Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lou Dobbs Said He'd Be Happy to Triple Number of Legal Immig

Lou Dobbs Said He'd Be Happy to Triple Number of Legal Immigrants

By Sam Stein, Huffington Post. Posted May 30, 2008.

http://www.hispanictips.com/2008/06/02/ ... ation-set/

A new book by a prominent progressive author contains a rather ironic revelation: CNN's Lou Dobbs -- the disgruntled television voice of anti-immigration sentiment -- says he would actually welcome millions of new immigrants into the United States.

"If we are to have a national debate and a national dialogue and a decision about national policy and we make a judgment that we are going to raise immigration levels - let's say that we double them, lets say that we triple them - sign me up," Dobbs is reported as saying in February 2007. "There is nothing in me that is a restrictionist whatsoever, and I realize that separates me from others who are against illegal immigration on the basis that there is too much immigration. I don't believe that. I do believe that we are not in control of our immigration policies or what is happening in this country. And that leaves me in despair."

The remark comes courtesy of David Sirota's just released book: "The Uprising: An Unauthorized Tour Of The Populist Revolt Scaring Wall Street And Washington," which documents the conflict between business interests, government policies and popular opinion on a variety of issues, from trade and the economy to immigration to Iraq.

And if the image of Dobbs welcoming immigrants arms-outstretched seems out of line with what the host, on his nightly show, seemingly represents, that's because it is.

While the CNN anchor was explicitly discussing a growth in "legal" immigration, he has rarely, if ever, expressed such a viewpoint on his show. Dobbs has built up his reputation and audience primarily on an ability to appeal to the fervent anti-immigration sentiment in some segments of the country. A recent Media Matters study showed that Lou Dobbs Tonight spent the most time of any cable news show "airing claims about immigrants draining government coffers and/or not paying taxes. Out of a total of approximately 260 broadcasts, Lou Dobbs Tonight featured these ideas on 71 programs, or more than one out of every four broadcasts -- and 39 percent of the programs on which he discussed immigration."

CINN did not return request for comment. But an earlier portion of Sirota's book does provide a window into what could be the anchor's defense: it's not about immigrants, it's about border security.

"'There is a group of people who would like to believe that somehow debating illegal immigration, the security of our borders or our ports, is somehow racially inspired,' [Dobbs] says, annoyed and tapping his hand on his desk. 'But there's never been an issue of race introduced into this discussion by me.'

Some of Dobbs's toughest critics grudgingly acknowledge that, at least rhetorically, the CNN anchor has not made bigoted remarks. 'Dobbs has steered clear of the racist comments,' acknowledged the Southern Poverty Law Center.

But these same critics say his one-sided focus on the wedge issue of illegal immigration - and his one-sided take on the issue - fuels anti-Hispanic xenophobia, because most illegal immigrants are Latino. He might respond to them with a 'my best friend is black' answer by citing his own marriage to a Mexican American. Or he might point to his move a few weeks ago to become a lifetime member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. But he does none of that. Instead, he normally responds to them, as he is to me right now, that for him, the issue has nothing to do with race or even legal immigration levels - it is all about border security."

Even so, Dobbs's position has riled immigrant groups and even mainstream politicians. At a fundraiser in Florida this past Thursday night, Sen. Barack Obama accused of "ginning up" anti-immigration sentiment to such an extent that there has been a rise in hate crimes against Hispanics.

Added Cecilia Muñoz, vice president of the National Council of La Raza, the largest Hispanic civil rights organization in the United States: "I think he likes to see himself as somebody whose only problem is with illegal immigrants, but if you look at who is on his show and how his arguments are framed, it takes just seconds for him to get to his concerns about legal immigrants. It may not be the way he intends it, but boy is that the impact... It is not about illegal immigration, it is about something much bigger and it is the Latino community that continually feels under attack by him."
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

But these same critics say his one-sided focus on the wedge issue of illegal immigration - and his one-sided take on the issue - fuels anti-Hispanic xenophobia, because most illegal immigrants are Latino. He might respond to them with a 'my best friend is black' answer by citing his own marriage to a Mexican American. Or he might point to his move a few weeks ago to become a lifetime member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. But he does none of that. Instead, he normally responds to them, as he is to me right now, that for him, the issue has nothing to do with race or even legal immigration levels - it is all about border security."

