Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senators Kennedy and Specter's substitute amendment #1150 to the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, S. 1348, also referred to as the "Grand Bargain." I was glad to receive your thoughts.

As you may imagine, I received a significant amount of mail on the immigration matter. I am very aware how frustrated you are, as is the case with many Nebraskans, with this contentious issue. I, too, have shared your frustration. On Thursday, June 7, 2007, the Senate voted on a motion to invoke cloture on the substitute amendment (a move to end all debate and allow for a straight up-or-down vote). The motion failed 45-50, with 60 votes needed to invoke cloture and permit the full Senate to consider this measure. Upon failure to reach the 60-vote threshold, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid removed the bill from further consideration.

It is important to remember that a cloture motion is a procedural motion, not an actual vote expressing support or opposition to a particular piece of legislation. While I did vote for this cloture motion for the sole reason that I believe in moving the legislative process forward, rather than stalling it through procedural tactics, I am glad to see this legislation withdrawn. It is my hope the Senate will now focus on the pressing needs of border security, which I feel Congress must handle first in order to resolve the problems of illegal immigration.

Solving the immigration issue will certainly be a complex matter; but we are in a hole, and it is time to stop digging. Properly securing our borders first is our best means to begin resolving this situation. This past February, I witnessed firsthand the border barrier construction and enhanced border security measures on the Arizona-Mexico border. Increased patrols, physical barriers and "virtual fencing" - composed of radar, sensors, and aerial and vehicle patrols in remote areas – are already making a difference. In addition, border patrol agents have repeatedly noted that the assistance of National Guard members deployed through "Operation Jumpstart" has been invaluable. Each of these elements has contributed to a reduction in border crossings in this region, from hundreds a day last fall to a handful a month today. I will continue to push for measures promoting efforts such as these to ensure that we properly secure America's borders and will keep your thoughts in mind regarding any immigration proposal which may come before the Senate in the months ahead.

Thank you again for contacting me with your comments on this important issue. The legislative process will only work with the input of concerned citizens, and I encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Sincerely,

Ben Nelson
U.S. Senator