Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Readers speak out on illegal immigration

Readers speak out on illegal immigration
    Article Launched:08/06/2007 09:37:07 PM PDT

In a column last week on immigration, readers were invited to express their views.

As might be expected, there were more responses than there was space to accommodate them. What follows, therefore, are excerpts from a variety of letters. My apologies if your views do not appear here.

"Close the borders, bring our factories back and hire American citizens, manufacture quality goods, pay liveable wages, stop welfare for able-bodied citizens, cut salaries of legislators, and stop spending so much money on elections. We need to get to work, save money, stop living on credit and take pride in our work."

Becky Carroll

Long Beach

"I, too, read (Barack) Obama's book (`The Audacity of Hope') and found myself agreeing with almost everything he said. But with the liberal approach of the Democrats, the myopic and Bible-thumping approach of the Republicans, and the self-serving and corrupt politicians found in both parties, I doubt that any serious effort to give the country new direction will be forthcoming. And even if we were to get the country on a new track, I fear it is too late.

"When I read about what is taking place in China, the great strides in education and technology, I can't help but think it is just a matter of time. With what they are doing for themselves, coupled with what we persist in doing to ourselves, I can't imagine the United states maintaining its current position in world politics."

Don Earl

Residence not given

"Under the current situation where the immigration laws are not enforced, we are subsidizing the businesses that hire the illegal immigrants. They get the low-cost labor, but we pay for the additional public services that the illegal immigrants require.

"The solution is very simple. Let the illegal immigrants stay here but pass all the costs onto the businesses that hire them. Make these businesses pay for the costs of any public services that their illegal employees use but don't pay for now ... If a business pays for all these expenses for an illegal employee for a probationary period (three years?), then let that employee become a U.S. citizen."

Ralph Westfall

Cerritos

Penalize employers

"I am a registered Democrat. It's not just right-wingers who are ticked about illegals. I've written our mayor, asking him what he's done to deal with the problem of illegal immigration. I've received no reply.

"The best way to eliminate the problem is to make it a felony for employers to knowingly hire illegals and for governments at all levels to enforce the law."

Jim Hopkins

Long Beach

"I think it is unconscionable and unbelievable that the major country in the world today has this completely unworkable border. I believe we should build an electrified fence the length of the border and put pressure on Mexico to improve the lives of their own citizens so they don't feel so helpless as to risk their lives to come here."

Joy Graham

Harbor City

Where to start?

"The first place to start is by calling, writing or e-mailing every newscaster or newspaper that refers to the illegal aliens as immigrants or undocumented immigrants instead of illegals. The second thing to do is call or write your senators and congress members and demand they force the administration to start building the 700-mile fence across our southern border and finish it in two years. The third thing to do is force our representatives to push through a bill to hire 15,000 more border patrol agents. Then they can reintroduce the immigration bill that died and it would be approved."

Robert Flippen

Long Beach

"Illegals are cheats. Do people who sneak into a theater have the same rights to see a movie as those who had waited in line and paid for it?"

Fred Janssen

Long Beach

"Immigration control is an issue affecting Europe as well. Politicians of the world are incapable of debating, with any confidence, their ability to manage diverse societies in the 21st century."

Pamela Salyer

Long Beach

Kill welfare

"Ending the welfare state would discourage many from coming here and taking advantage of the system. I hear the horror stories of abuse and it's disgusting. Taking away the `freebies' from our own citizens, would also force many to be more responsible and learn how to survive on their own. Tough love, baby."

Brett Bernard

Long Beach

"I have a science-fiction vision of a future where the entire continent of North America, including Central America, is one country. Call it the United Federation of North America. Combine these 23 countries into one, with some kind of regional government for each country so they don't lose their identity."

Terry Treadway

Long Beach

"We are constantly bombarded with requirements that we should learn other languages to do business in Southern California. I like multiculture environments, restaurants in particular, but am still of the opinion that the proprietors should at least try to communicate in our language if they want our patronage.

"As an aside, when the Republican money-grubbers in Washington call me for contributions to their many funds, I tell them they get not one thin dime until Bush pardons those two border guards that are in jail for doing their jobs."

Richard Rorex

Apple Valley

Tom Hennessy's viewpoint appears Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. He can be reached at (562) 499-1270 or by e-mail at Scribe17@mac.com

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_6560419
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Ya Know

I bet if we blocked all ports of Entry (Carrying junk goods from China) our politicians would wake up

I bet if a million men stood in front of the White house and yelled repetitively "your Fired" and gave these people 24 hours to resign we would get action and the international press would love to put it all over the front page

the same with the senators / congressmen and women .... if your corrupt, your gone

I bet if we boycotted all goods coming in and only bought american (Funny how the Government is delaying on lables identifying country of origen) we would make our own lives easier

wow.... even Rome didnt fall this fast
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That Fred Jannsen put it succinctly, but the other person who said to cut off the welfare state was right,too.

Head 'em up,move 'em out Rawhide!

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    "Illegals are cheats. Do people who sneak into a theater have the same rights to see a movie as those who had waited in line and paid for it?"
    Very well put. Seems La Raza and the whole OBL crowds have forgotten simple thinking like this. It is not a gray area, it is in black and white. You either cheated your way into something, which is wrong, or you waited your turn and paid your way, which is the RIGHT way. The illegals did the first and shold be treated as the criminals they are.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    Very well put. Seems La Raza and the whole OBL crowds have forgotten simple thinking like this. It is not a gray area, it is in black and white. You either cheated your way into something, which is wrong, or you waited your turn and paid your way, which is the RIGHT way. The illegals did the first and shold be treated as the criminals they are.
    That is a very simple way of putting it! Wow they should pass that around to Kindergarten children because they would understand that too!!!

But will our politicians understand that nah!!! We need something even more rudimentary for them!!! Maybe something physical that happens to them maybe an illegal steals there job or robs there house?
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

I only buy products made and produced in America. It's hard! But we have an all American mall not too far from us. Never go to walmart. All their compainies are in China, which is why so many of their products are recalled. I will buy things made in Japan because sometimes it's the only way to go. I only buy food from a store that has a butcher in there and I can talk to him. I don't buy chicken anymore since I dont' know who to trust. Not Tyson. They employ too many illegals. I don't eat out much. A&W is American beef and butchers. I wish someone would start a list of American products. Wrangler jeans are made in the U.S.A. We went thru a whole row of socks to find a pair made in America. They're out there, but it's hard to find them. I'd rather pay more and get American made everything. There is still a lot of China seafood out there. I saw a report that said if they get turned away at one port they go to another so they still get it in. I figure I may be taking a small stand, but it's better then nothing.
    I'd rather die living then live dying!

Welcome GOSCOOTIN!

Might like this website:
    http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

While I agree Tyson is certainly a shame, but why do people always just hit on Tyson. All other poultry companies do the same thing.

We could put Tyson out of business and if we bought other poultry, the illegals would just work there.

Also Tyson owns a huge beef packing company - can't remember the name - some initials, I think.

We have to have a more targetted approach to this - and we could make it work. Eazy-peazy - if we just would.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)