Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Man Behind Arizona's Toughest Immigrant Laws

NPR is running an interesting, albeit predictably skewed, series on public figures involved in the illegal alien debate in Arizona this week.

Today it was the turn of one of the good guys, Senator Russell Pearce,

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=88125098

Morning Edition, March 12, 2008 · If Arizona State Rep. Russell Pearce has his way, citizenship would no longer be automatic for everyone born on U.S. soil. Pearce is the man behind some of the toughest state immigration laws in recent years. So far he's pushed through a dozen or so pieces of legislation and he's prepared to keep fighting.

"I will not back off until we solve the problem of this illegal invasion," he says, from an office decorated with awards, keepsakes and photos of fellow fighters Ronald Reagan and John Wayne. "Invaders, that's what they are. Invaders on the American sovereignty and it can't be tolerated."

Pearce, a Republican who represents the conservative city of Mesa, sees the law as his weapon.

"I believe in the rule of law … I've always believed in the rule of law. We're a nation of laws," he says.

As the chairman of the Arizona House Appropriations Committee, he is in a choice position to try to push through the laws that he sees fit. He co-wrote Prop 200, which restricted illegal immigrants' access to state services and sponsored Arizona's employer sanction law, which suspends or revokes business licenses if employers knowingly hire illegal immigrants. He also says he may introduce legislation to challenge the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, meaning a child born in the U.S. would no longer automatically become a citizen.

A sheriff's deputy for 23 years, before being elected as a state representative, he says that the half-million mostly Mexican illegal immigrants in Arizona are breaking the law simply by living there.

The Roots of a Tough Stance

Pearce's single-minded dedication to the issue of illegal immigration may have to do with his personal history, some of his colleagues say. As a cop Pearce was shot in the chest and finger by a gang member. Three years ago, his son, also a sheriff's deputy, was severely wounded by a criminal who happened to be an illegal immigrant.

"Did it cause for some recommitment? I suspect I had some influence there," he says.

Pearce claims illegal immigrants are responsible for much of Arizona's crime and he admits to feeling uncomfortable with the way society is changing in Arizona. He attributes it partly to Mexicans' and Central Americans' "way of doing business."

"Drive around parts of Phoenix. I get calls all the time and it's not that they're Hispanic, it's because the culture is different. The gangs are bigger. There's more violence, kidnappings are way up," he says.

Opposition to Pearce

Opponents say Pearce is a racist — a charge he vehemently denies. A devout Mormon, he says he is simply committed to the church's command for obedience to the law.

Bill Kopenickee, another Morman Republican state representative in Arizona, says that Pearce is sincere.

"I think Rep. Pearce really genuinely believes what he's doing is the correct thing ... and it's hard to argue against that position," he says.

He disagrees with his colleague's position, however. There's little evidence that illegal immigrants commit more crime than the rest of the population, he says, adding that the Mormon Church calls for compassion toward the stranger.

But Russell Pearce is in power at the right time in the right place. Arizona is experiencing the biggest influx of legal and illegal immigration in its history, making it the testing ground for state legislation against illegal immigrants. Russell Pearce is fond of saying he's only helping "take back America one state at a time."
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

There's little evidence that illegal immigrants commit more crime than the rest of the population
    It doesn't matter if they commit more, less, or none...THEY DON'T BELONG HERE!!!and ANY crime that they can commit here is preventable by enforcing the law....INCLUDING BEING HERE ILLEGALLY!!!
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow I bet La Raza and the SPL group will call him a racist and a hate monger. Did you see those words "invaders" and "illegal invasion". OOPS a government legislator that agrees with us, Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs, William, Roy Beck, Hannity, Malkin, Ingraham. LOL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pearce is an American hero.

LaRaza can BITE ME!
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Wow I bet La Raza and the SPL group will call him a racist and a hate monger. Did you see those words "invaders" and "illegal invasion". OOPS a government legislator that agrees with us, Glenn Beck, Lou Dobbs, William, Roy Beck, Hannity, Malkin, Ingraham. LOL
    I was kind of disappointed in that they kept playing clips of Arpaio-when they ran the profile of him the day before-calling these people illegal immigrants, instead of illegal aliens. It reinforced NPR's message, which purposefully muddied the distinction between lawbreakers and lawful entrants to this country.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

"I will not back off until we solve the problem of this illegal invasion," he says, from an office decorated with awards, keepsakes and photos of fellow fighters Ronald Reagan and John Wayne. "Invaders, that's what they are. Invaders on the American sovereignty and it can't be tolerated."
    THAT'S RIGHT, INVADERS AND ILLEGAL ALIENS, THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE AND THIS IS HOW I WILL ALWAYS REFER TO THEM. TO HELL WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!

To solve the problem of the invasion, our President should be held accountable instead of being allowed to continue. He is for the dismantling of our nation and for the building of a global governance. I say he's a
    TRAITOR!
    Long live Mr. Pearce, he is an American patriot and hero!