Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

More proof that we should never tune into the major networks

TV cuts candidates from debates, angering Paul backersStory Highlights
    ABC, Fox narrow debate field to top-polling candidates

Some Paul supporters are calling for a boycott of Fox advertisers

ABC basing participation on results of Thursday's Iowa caucus

Next Article in Politics »

NEW YORK (AP) -- ABC and Fox News Channel are narrowing the field of presidential candidates invited to debates this weekend just before the New Hampshire primary, in Fox's case infuriating supporters of Republican Rep. Ron Paul.

Fox News says it has limited space in its studio, which leaves Rep. Ron Paul out of a weekend debate.

The roster of participants for ABC's back-to-back, prime-time Republican and Democratic debates Saturday in New Hampshire will be determined after results of Thursday's Iowa caucus become clear.

Fox, meanwhile, has invited five GOP candidates to a forum with Chris Wallace scheduled for its mobile studio in New Hampshire on Sunday. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee received invites, leaving Paul of Texas and Rep. Duncan Hunter of California on the sidelines.

The network said it had limited space in its studio -- a souped-up bus -- and that it invited candidates who had received double-digit support in recent polls.

In a nationwide poll conducted December 14-20 by The Associated Press and Yahoo, Thompson had the support of 11 percent of GOP voters and Paul was at 3 percent. Paul's support is at 6 percent in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll conducted in early December.

Paul was tied with Thompson for fifth in New Hampshire in the most recent Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, each with the support of 4 percent of likely voters. Among all New Hampshire voters, Paul led Thompson 6 percent to 4 percent, but that was within the poll's margin of error.

Don't Miss
    Paul rakes in millions
    Jesse Benton, Paul's spokesman, said it was a "big mistake" not to include Paul, especially given Paul's recent success in fundraising. He said the campaign has been trying to reach Fox News to get an explanation for the decision, but its calls had not been returned.

"There very well might be some bias," Benton said. "Ron brings up some topics that aren't very popular with Fox News, as in fiscal responsibility and withdrawing from the war in Iraq ... that does leave us scratching our heads a little bit about whether it was deliberate. Based on metrics, I don't see how you can possibly exclude Dr. Paul."

Some livid Paul supporters are distributing e-mails calling for a boycott of Fox advertisers.

A Fox representative did not immediately return calls for comment about the complaints.

Paul has been invited to a GOP forum that Fox News is sponsoring in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on January 10, Benton said.

To participate in ABC's Saturday night debate, Republican and Democratic candidates must meet at least one of three benchmarks: place first through fourth in Iowa, poll 5 percent or higher in one of the last four major New Hampshire surveys, or poll 5 percent or higher in one of the last four major national surveys.

ABC News anchor Charles Gibson said the criteria were actually quite inclusive. He defended the network taking the initiative in effectively narrowing the field at a point when no actual voters had cast a ballot, except for Iowa caucus-goers.

"You will have had a year's politicking," he said. "You will have had, I think by count, about 641 debates. You will have had national polls and state polls and one state's vote. I think that's pretty indicative."

Gibson said ABC explained the rules for participation in a conference call with all the campaigns and "nobody said, "How dare you!' " E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/31/ ... index.html
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Banned
    I keep saying all the President canidates drew straws
    and some of President canidates got tv... Ron Paul wanted the net
    so they gave it to him

Kidding
    thats bad I shouldnt do that, but its The new year, and i got a get one zinger in...

The news networks lie to their viewers so much it makes me want to throw up. BIG LIES. This is how they keep the American public in the dark about whats really going on. I'm sick of watching them.

No, actually some are on the Council of Foreign Relations which intends to globalize the USA; and the others who are not on the CFR are being censored and hidden from the public.

Let Ron Paul In the Debates. It is not for Big Media to say who is and who isn't eligible. Why are we going to go for 2 or 2 1/2 years of this crap listening to a few candidates? We could have heard from 300 hundred candidates by this time. If the mainstream candidates ideas are so good they would have floated to the top naturally. But with Big Media they have to make sure and prop up the crooks that want to keep giving them free rein over the American people and decide what we hear and see. Its sensorship at its worst! Yep, we got a bunch of commies TRYING to tell us what to think, hear, see, and everything in between. Its the planet of the Apes all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everythings a rackett.

Big Media says:
    "We need to keep showing the most popular candidates so everyone can learn where they stand on the issues." These people are supposed to have big college degree's? UUuuuhhh, I got to throw up!

Just more backwards BS that doesn't make sense.
    I think the media hypes Iowa and Hew Hampshire and the candidates take the bait thinking if they don't win there, its all over.
    Guess where the left over contributions go?

Basically, all this is nothing more than a squeeze out. To Squeeze people out of the race that aren't in cahoots with Big Business, Big Media and Govco. Its already a rigged election.

Good Day!
    Unless we get those criminals & make them pay for what they have done to our country and the lawlessness they have sponsored, we are just another Mexico ourselves!