Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Nice Latino post on City-Data.com NC Forum

I'm American with Mexican decent. My grandparents came to American very many years ago and I'm very happy they did, because I love America. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But it is very sad that hispanics or latinos don't come together more instead of always competing against each other. Comparing, fighting, critizicing....... Especially, since there are so many of us here now. I speak fluent Spanish and I grew up eating Mexican food listening to Mexican music, watching telenovelas.... but I didn't really grow up feeling very Mexican. I'm American , but I've had to kind of step up to my roots because I need to defend Mexico ( to other Hispanics) . People are always surprised when I tell them I'm Mexican, because I guess I don't fit the stereo type. I'm proud of my heritage. And I don't believe one race is better than another. But I believe that many hispanics are guilty of that. I have found more racisim among hispanics than in all my life living in the United States alongside other hispanics(yes mostly Mexican) whites, blacks, chineese,italians,.......I've just recently moved to North Florida and I do find many Mexicans here do fit the stereo type of what all Mexican look like. Mexican people come in all different beautiful shades of brown, some are very dark, some are lighter, some are very fair and yes even white with blue or green eyes. I explain this because I realize that it is not always ignorance, but what you are exposed to. And really people come to the United States which of course is a melting pot and are not use to living among so many different people of different nationalities. Colombians live among Colombians, Salvadoreans among Salvadoreans...but they are in the USA now and they need to face the fact that there is a whole lot of world out there, outside of their country.

Latinos from every other country cant stand mexicans for how they act(their machista culture), also mexicans are the most racist out of all hispanics, against blacks particularly. I recall a soccer telecast where the commentator referred to the Jamaican team as "playing like monkeys".

Also the US for the most part, especially california gets the poorest from latin america, that is why they are exposed to, and that is where stereotypes come from.