And, why should he do those things? Why should Lou, or anyone else, feel obligated to quantify their statements prior to simply telling the truth about any subject...illegal immigration included?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope Lou was exaggerating about doubling or tripling legal immigration. It would shock me to see his views go off base with the majority of the American public like that.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cecilia Muñoz is part of the demographic hegemony agenda crowd, those who have co-opted the word Hispanic (not a race) and are trying to turn this into a civil rights issue. Soon if we are not vigilant they will claim that Spanish is a civil right and that we all need to bow!

The issue my dear ain't about legal immigration (we can control that) but about illegal immigration and what do you know well the majority of the 10s of millions here unlawfully also speak Spanish. So i am very sorry if you feel offended. Perhaps you ought not to conflate language and race but i guess that is OK for you guys since you draw power and money by milking the label, Hispanic.

Re: Lou Dobbs Said He'd Be Happy to Triple Number of Legal I

I don't get this article. First, it tries to portray Dobbs as favoring incresed #s of legal immigrants (ostensibly making him unpopular with his regular audience).

Quote Originally Posted by WorriedAmerican
    "If we are to have a national debate and a national dialogue and a decision about national policy and we make a judgment that we are going to raise immigration levels - let's say that we double them, lets say that we triple them - sign me up," Dobbs is reported as saying in February 2007. "There is nothing in me that is a restrictionist whatsoever, and I realize that separates me from others who are against illegal immigration on the basis that there is too much immigration. I don't believe that. I do believe that we are not in control of our immigration policies or what is happening in this country. And that leaves me in despair."
    I believe this is taken out of context. Dobbs REGULARLY says that he would be in favor of increasing legal immigration if, and only if it is proven that we have a labor shortage in this country. Dobbs knows there is no labor shortage, as he points out in his books, siting that wage levels are stagnant and medical benefites are disappearing -- meaning that we have a labor SURPLUS. This guy has clearly read none of Dobbs' work on the issue.

Then, he says this:

Added Cecilia Muñoz, vice president of the National Council of La Raza, the largest Hispanic civil rights organization in the United States: "I think he likes to see himself as somebody whose only problem is with illegal immigrants, but if you look at who is on his show and how his arguments are framed, it takes just seconds for him to get to his concerns about legal immigrants. It may not be the way he intends it, but boy is that the impact... It is not about illegal immigration, it is about something much bigger and it is the Latino community that continually feels under attack by him."
    Why is the author now appealing to the "Lou is racist" crowd by quoting La Raza to prove a point that is inconsistent with the authors original thesis (that Dobbs wants to increase immigration)? The article contradicts itself. I see this as simply a hit piece of Mr. Dobbs. And an inconsistent one at that.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

I think Lou is "Spinning" right back at them . Playing their game of Hate politics and giving no ammo to arm with > Smart play
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    I hope Lou was exaggerating about doubling or tripling legal immigration. It would shock me to see his views go off base with the majority of the American public like that.

W
    That scared me too but I've heard similar things from him and cringed.
    I also don't think that Lou is much on spin. He's a straight shooter, not to be confused with the lying straight shooter McCain.

Check out this website: I signed up and get daily updates so I can watch out as to what's going on.
    www.hispanictips.com it's all about the awful things us Americans do to immigrants. There is not reference to illegal or legal. It's 1 guy that posts every article about immigrants, both types.
    Dick Morris

Well, this is where Lou and I totally disagree. I don't believe we should increase legal immigration when we have a such big problem with illegal immigration. And actually, I believe we should decrease the number of legal immigration, because I don't think this country can sustain the numbers at the rate it's going.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Well, this is where Lou and I totally disagree. I don't believe we should increase legal immigration when we have a such big problem with illegal immigration. And actually, I believe we should decrease the number of legal immigration, because I don't think this country can sustain the numbers at the rate it's going.
    Lou doesn't believe this. The author is spinning, and selectively quoting. The precondition for Dobbs accepting increased levels of immigration has ALWAYS been proof of corporate America's claims of labor shortage. As I said, Dobbs lays it out clearly in his books that we do not have a labor shortage in this country. Put 2 and 2 together: Dobbs is asking corporate America to prove something that they can not, before increased immigration is acceptable.

= Lou Dobbs is against increasing legal immigration.

People need to start reading more of Lou's work on the issue, as confusion seems to be evoked much of the time on this site. Dobbs views are not simple and a bit nuanced, however upon some researching and critical thinking, Dobbs views are inline with the people of this site. But he often uses language that challenges the enemy to "put up, or shut up."
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Agree It sounds too much like Amnesty.
    Dick Morris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast