Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Politico: Fred Thompson may drop out, back McCain

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7682.html

Fred Thompson may drop out, back McCain

By: Jonathan Martin and Mike Allen
    Jan 2, 2008 11:05 PM EST

DES MOINES, Iowa – Several Republican officials close to Fred Thompson’s presidential campaign said they expect the candidate will drop out of the race within days if he finishes poorly in Thursday’s Iowa caucus.

Thompson’s campaign, which last spring and summer was generating fevered anticipation in the media and with some Republican activists, has never ignited nationally, and there are no signs of a late spark happening here in Iowa, where even a third-place finish is far from assured.

This reality—combined with a fundraising drought—left well-connected friends and advisers of Thompson Wednesday evening predicting that he will pull the plug on hype and hope before the Jan. 8 New Hampshire primary.

Thompson’s departure could shake up the race more than his continued presence. Friends and advisers said they have long considered it likely that if the lobbyist-actor is forced from the race he would endorse John McCain his former Senate colleague who lately has been staging a political revival in New Hampshire.

“Without a solid third-place finish, there’s no point in going on,â€
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

Why did he even join the race? There was speculation for months. The night he announced he was getting in he went on Letterman or Leno-cannot remember instead of going to the debates in NH. He almost sent a surrogate to physically sign him up for the NH primary until he got heat over that. He does not even seem like he wants to be in this race-why did he even bother. Yet he was invited to the debates and Paul-who is beating him and Hunter were not?

Now we are supposed to believe he was going to be tough on immigration and might endorse MsCain?

Im not buying into this report.Lot of rumors flying around not to mention the polls havnt always been right.

The timing on this story is very suspicious.Thompson never mentioned this in his t.v. interview this morning.

MW
    Friends and advisers emphasized that no deal has been cut to have Thompson endorse McCain. But they note that there would be a logic to doing so soon, in order to help a friend and colleague at a moment when he needs it most. In turn, Thompson might be named attorney general in a McCain administration.
    That's what it all comes down too - you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

I wonder if Tancredo is going to get his back scratched in a Romney administration?

Most politicians make me nauseous!

DUNCAN HUNTER FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn