First thing I discovered when I got up this morning was the fact that the internet was not working AGAIN. I had just reported yesterday that cable was not working. I called the tech support line for RoadRunner for the internet and OF COURSE, the tech was not an American. I expected someone from India but it was a Mexican man with a very thick accent. I could also hear several others talking in Spanish in the background. I wanted him to do a line test so that I could determine whether it was my computer or the line outside was the problem. The idiot immediately went into his "script". Making me go step by step with him doing things I didn't need. At some point I blurted out again that I just needed a line test. He put me on hold. After several minutes of nothingness he came back on the phone and proceeded to rattle off a bunch of stuff in SPANISH. I butted in again midway through IN SPANISH and asked "are you talking to me?" "HEY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?" He stammered something and then I said "Why are you talking to me in Spanish?" He mumbled something else and then went back to English.
After this long ordeal he finally was able to say that he had to recalibrate the modem, after that, the internet was fine.
My husband then left to an area near downtown El Paso that is very close to the border. He tried to call me several times but the call was consistently routed to Juarez despite the fact that he's dialing OUR area code and our phone number. Then he got a text from a Mexican operator saying that if he wanted to call El Paso from Mexico he had to add the prefix 0-11. Meanwhile, I had been trying to call him from my cell from another area of town and my calls also were routed to Juarez. We both then met up in the same area of downtown and asked our son who is on the other side of town to try and call us. His calls were also routed to Juarez and his screen displayed some Mexican message. Sitting right next to each other, my husband called my cell. The call went to Juarez, my phone never rang at all.
In the past when cell phones weren't so popular, any time we tried to use the cell near the border we would pick up Mexican calls that were billed to us. Mexicans are also able to steal our signals which is how we were getting billed for their calls. Every month when we got the bill we would have to call the carrier to have those calls removed. This kind of thing happens on a regular basis and it really pisses me off! We can go to other planets, we can achieve all kinds of scientific breakthroughs in this country but we cannot keep Mexican anything out of our country? Not even a phone signal? I would bet money that NO ONE in Mexico can dial someone in Mexico and get someone in the United States.