Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cousinsal

That is true, the system has taxed us out of saving. That is the point.

Our property taxes have tripled in the last 6 years. The only thing that has kept it from going higher is the fact that Texas freezes either the rate or the evaluation when you reach 65.

Our water, sewer, and garbage is $90 whether we turn on a faucet or not. The fact is, it is the same for everyone. It doesn't promote conservation at all. It is the same for the little old lady who lived across the street and washed 2 loads a week and put out 2 very small bags of garbage a week.

In 1969, when I quit working, the maximum SS tax for the year was $147. Granted, income was much less also, but we usually had all our SS tax paid by May. I don't have a clue what the maximum is now - several thousand. That's quite an increase.

Not counting all the 'cheap' Chinese goods that we buy and have to replace and replace, energy is eating a big chunk.

Then here in Texas, you have all the hidden costs of illegal immigration. Our auto insurance has gone up tremendously, our healthcare costs are out of sight. Our state leglislature didn't have the backbone to come out and say they had to raise taxes to pay for illegals, so they bragged they balanced the budget without raising taxes. They raised the price of professional licenses, permits, car registration, fines, etc.

So, while I agree the younger people need to really watch their money and their spending. I do see a lot of young people wasting money. Some just don't know how to do otherwise - but they won't listen. To them a weekly gorge at Wal Mart proves they have a high standard of living, and being able to pop a meal into the microwave means they have arrived.

We had better get a handle on this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Maybe SS didn't anticipate that we would be keeping people alive for so long either.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

First of all, we must understand the primary motivations of our "professional governing class", as I like to call them. However much any of these people may start out with a sincere desire to serve the American people, a little time spent in that cesspool of corruption on the Potomac known as Washington, D.C. soon changes the outlook of most of them. Power, and the perquisities of power become a heady intoxicant, and few indeed can withstand their seductive allure.Once a part of the "inside the beltway" crowd, the vast majority soon become preoccupied with one single objective; their own re-election, at any cost. At this point, the voters back home no longer matter to them, save as a means to that end.

For most of these people, our rights, and our economic well-being no longer really matter; they are now above it all. Social Security is good enough for the rest of us, but not for them; oh no; for they have awarded to themselves a lavish pension program, entirely funded at the taxpayers' expense, which would, in the case of long-serving congressmen and senators, make a CEO blush! After all, they are sure they deserve it; do not their lobbyist and media sycophants tell them daily how indispensable they are? To paraphrase Thomas Hobbes, power tends to corrupt, and the greater the power, the greater the corruption.

Of course, these people would like to import a new underclass, for several reasons, all related to their own continuance in office. First, they can thus preserve the illusion (and that is what it is) of "saving" Social Security for the rest of us. That this is ultimately a lie, and that the middle class will eventually be destroyed by their tactic, does not matter to them, for they are insulated from the consequences of their failure (at least until and unless the voters realize they've been had). Second, this would greatly enrich their corporate and special interest friends, with whom they hope to have a continuing and profitable relationship, especially if they are involuntarily forced to vacate their office. As an added, bonus, this underclass provides a ready source of new voters, who can cheaply be made to feel beholden tho their supposed benefactors-how utterly convenient for them, and the rest of us be damned in the process!

Indispensable indeed, the finest politicians greed, fortune, lust and outright bribery can buy! Out, out with them, betrayers of the public trust, who have swilled too long at the public trough!

__________________________________________________ __________

"I've never given anybody hell; I just tell the truth on them, and they think it's hell" - Harry Truman
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

"I've never given anybody hell; I just tell the truth on them, and they think it's hell!" - Harry Truman

Hi, Gadfly, and welcome.

You said it all.

I am not sure they haven't sold their souls just getting to Washington, but certainly after.

The thing these people don't realize, because they do believe their own press, these Mexican voters are NOT going to vote for the ones up there now. They are going to put their own people in - just look already at the Hispanic lawmakers, governors, even city and country officials who are supporting illegal immigration.

They are not here to support these critters in Washington - but to promote their own.

Of course, maybe they do already have cushy jobs promised by corporations - and their 'perks' - courtesy of the taxpayers.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    Hi, Gadfly, and welcome.

You said it all.

I am not sure they haven't sold their souls just getting to Washington, but certainly after.

The thing these people don't realize, because they do believe their own press, these Mexican voters are NOT going to vote for the ones up there now. They are going to put their own people in - just look already at the Hispanic lawmakers, governors, even city and country officials who are supporting illegal immigration.

They are not here to support these critters in Washington - but to promote their own.

Of course, maybe they do already have cushy jobs promised by corporations - and their 'perks' - courtesy of the taxpayers.
    Trixie....I agree. The Mexicans intend to vote in their own "people".
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    My parents are boomers and are nothing like what you described. My dad served in the military for over 20 years and both my parents worked hard, made sacrifices and saved so they can now live comfortably.

The baby boomers helped build this great country and your comments are very offensive to me.

Why should they be offensive to you? He said he knows there are exceptions. Maybe he's off by a generation maybe time will show he isn't ....who knows ,but why let one persons opinion on a generation of people offend you??? I just don't understand that. I love my parents and admire their ethics greatly and I think it is the generation after them that really messed things up but I am not taking what he said personally against my folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen
    Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    Chosen, I think that's an extremely harsh and simplistic view of an entire generation of people. Every generation has its problems.

I see young parents out today who drag their kids into restaurants and movies just because THEY don't want to miss out. I'm not talking about family restaurants and G rated movies. I'm talking about expensive restaurants and R rated movies. It seems the parent don't care that their kids spoil the meal or movie for everyone else in the restaurant or the theater. All they seem to care about is that THEY get to do what they want. But I don't condemn the whole generation just because of the actions of a selfish few.
    Simplistic shouldn't refer to the points you decided to ignore.

Analogy in this case makes not a rule nor a point. I don't see how you getting mad in a restaraunt enforces your point, or better yet masks the negative behaviors of baby boomers.
    I'm not ignoring anything. I simply chose to give one example of how another generation is just as selfish and narcissistic as the baby boomers. I don't necessarily disagree with some of your criticisms of the baby boomers, I just find it extremely biased on your part to say they are "the worst generation". You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

I have also observed that it is easier to blame others for our problems than it is to take responsibility for our own actions. This holds true whether the blame is placed on individuals or entire generations.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123