Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Undocumented teen shows no fear-even when confronting lawmakers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Undocumented teen shows no fear-even when confronting lawmakers

Undocumented teen shows no fear — even when confronting lawmakers

09/19/14 01:30 PM—Updated 09/20/14 01:08 AM
    facebook twitter 2 save share group 22

By Alicia Maule and Traci G. Lee
    Sept. 15 marked the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month — or, as it is known in Spanish, Mes de la Herencia Hispana — a time when the United States pays tribute to the history, culture and contributions of past and present Hispanic Americans.
    According to the 2010 Census, 50.5 million Americans identify as Hispanic — and that number is growing. Immigration has long been a part of America’s national history, and the role that immigrants have played — and still play in building this country is one of the reasons “the American dream” is still shared around the world today. America is a place where new beginnings and new lives are possible.
    Over the next month, msnbc.com will be profiling outstanding Hispanic activists who are making a difference in the fight for immigration reform and who are providing critical support services to undocumented communities.
    Name: Carmen Lima
    City, State: San Diego, California
    Occupation/Organization: High school student
    How did you get involved with immigration advocacy?
    The first time I got involved in immigration advocacy was on May 1st, 2001 when my mom took me to a DREAMERs protest in Barrio Logan. We got involved because we needed a way to get my sisters into college even though they did not have a Social Security number. Then we got heavily involved when my father was detained by ICE [U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement] even though he still had a valid visa.
    Give us a sense of what your day looks like:
    Most people without documents would say that they live in fear, but really I don’t live that fear. We tend to hide ourselves because we know that we do not belong in this country, but what if this is the only country you’ve ever known? What if you’ve never been outside these borders? Then you forget about these fears because you feel you belong. That is how I live day to day.
    What is the biggest misconception about immigration reform/undocumented immigrants?
    It may sound terrible. But some people genuinely believe that because you are an undocumented immigrant then you are less of a person. We must remember that the term “alien” is not what we are.
    What is your expectation of President Obama and Congress in regard to the border crisis?
    Congress and [President] Obama, when talking about illegal immigration, tend to focus on just reinforcing the border. Yet they forget that reinforcing the border isn’t going to help the people on the inside of the border. Yes they do have to do something about the border but we have to do something for the 11.7 million people on the inside of the border.
    What type of help is most needed on the ground and how can one get involved?
    The most important thing you can do is educate yourself. You could go to every protest and meet up with every senator and representative (which you should also do) but if you do not know what you are talking about then it’s not helpful. It’s pointless. So before you try to organize a protest or a meet up with a senator, do a little research.
    Was there ever an instance when you felt defeated? What made you keep going?
    A time I felt a bit down was when I met [Speaker of the House] John Boehner. He said he would try to move immigration reform forward, yet a few hours later he said that he wasn’t going to do anything about it. It was a bit hard to take in, but when I thought about it I thought, “Well I’m just going to have to try harder. I can’t just stop now. People are counting on us.”
    (Responses were edited for clarity)

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/undocumen...ting-lawmakers

Fernando Lopez is a community organizer with Congress of Day Laborers in New Orleans.
    Photo by Chandra Narcia

ICE detainee perseveres and continues activism in New Orleans

09/17/14 09:57 AM—Updated 09/19/14 02:43 PM
    facebook twitter save share group 9

Sept. 15 marks the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month — or, as it is known in Spanish, Mes de la Herencia Hispana — a time when the United States pays tribute to the history, culture and contributions of past and present Hispanic Americans.
    According to the 2010 Census, 50.5 million Americans identify as Hispanic — and that number is growing. Immigration has long been a part of America’s national history, and the role that immigrants have played — and still play in building this country is one of the reasons “the American dream” is still shared around the world today. America is a place where new beginnings and new lives are possible.
    From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, msnbc.com will be profiling outstanding Hispanic activists who are making a difference in the fight for immigration reform and who are providing critical support services to undocumented communities.
    “I was detained for a traffic violation in 2011. Ended up in Arpaio’s jail with an ICE hold, and then transferred to ICE where I was given a $10,500 dollars bond. I really thought it was over for me.”Fernando Lopez, Community organizer at Congress of Day Laborers

