The Ron Paul revolution of 2012 officially dies

• Ron Paul Revolution
  • July 15, 2012
  • By: Ryan Witt

The Ron Paul revolution of 2012 officially died yesterday. Rep. Paul (R-TX) needed to win a majority of the delegates at the Nebraska state GOP convention in order to be nominated at the Republican National Convention in late August. However, Paul was only able to win 2 of the state’s 36 convention delegates, with Mitt Romney winning the rest.

Now Paul’s name cannot even be submitted for nomination at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, and he will not speak at the convention either. Many Paul supporters believed their candidate could still win the GOP nomination through a sort of delegate coup at the national convention.

Under this scenario, Paul would be nominated at the national convention. He then would deliver a rousing speech, and Paul followers would suddenly be able to convince Romney delegates to switch their votes. Paul would then win the nomination with a larger number of delegates, even though he won a small fraction of the states that Romney won in the primary season.

Yesterday’s defeat officially ends the “delegate strategy” that many of the Ron Paul faithful had held on to. Paul had already suspended his campaign and conceded defeat in May. Political commentators wrote the Paul campaign’s obituary long before that. Paul failed to win any of the major primary contests, and was far behind every other candidate in the race in the delegate count.

Still, devout Paul followers held out hope that their man could win. In mid-May, after Paul suspended his campaign, I wrote a piece called “Why the Ron Paul revolution failed.”The response from Paul faithful was not kind. One commenter expressed outrage that I would even hint the Paul campaign was over after the candidate himself conceded defeat.

"YOU ARE DELIBERATELY LYING! He did NOT suspend his campaign! How dare you? He has stopped campaigning in primary states, he has not dropped from the race! He is still winning delegates, which is how you get to the convention anyways. Again, HOW DARE YOU?"
Others chimed in, saying that I was the one who was bias and ignoring reality.
"This is a complete opinion by someone who obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Thanks for your bias unrealistic view on things."
"Hahahaha....I love comments, I felt I had to say something but so many people have already beat me to it, lol! Too great! But yea, I'm still voting for him! It ain't over till the fat lady sings! Ron Paul WILL be our next president!"
"Paul delegate strategy has been crystal clear since day one and he is winning that race! Paul and his delegates will be out in force in Tampa and all you media hacks will be eating crow..."
I do plan to eat a feathered bird tonight, but it will be chicken, not crow.

The most devout Paul believers held out hope in this “delegate strategy” that this “pea brain propagandist” journalist could not grasp. Now, the delegate strategy is gone as well. Paul supporters will have to slowly accept the reality of a Romney nomination, until 2016 that is.

The Ron Paul revolution of 2012 officially dies - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com