Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Living in Mexico for $350/mo

So we are hearing all of these sob stories about the poor impoverished Mexicans who must emigrate to the US. NAFTA gets a large portion of the blame--apparently US corn production was too excellent and swamped the market and put the peasants out of jobs. (sob) But then, US companies opened new manufacturing plants south of the border (the maquiladora system) and provided industrial jobs. So, now, the peasants know not only how to farm but they have become technically proficient, too.

But that wasn't good enough, either. Due to vagaries in economic demand the maquiladoras relocate or layoff people or whatever.(more sobbing) So then they migrate up North. Supposedly they come in to do farmwork--their stock and trade--but since that only pays $8-10 dollars an hour they have to go into the cities and set up illegal, black market businesses. Or they join unions, displacing other minorities in the process. And instead of placing money back into the US economy they send it back across the border.

So how much does it really cost to live in Mexico? I suppose it depends on whether you live in the tradtional Mexcian way, or want to live like the Norte Americanos. Here is an article from one of the latter who moved to Mexico:
    http://www.escapeartist.com/efam30/mexico.html

Some other things are comparatively cheap in Mexico:
    Tortillas are really cheap. (I guess you knew that)
    Tuna is much cheaper, too (Lots more tuna off Mexico coast)
    Fresh produce is a lot cheaper
    Heating bills?--fuggedaboudit
    General wintertime expenses?

You get the picture.
    Well, here's a Google search you can do for more info:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ving+costs
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

.From the article:............................

After a lifetime of working and making lots of mistakes both in my personal and financial life, I decided that I might be able to EXIST in the states, but could LIVE in Mexico.
    I have tried three areas in Mexico so far, and each time has been a new learning experience. I now avoid the so called “GRINGOâ€
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

here in the states the peasants excelled at forging fake IDs and at raping American girls and women.[/b]
    Banned

Indeed. I have a theory that Mexico is probably a pretty good place to live now that 20-30 million of their poor, uneducated and criminally inclined bretheren are now living in the United States illegally.

No wonder Mexico does not want the illegals back.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    Indeed. I have a theory that Mexico is probably a pretty good place to live now that 20-30 million of their poor, uneducated and criminally inclined bretheren are now living in the United States illegally.

No wonder Mexico does not want the illegals back.

That was the plan all along, wasn't it? I've always said that the US citizen gets nothing in return for corporate cheap labor...we are persona non gratis in Mexico, and we are quickly becoming strangers in our own land! It's a one-way street...and all roads lead to the US!

I am confused by this post...

Is this saying that an American with American money can live pretty well off in Mexico? That's obvious. With an American wage, I could probably life comfortably in Mexico...

I'd be interested to know what is the average wage of an agricultural and uneducated worker... depending on those figures, I think then we can conclude how life in Mexico is like for the people that come here illegally.

But then, US companies opened new manufacturing plants south of the border (the maquiladora system) and provided industrial jobs. So, now, the peasants know not only how to farm but they have become technically proficient, too.
    Gonna disagree here. I've talked with folks responsible for setting up factories down here. The workers work very hard. However, a production team there usually ends up being a "circle jerk." At the end of the day everybody worked very hard, unfortunately there was little production. I suspect they work very hard at farming too which results in little production. This workforce is feasible in the U.S. imho only because corporations can soak the taxpayers. That's why the border is One Way.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I really do not need to have an understanding of how life is for these people in Mexico or why they come here. I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and have seen that generally, most mexicans live pretty well. This included areas off the beaten path that have seen very few if any tourists from any country, let alone the United States.

In fact, I have a new found respect for those poor, uneducated Mexicans who remain in their country and make a go of it. There are plenty of those as well.

There are many countries where life is difficult, some far worse than Mexico.

The only reason we hear the sob stories from Mexico is because we happen to share a border with them. However, sharing a border does not obligate the United States.

I've seen lots of nice places in Mexico and met some very nice people down there, some had came up here illegally only to go back because they did not like the fast paced life.
    Can't say as I blame them.

I think that's what attracts those Americans that relocate to Mexico. The pace of life is much slower, combined generally with the hospitality of the Mexican People. There are some great places in Mexico that are quite beautiful that have seen very few if any tourists.

I just got back from such a place last week and I didn't want to leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast