Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trump vows to press Ford to cancel Mexican plant

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump vows to press Ford to cancel Mexican plant

Trump vows to press Ford to cancel Mexican plant

David Shepardson,
    Detroit News Washington Bureau

2:14 p.m. EDT June 16, 2015

(Photo: Getty Images)

Republican presidential candidate and billionaire Donald Trump threatened Ford Motor Co. with punitive taxes if the Dearborn automaker proceeds with a new $2.5 billion Mexican plant that will “take away thousands” of U.S. jobs.

Trump, who announced his plans to run at an appearance in New York on Tuesday, vowed to impose 35 percent taxes on imported Ford vehicles and parts coming from the new Mexican plant.

Trump said he would call Ford CEO Mark Fields — whom he identified only as “the head of Ford” — to explain the “bad news.”

“Let me give you the bad news: every car, every truck and every part manufactured in this plant that comes across the border, we’re going to charge you a 35 percent tax — OK? — and that tax is going to be paid simultaneously with the transaction,” Trump said. “They are going to take away thousands of jobs.”

In April, Ford said it would add 3,800 jobs in Mexico as part of a $2.5 billion investment — on top of the 11,300 Ford already employs in Mexico. The investment will include a new engine plant and new transmission plant allowing for exports of engines to the United States and elsewhere.

Trump has been pitching the proposal to tax Ford in a series of speeches in Iowa, North Carolina and around the country since May.

Trump said Ford would try to get donors and lobbyists to pressure him not to act. But Trump said he would not listen. He said the automaker would decide against the plant: “They’ll say, ‘Mr. President we’ve decided to move the plant back to the United States — we’re not going to build it in Mexico.’ That’s it. They have no choice.”

He said Ford was a good company and that he knew the head of Ford personally.

Asked about Trump’s criticism, Ford spokeswoman Christin Baker pointed to the Dearborn automaker’s U.S. investments.

“We are proud that we have invested $6.2 billion in our U.S. plants since 2011 and hired nearly 25,000 U.S. employees. Overall, 80 percent of our North American investment annually is in the U.S., and 97 percent of our North American engineering is conducted in the U.S.,” she said.

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement and existing U.S. tax laws, it is not clear how Trump could take such an action unilaterally. Nearly all major automakers already have major plants in Mexico, including Detroit’s Big Three automakers.

Singling out one new auto plant for punitive taxes would almost certainly not be legal under American law. Companies are free to build plants where they want.

Automakers are bypassing the U.S. for new plants in part because Mexico has dozens of free trade agreements around the world, low wages, free or nearly free land on which to build and fewer regulatory hurdles. The investments also put pressure on the United Auto Workers upcoming contract talks with Detroit’s Big Three automakers since U.S. automakers will emphasize competitive pressures in talks.

BMW AG, Volkswagen AG and its Audi unit, Nissan Motor Co., Kia Motors, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV are among the automakers that have built or announced new plants or plant expansions — part of more than $20 billion in investments made or planned for Mexico since 2010. IHS Automotive predicts Mexican production will rise from 3.2 million last year to 5.1 million vehicles in 2020.

Nearly all of the vehicles built in Mexico are exported to the United States.

Trump made auto issues a big part of his announcement speech in New York. He asked when was “the last time you saw a Chevrolet in Tokyo? It doesn’t exist, folks,” Trump said, even as Japanese automakers sell millions of cars and trucks in the United States. “They are laughing at us at our stupidity.”

General Motors spokesman Ataf Farah said GM does in fact sell four Chevrolet models in Japan — the Chevrolet Sonic, Captiva, Camaro and Corvette. But GM sales are extremely limited in Japan with just 1,204 vehicles last year.

DShepardson@detroitnews.com

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...lant/28816173/

I agree with him on this. NAFTA was such a total sell-out of our country because it's sole purpose was to provide a nearby foreign location to produce products that would be back-hauled into the United States, tariff-free. It was never in the American interest to do this trade deal, and everyone on both sides knew it, yet did it anyway. All every free trade treason agreement that followed does the same thing. I have no problem with our companies expanding globally to serve new markets and if it's in their best interest to build plants there to serve and supply that market, good for them, but to locate in foreign markets to save money and back-haul those products into the US tariff-free .... oh no, that's totally wrong, that's exploiting our market without participating in our market for those products. You make it over there, you sell it over there. Period. You make it here, you can sell it both places, here and over there.

Yes, yes, we know you need a FairTax, and many of US are working hard to get it. It might help though if you put some money into the campaign and lobbied to pass it. Maybe you will now that the tide is turning on your free trade treason crap.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I would find it embarrassing to call for American law be followed one day and ignored or broken the next. Bad contracts/agreements should be re-negotiated. That is remaining honest.

Trump's motivation for running is difficult to grasp unless he is only after opportunity to debate other candidates and embarrass them into accepting positions that they would not have to shoulder if absent Trump. If he won and had totally financed his campaign, how much of what would he assume he owned? Is this why he is making statements about things already controlled by law? Will he assume dictatorial power? What is the difference in one wealthy guy buying an election than a group of wealthy guys buying an election? I need more information and background on his decision, but I cannot endorse dishonesty.

Personally when it comes to domestic law, there's too many laws and far too many that don't make any sense and actually prove themselves a useless hardship on citizens. I don't think Trump would think he owned anything because he won, I think he'd try really hard to fix things. It's probably harder than he imagines to do, and I'd like to be his adviser and show him the road to do so, but he'll probably figure out a way to fix some things, which is far better than what we've got as well as what we've had for the past 40 or so years. His mindset is to defend what he thinks is his, which is our country, same as we do. That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing.

But you're right in that we need to watch him. I think we need to consider him, give him a chance like some of us did Scott Walker, while still putting him to the test, and depending on how that goes, maybe he is the dark horse we're looking for. I expect we'll know pretty soon if he is or not. If he's not, then we'll keep looking for one who is.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-17-2015 at 01:12 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I will watch trump as I did with Walker, I had misgivings over Walker early and recently he sided with Obama on the trans-Pacific trade agreement. he will never overcome that, he apparently likes to export American jobs. I just hope that if Trump is not the right guy that he exposes himself early, but Donald is a prudent and successful businessman, and they are skilled at holding their cards close to the chest, so he may not be so soon to give up a clue. But, I'm watching then all, at this point I favor Santorum but with some concern.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    I will watch trump as I did with Walker, I had misgivings over Walker early and recently he sided with Obama on the trans-Pacific trade agreement. he will never overcome that, he apparently likes to export American jobs. I just hope that if Trump is not the right guy that he exposes himself early, but Donald is a prudent and successful businessman, and they are skilled at holding their cards close to the chest, so he may not be so soon to give up a clue. But, I'm watching then all, at this point I favor Santorum but with some concern.
    TRUMP
    KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING NO TWO WAY ABOUT IT HE SEE WHAT GOING ON & FOR YEAR'S & DON'T LIKE WHAT OBAMA DOING . AS I SAID BEFOR IF A COMPANY MOVE OVER SEA . & WANT TO SALE TO THE USA I SAY NO WAY , YOU MOVE WE DONT BUY ANYTHING . THAT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE OUR COUNTRY COULD DO MANY THING . TRUMP IS A BUSINESSMAN & HE KNOW WHAT HE IS DOING . HE KNOW WE NEED JOBS BAD . TRUMP WAS ON THE MICHAEL SAVAGE SHOW& AS I SAID BE FOR I DID NOT LIKE TRUMP AT FIRST BUT I LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAID & IM FOR HIM I WISH HIM LUCK HE IS FOR OUR COUNTRY BUT OBAMA IS NOT