Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

May 28, 2010

Mr. MarkB

Dear Mr. B:

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration. I appreciate hearing from you.

I have been a strong supporter of tough, fair, and practical immigration reform. Immigration reform should not only strengthen our borders against terrorists, drug traffickers and illegal entrants, but should also make our laws more realistic so that they can be more effectively enforced.

Despite efforts to pass a comprehensive immigration reform measure (S. 1639) in the 110th Congress, the legislation was blocked from coming up for a vote on June 28, 2007. As a result, the Senate was unable to enact legislation that would have strengthened border security, put in place an effective and efficient employer verification system, reformed our legal immigration system to take pressure off the border, and required immigrants here illegally to apply for legal status, pay taxes, learn English, and pass criminal background checks, or face deportation. Instead, by doing nothing, our country is left with the same problems that have plagued our broken immigration system for years.

As you know, Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL), Charles Schumer (D-NY), Robert Menendez (D-NJ), Diane Feinstein (D-CA) and I recently introduced a framework for comprehensive immigration reform and invited our Republican colleagues to take a look at it and work with us to fix our broken immigration system. This framework reflects the bipartisan negotiations that have been taking place on this issue in recent months.

It includes tough enforcement - with measures to secure our border and the tools to ensure that employers cannot hire people who are here illegally - along with reform of our legal immigration system, and a requirement that people here illegally register with the government, pay taxes, learn English, and pass criminal background checks or face deportation.

I understand that immigration reform cannot be partisan issue and will not pass in the U.S. Senate without the support of Republicans. It is my sincere hope that the Senate can pass an immigration bill that is tough on lawbreakers, fair to taxpayers, and practical to implement.

My best wishes to you friend.

Sincerely,
    A
    HARRY REID
    United States Senator
    Nevada

HR:mu
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

I don't write them because of the fact all you get are a bunch of chain letters already drafted by subject topic so the intern can just add the name and hit print and mail it off to you.

What it does do though is give you an insight to what their individual thought and plans are. Thanks for sharing and lets make our votes count this November.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12