Now, earlier today Senate Judiciary Committee held hearings to figure out whether 11 and 12 years in prison was too harsh of a sentence for U.S. border agents Compean and Ramos. I`ll save everybody in Washington the trouble. Yeah. Yeah, pretty much it is.

For months now we have gone through every aspect of this case, but in the end the real story is that the punishment simply doesn`t fit the crime. Assuming that there even was a crime.

No matter what you think about this case, I haven`t found anybody, anybody, who believes that the equivalent of a murder sentence is fair for these two border guards. Here`s Senator Feinstein questioning U.S. attorney Johnny Sutton, the guy who put the agents behind bars.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. DIANNE FEINSTEIN, (D) CA: Did the jury know that this 924-C carried a 10-year minimum sentence?

JOHNNY SUTTON, U.S. ATTORNEY: No, ma`am.

FEINSTEIN: To be added on top of the others.

SUTTON: No, ma`am.

FEINSTEIN: I wonder if the outcome of this case would have been different had anyone besides Sutton know a guilty verdict would mean over a decade in prison. Hopefully at a minimum the Senate will open up a formal investigation to look at that, but somehow -- and maybe it was the video of cots that were being rolled into the Senate this morning as part of a TV stunt over the war debate. I doubt that justice will ever be served by our politicians, but Lou Dobbs, host of CNN LOU DOBBS TONIGHT, is in Washington. Lou, how much of a circus is this thing today?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

LOU DOBBS, CNN HOST: Well, actually, it was an amazing spectacle, Glenn. It was one of the few times that I have seen in recent memory the United States Senate, five senators, holding a hearing overflow capacity, standing room only. Five senators looking for the truth trying to do the right thing, and zeroing in on the right questions in this case the incredible injustice done to these two former Border Patrol agents.

BECK: Lou, I got to tell you, I was watching it off and on this afternoon as we were getting ready for the show. And all I could think of is what`s the motivation of everybody there in that hearing? Are you telling me that, like, doing the right thing was the motivation?

DOBBS: I truly believe that Senator Dianne Feinstein, who -- Patrick Leahy, the senator, the Judiciary Committee chairman assigned to lead this, and Senator John Cornyn, in particular, those two senators really want to do the right thing. They demonstrated clearly that they`re disgusted with Johnny Sutton, the U.S. attorney`s decision, to prosecute this case. They`re disgusted by the excessive sentences handed down, and they`re disgusted by the fact that immunity -- blanket immunity was given an illegal alien drug smuggler.

There will be ramifications, and I do think they`re trying to do the right thing.

BECK: What do you think those ramifications are? I did see the part where Feinstein was saying, you know, you gave him a humanitarian pass to be able to come back in and out of the country. What were you thinking?

I mean, I mean, I was just outraged. She was outraged. The country should be outraged. What do you think the ramifications are going to be? What`s going to happen?

DOBBS: I believe that what will happen as a result of this hearing, one on July 31st that will be held in the House of Representatives, I think as a result of this we`re going to see two things happen in very quick order.

First of all, the federal appellate court is going to have to respond to what is an outrageous miscarriage of justice. The second thing that`s going to happen is I think Johnny Sutton`s office is going to be strongly condemned for the decision on blanket immunity, the decision to give an open visa to a known illegal alien and confessed illegal alien drug smuggler across our borders in which we know that he had at least one other load.

I think the ramifications are going to be huge. I think we`re going to see justice ultimately delivered.

BECK: I can`t wait.

DOBBS: Delivered for these two former Border Patrol agents.

BECK: That`s great news and you say he was an illegal alien drug smuggler. He was a member of a cartel.

DOBBS: Yes. A member of a cartel. The prosecutors did not question him about his contacts, the organization, or the structure of the cartel or his involvement, nor was there any discussion of any material -- in any material sense, of why within five minutes two vehicles were waiting for him on the other side of the Rio Grande River, which he crossed and they were waiting for him to take him away.

BECK: Lou, I don`t know if you can see me in your return monitor, but I -- we`ve started to sell these on my web site. All the proceeds go to Ramos and Compean`s legal defense fund. It is "U.S. Border Patrol, To Protect and Serve Time." We have all of the proceeds go -- they`re $20 on the Web site at glennbeck.com.

I would love to hand deliver one to your office, sir, if you would like to be one of the first to own one.

DOBBS: You got a deal. Send it to me. You got it. I`ll write another check.

BECK: Hey, Lou, best of luck. Stay safe down there, and thank you for all the hard work you`ve done on this case.

DOBBS: Well, thanks a lot, Glenn.

BECK: Lou, thanks for al your hard work on this. Lou Dobbs, host of CNN LOU DOBBS TONIGHT, 6:00 p.m. Eastern every night on CNN. That`s "The Real Story" tonight.

As we go to break, please let`s remember that Agents Ramos and Compean along with agent Gilmer Hernandez are still rotting in jail. I believe they are this country`s first political prisoners. We`ll be back in just a minute.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... gb.01.html