http://mylinkingpowerforum.ning.com/for ... s-my-blood

This really makes my blood BOIL!!! Linkedin Member IMPERSONATING Another Culture...Posted by Vincent Wright on December 20, 2008

Below is a truly wretched example of cultural ignorance...where, rather than EDUCATING another culture, the choice is made to indulge in deception and downright lies...tearing at the very fabric of professional business relationships...

FIRST: Linkedin's original philosophy WOULD HAVE BEEN VIRTUALLY PERFECT - IF - THERE WERE A WAY FOR LINKEDIN TO ENFORCE IT. Alas, that is not the case.

SECOND:. Linkedin doesn't appear equipped to enforce its original philosophy of only connecting with people you know and trust. Linkedin leaves it to individual members to police their relationships. To some extent Linkedin also leaves it to individual members to ENFORCE rules in their online networks.

THIRD: With the recent dramatic emphasis on "LARGE network size" on Linkedin, those seeking to network with only those they know and trust seem like quaint little relics straight out of the 17th Century. (Not 19th Century - the SEVENTEENTH Century)

With the above preamble in mind, I received the following request from one of my newly accepted Linkedin contacts named "Bob Smith".

1. "Bob Smith's" Original Note To Me:
Bob Smith {LION} has sent you a message.

Date: 12/18/2008

Subject: Hi Vincent

Hi Vincent

Thank you so much for accepting my invitation, I am Bob Smith working for Everest Business Solutions, Inc as a Technical Recruiter. I am just wondering if you can provide me some requirement i would be very happy to service you them with 100% quality.

Please let me know if i can help you in anything.

Thanks & Regards
Bob Smith

2. MY RESPONSE:
"Bob,
I wish I could help but, in 20+ years of recruiting, I can't remember having more of my Recruiter friends struggling to find job openings for their clients and/or for themselves... This is one the very reasons I've started groups like The Entrepreneurial Recruiter and Recruiterpreneur as other ways of keeping ourselves going during this time...

Keep STRONG, Bob!!
Vincent Wright "

3. "Bob Smith's" Response To My Response:
"Vincent,

You are absolutely perfect, kindly help me in getting the direct client requirement so that I can serve them with 100% quality.

Regards,

Bob Smith _ Technical Recruiter

703.673.7247 W | 703 880 7584 F | bobsmith@e2scorp.com
Everest Business Solutions Inc (E2S Corp) | Excellence 2 Solutions
Consulting, Technology, Outsourcing and Innovation | www.e2scorp.com
-------------------------------------------------

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments."

Please note the protectionist advisory at the end of "Bob Smith's" message, above!

UNBELIEVABLE that they say, " If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited." while the SENDER'S very name is a duplicitous lie!

NOTE: While I've historically protected names in quoting other examples of misbehavior, there's no need to conceal Bob Smith's name because in a phone call to him, this gentleman revealed that his name is not Bob Smith but "Raj"!

He answered the phone as Bob Smith. And he made a rudimentary effort to "sound" like a "Bob Smith" but, upon getting further into the conversation, I asked if Bob Smith is his name and he said no. I asked what is his real name and he told me "Raj". I said, "You said in your note to me that you'd "serve them with 100% quality." but, how can I trust that statement and how can I trust referring my clients to you if I can't even trust that you're telling me your real name? WHEN DO YOU START THE TRUST PART OF OUR RELATIONSHIP?????"

Needless to say, I have no interest in working with this particular person whether their real name is "Bob Smith" OR "Raj"...

What about you? Would you work with this person - by any name?

Thanks, and Keep STRONG!!
Vincent Wright
Recruiterpreneur
Twitter.com/VincentWright | Linkedin.com/in/VincentWright |
MyLinkingPowerForum.com | MyVirtualPowerForum.com | MyLinkedinPowerForum.net |
Skype/Gtalk = MyLinkedinPowerForum
+1-860-967-0563

â–º Reply to This
Replies to This Discussion
Permalink Reply by Lori "LaShawn" Brown on December 22, 2008 at 9:07am
I absolutely would not do business with this character. I had a similar experience with someone with a fake name on Linked In via Plaxo. I mean, do you actually know anyone names "Skrilla Devine?" I would really like to know!
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Lisa on December 25, 2008 at 2:13am
I would not do business with anyone who is not honest about who they are. I consider ir very unprofessional. I understand trying to get ahead, but do it with some dignity and be honest. Times are tough for everyone and the last thing we need is a situation that is not favorable.
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Vincent Wright on December 25, 2008 at 2:18am
@LaShawn, @Lisa,
Thanks for confirming what I also believe about the importance of honesty...

Wishing you both the best on Christmas - and beyond...

Keep STRONG!!
Vincent
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Robert Chapman on December 25, 2008 at 1:02pm
No way if they hide their name what else are they hiding?
Bob Chapman
Bob@BobChapman.us
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Philip Clint on December 26, 2008 at 4:30pm
I think this is about trust against an expanding social network with different people having different views and making judgements on other peoples honesty. Name is a great start beyond that how far do you go? .
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Mike Seidle on December 28, 2008 at 9:33pm
There's a real issue in the outsourcing world where people think assuming an American persona will actually help. Reality is, if they guy's name is Raj, I'd rather talk to him for real. I can't blame you from being mad. Assuming a pen name for literary purposes is one thing. Lying to get in the door is another. Buyers should be EXCEPTIONALLY careful with overseas partners that lie easily. They are in a position to take you to the cleaners and you should be very careful. At the slightest lapse in integrity, RUN AWAY.

Mike Seidle
CEO Professional Blog Service
twitter.com/indymike | LinkedIn.com/in/indymike
Professional Blog Service // problogservice.com
LinkedIn Tips: http://kl20.com/u/122608/linkedin
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Stella Holman on January 1, 2009 at 1:15pm
I find the same on Skype, people trying to connect with me with British or American names and then i find out that they are either scammers from Nigeria or from other countries. They don't want to pay any subscription fees but feel the i should be obliged to help them and find them work!

Happy New Year

Kind regards
Stella Holman
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Nadine Touzet on January 4, 2009 at 1:16pm
Hi Vincent,

and Happy New Year!

I wouldn't be so worried about the person's actual name. You must be aware that in India (where he comes from) and other places where the West outsources so many of its customer services, people are required to assume Western-sounding names, and to learn to speak with a British or American accent (whether or not they succeed is a different story). So this was probably not an issue with him.

What would worry me more here, and bring me to the same conclusion as you in terms of working (or as it were, not working) with him, is that this young man doesn't seem to even understand what you are referring to, a major flaw among professionals, in my humble opinion. I get similar offers from people who *think* they can translate, and I simply reply very politely, and cross them off forever.

Anyway... I do hope that 2009 will be a better year than you make it sound.

Nadine
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Vincent Wright on January 4, 2009 at 1:27pm
Nadine,
I hope I haven't said anything to make 2009 sound bad - While I'm aware that it's going to take a lot of planning, concentrating and working, I'm HIGHLY OPTIMISTIC about 2009! Personally, I believe 2009 will be one of my best years - EVER!

As for the young man from India, I'm aware of the practice of assuming Western names - I don't like this practice - however, the thing which made my "blood boil" was that he was assuming this false identity in the midst of a business platform where INTRODUCTIONS are KEY. How could I in introduce someone who tells me a fake name?

Thanks, and Keep STRONG in 2009 - and beyond - Nadine!
Vincent
â–º Reply to This
Permalink Reply by Nadine Touzet on January 4, 2009 at 2:11pm
Vincent,

I totally agree, the practice is hateful, under all circumstances.

But is LinkedIn really overseeing anything? I once wrote to them that someone's profile (in French) was full of obscenities, I got a very standard response, but I'm not sure what they did about it, because I didn't even want to see it again.

I'm sure your reaction was a real eye-opener for the young man, let's hope that he'll remember it!

Every new year comes with a clean slate for me, so I'm not overly optimistic, but not too pessimistic either.

Thanks,
Nadine