can produce produce a "whooping" sound when a person takes a breath.

Babies younger than a year are at the greatest risk of severe illness, even death, especially those younger than 2 months: too young to be vaccinated against the disease.

No one has died or required hospitalization in the Seton outbreak, Hartman said.

ER visits by those responding to Seton's announcement were steady over the Memorial Day weekend but "trailed off significantly" Tuesday, Hartman said. He didn't know how many people might have been seen by their own doctors instead of coming to the Seton ER.

Seton learned Friday that an employee whom it declined to identify by name, gender or job title probably was infected with pertussis and could have exposed patients and visitors in the labor and delivery areas.

The employee was diagnosed by a doctor with whooping cough, but a definitive diagnosis probably won't be possible because antibiotics had been started, Hartman said.

Seton made private calls Friday to patients who might have been exposed since May 5 because of the potential incubation period, Hartman said.

It consulted with the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services Department and made a public announcement Saturday in an effort to be as open as possible, Hartman said.

Whooping cough was uncommon for years in Texas and nationally, but the illness has made a comeback in recent years, especially in 2005. That year, Travis County had 525 reports of whooping cough, a fourth of the state's 2,224 cases — more than any other county, according to data provided by the Department of State Health Services. Williamson County was second highest.

Last year, Travis County reported 139 cases, or 15 percent of the state's 954 cases, again the highest of any county, and Williamson County again was second with 109 cases, according to Doug McBride, a spokesman with the state health department.

So far this year, Travis County has had 20 of the state's 227 cases, not counting the recent Seton cases, McBride said. Williamson County has the most cases so far this year with 35, based on preliminary numbers, McBride said.

Health experts don't know why whooping cough cases are more prevalent in the two counties.

Seton Medical Center will continue to examine and offer prescriptions to people who fear that they were exposed between May 5 and Friday, Hartman said.

maroser@statesman.com; 445-3619

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/n ... oping.html

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Skip wrote on Jun 6, 2007 12:44 AM: " Once again very little information. We may not know where this came from but someone knows who has it. Measles, Tuberculosis, whopping cough, and polio were once thought to be eradicated from the United States. I wonder where these reoccurrences are coming from. I do notice the sicknesses do hit the schools more then other places "

Syl wrote on Jun 6, 2007 7:55 AM: " QUESTIONS: How many Illegal Aliens have health inspections, immunizations, and tests before they cross our borders and move in? Why does the CDC and the news media refuse to print identities and origins of people infected with diseases that were once thought to be eradicated in this country. Is cheap labor that valuable? What is it going to take to reverse this policy? Maybe some politicians’ kids getting sick? "

SP Parent wrote on Jun 6, 2007 8:09 AM: " This is the first we're hearing of this. We received fragmented recordings a week ago from the school talking about the fact that pertussis vaccines only last 10 years, but they never stated students had been exposed. No letters, nothing. Thank you NC Times for doing the job the school should be doing. "

Syl wrote on Jun 6, 2007 8:17 AM: " I heard this story on a Los Angeles News radio station last night and while driving home I was wondering if the NCT would print it. I wonder even more if they will let their readers post comments and thoughts on this subject as any communicable disease seem to be off limits for free discussion. "

From the CDC wrote on Jun 6, 2007 8:24 AM: " Pertussis is an endemic illness. In the United States epidemics occur every 3-5 years. The most recent epidemic occurred in 1996. Overall increase in cases since 1990, with disproportionate increase in adolescents and adults. "

Syl wrote on Jun 6, 2007 10:06 AM: " When the politician's kids start getting sick, then maybe there will be more legislation and enforcement of government laws to protect the general public. "

old hippie wrote on Jun 6, 2007 11:26 AM: " Be careful of pointing fingers. I remember many mothers refusing to vaccinate their children believing the vaccines to be dangerous. In reality, many of these diseases are worse than any potential reaction from the vaccine. "

Not one of those moms wrote on Jun 6, 2007 2:27 PM: " I believe 100% in vaccinations for our children. I can't believe there are parents out there who would consider NOT doing it. Dumb, if you ask me! It's very selfish. All those unvaccinated children are just going to spread those diseases all over the place! I agree with "old hippie"... the disease itself can and will be MORE dangerous than the POSSIBLE side affects of the vaccination. Get a clue people!! Get your kids vaccinated. As someone who grew up in the 70's... I had all my vaccinations, as did ALL my friends, and nothing happened to us. "

To Syl wrote on Jun 6, 2007 2:55 PM: " Syl, here's some questions for you: 1.Where in this story were illegal aliens mentioned? 2. Who says Whooping Cough has been eradicated in the country? 3.What does this story have to do with cheap labor? 4.What policy are you talking about? 5.What does the children of politicians have to do with this story? 6.Do you think that illegal aliens are responsible for all the troubles in the U.S? 7.What is your highest level of education? 8.Do you think all people whose last name ends in the letter "z" are from Mexico? 9.Do you care about the health of the student who has Whooping Cough? "

TO : To Syl wrote on Jun 6, 2007 4:41 PM: " I would love to answer your questions but the NCT is censoring the posts on this story quite heavily. "

Lets be real wrote on Jun 6, 2007 5:04 PM: " TB is back in our schools and now Whooping cough. This is being brought back in circulation either by children without vaccines or illegals who probably dont get any vaccines before entering into our schools. I do care about the health of a student with whooping cough, but I also dont want to see it spread. "

Also from the CDC wrote on Jun 6, 2007 7:10 PM: " Rubella, which had almost been completely eliminated in the U.S. after a vaccine was developed in the 1960s, has resurfaced over the last five years among North Carolina’s immigrant population, many of who come from countries that do not routinely vaccinate against the disease. "

Hepatitus A wrote on Jun 6, 2007 7:12 PM: " In Colorado, public health officials are recommending that anyone who frequently eats out in the metro Denver area should be vaccinated for Hepatitis A, because so many immigrant food workers are infected with it. Hepatitis A is a liver disease that causes flu-like illness, jaundiced skin, severe stomach pains, and diarrhea. “The more you eat out,â€