Thursday, March 4, 2010
Illegal immigration, joblessness are linked
|

I read with great interest about the efforts of newly appointed Frederick County Del. Charles A. Jenkins regarding illegal immigration, and was dismayed by the comments attributed to Guy Djoken ("Delegate Jenkins introduces his first state bill in Annapolis," The Gazette, Feb. 25).

Mr. Djoken, president of the Frederick County chapter of the NAACP, seems to speak from both sides of his mouth when he states he "is not surprised" that Jenkins would tackle this issue in Annapolis.

My question is why Mr. Djoken is not tackling, or at least supporting Del. Jenkins on, this issue.

Mr. Djoken goes on to say that Del Jenkins' priority should be people who don't have jobs. He obviously doesn't see that the two are connected.

Depending on whose numbers one is reading, there are approximately 20 million people who have entered this country illegally and approximately 15 million American citizens who are unemployed, looking for work, losing their homes, etc.

Are you getting this, Mr. Djoken?

It is about Americans without jobs. The fact that our federal government refuses to protect our borders from illegal incursion should not preclude others in office from at least attempting to mitigate the continuing negative impact on American taxpayers of millions of people who have broken the law to get here and are enjoying the benefits reserved for citizens and visitors who come here following the legal processes that have been set forth.

I support what you are attempting to do, Del. Jenkins.

Gary J. Thuro, Frederick

http://www.gazette.net/stories/03042010 ... _32565.php