Illegal Immigration: Victimless Crime?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Libertarians are upset at Ron Paul's Latest Commercial regarding Illegal Immigration. Do they have a point?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by EJ Moosa
(Libertarian)

Some Libertarians are upset about Ron Paul's proposal to clarify the Constitution and the current concept that if born in the United States, you are automatically granted citizenship. This interpretation has paved the way to motivate millions of illegal immigrants to come to the United States and give birth to their children.

Some of those same Libertarians would also like to see us have open borders. I have always personally struggled with that concept. Today, I recognized the reason behind my struggle.

Illegal immigration is NOT a victimless crime. To listen to comments such as Mike Huckabee who states that we should not punish the children of illegal immigrants for what their parents have done, would instead punish the children and parents of all U.S. citizens. There is a major problem with a Presidential Candidate who cannot see or grasp that he is taking from one group to give to another group.

The victims of illegal immigration are you and I. Money is taken from us at gunpoint(or at the very least the seizure of your assets via the IRS) with the intention of using it to educate your children, fund emergency services at your local hospital, etc. And victimization is victimization, whether you can afford it or not.

Our current system rewards those parents who can break the law and get here for the birth of their children. Of course they are going to break the law. What good parent would not attempt the same? So to discourage that behavior, we must change the interpretation of the Constitution, or pass an amendment as Ron Paul suggests.

No one denies that the majority of illegal immigrants are hard working people. Nor that we have benefitted in this country by having them here. But that does not make it morally right.

What we have done is allowed Mexico to continue to ignore the plight of its people. Have you considered that if all illegal immigrants had stayed in Mexico and worked to affect change there, Mexico might be a stronger neighbor today? Instead, we have allowed illegal immigrants to send money earned here back to Mexico which then keeps a corrupt and inept government in place. What of the continued suffering in Mexico that we are enabling to continue? Are there no regrets for that?

If we had open borders that allowed people to come and go but did not automatically bestow access to services that you and I are forced to pay for, it is not likely many of us would be upset with immigration. But to overcrowd my schools, delay services at my emergency room, and collect social services from my tax dollars is unacceptable. It is stealing.

Were you and I to go to movie and sneak in the back door, we would be guilty of theft by conversion. Illegal immigation is no different.

Ron Paul is right. We can address and change this issue. We have the right to address this issue. We should not be made to feel guilty for protecting what is ours. Giving citizenship to the children of those here illegally makes as much sense as giving kids born on January 1st free college scholarships. It makes no sense.
http://www.nolanchart.com/article989.html