Name: Fernando Lopez
    City, State: New Orleans, Louisiana
    Occupation/Organization: Community organizer, Congress of Day Laborers
    It was a year after arriving in Phoenix, Arizona. It was in the summer of 2010, the introduction of SB 1070. I remember going to a rally at the Capitol one day. Thousands of people showed up, and I started to volunteer to reach out to these people to build power within the community to defeat SB 1070. I liked it, and since then, I got hooked. I also realized that the community has more power than we think and when people realize this power, gathers and organizes, a true democratic change is possible.
    Give us a sense of what your day looks like:
    On any average day, I’m somehow involved with the community, facilitating conversations between community members and decision makers, ICE [U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement], courts, etc. Just an example; this past Wednesday, Sept. 10, we received the mayor of New Orleans. [It was a] day full of planning meetings with members to develop demands, also taking care of the daily basis work, courts, ICE check-ins, one-on-ones. We have our general meeting every Wednesday to which 300 to 400 people attend every week, and it needs plenty of teamwork to make it happen. After the meeting is over, we do one-on-one consultations with people until around midnight.
    What is the biggest misconception about immigration reform/undocumented immigrants?
    The biggest misconception is that the government is deporting only criminals. It uses its resources to create this misconception to legitimize over 2 million deportations only on the Obama administration; on the other side we have mainstream media promoting this misconception, creating a fearful and close-minded population that supports the unjust treatment and criminalization, incarceration, and deportation of workers and their families.
    What is your expectation of President Obama and Congress in regard to the border crisis?
    At this point, is hard to expect anything good from politicians in Washington. They are going to continue using the border crisis as an excuse to [not] act on immigration, both, the president and congress. And if they ever give relief to the community they will also militarize the border even more as a condition. What I expect from the rest of us is to learn more about this border culture, why people are fleeing their homes, why that border is there and since when. The situation in which we live today has root-causes. We need to build grass-roots to change the communities we live in, where directly affected people are.
    We organize with workers that are being treated as disposable objects despite their contributions to the reconstruction of New Orleans. El Congreso started seven years ago. Next year is the 10th anniversary of Katrina and until now, the work of the migrant community hasn’t been recognized. Today we [not] only have workers organizing for better treatment, we have a membership of over 500 people formed by whole families. Our biggest challenge is not having a permanent space for the development of our work. Our community needs a secure, permanent space to create the necessary change for ourselves. We need the whole country pitching-in for this. Big part of the future of our work depends on having our own building.
    I was detained for a traffic violation in 2011. Ended up in [Arizona Sheriff Joe] Arpaio’s jail with an ICE hold, and then transferred to ICE where I was given a $10,500-dollar bond. I really thought it was over for me. Where was I going to get $10,500? But the community in Arizona came together and did everything in their power to raise the money, I mean everything: Car washes, food selling, movie screenings, donations etc. I couldn’t believe that people that weren’t even my family would do such thing for me. After a month I was released thanks to them. I was given a second chance by the community, a community that made me believe in people’s power and the power of organizing.
    Correction: Due to an editing mistake, an earlier version of this article misidentified Sheriff Joe Arpaio as serving in Texas. He is a sheriff in Arizona.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/ice-detai...sm-new-orleans

Veronica Isabel Dahlberg (far right), executive director of HOLA Ohio, with Elly Velez Montes (blue shirt) and her family, hours after Montes was released from a four month detention and nearly deported.
    Photo courtesy of Veronica Isabel Dahlberg

Immigration activist describes roots of her commitment to advocacy

09/15/14 04:31 PM—UPDATED 09/15/14 05:15 PM
    facebook twitter save share group 12

Sept. 15 marks the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month—or, as it is known in Spanish, Mes de la Herencia Hispana a time when the United States pays tribute to the history, culture and contributions of past and present Hispanic Americans.
    According to the 2010 Census, 50.5 million Americans identify as Hispanic—and that number is growing. Immigration has long been a part of America’s national history, and the role that immigrants have played—and still play in building this country is one of the reasons “the American dream” is still shared around the world today. America is a place where new beginnings and new lives are possible.
    From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, msnbc.com will be profiling outstanding Hispanic activists who are making a difference in the fight for immigration reform and who are providing critical support services to undocumented communities.
    “I often feel like a circus performer spinning plates—each deportation case is high-stakes and requires quick action.”VERONICA ISABEL DAHLBERG, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF HOLA OHIO

Name: Veronica Isabel Dahlberg
    City, state: Ashtabula, Ohio
    Occupation/organization: Executive director,HOLA Ohio
    Over 20 years ago I worked on a two-week university project interviewing farm workers on Virginia’s eastern shore. I was shocked at the working and living conditions for these 5,000 Mexican immigrants picking America’s crops. I saw how pesticides, long hours in the blazing sun, low pay and decrepit housing took a toll on them. I ended up staying eight months trying to learn how to organize the workers to improve their lives, a commitment I carry on to this day.
    Give us a sense of what your day looks like.
    A typical day involves fielding calls from desperate immigrants in deportation, finding ways to keep them here with their families, whether through a public action or legal maneuver. I often feel like a circus performer spinning plates — each deportation case is high stakes and requires quick action. I contact elected officials, lawyers and other leaders daily. I drive to immigration in Cleveland, HOLA meetings, sometimes I drive 1,000 miles weekly. I delegate tasks to HOLA volunteers, and consult my mentors to strategize or get moral support.
    The biggest misconception about undocumented immigrants is that they are an economic drain on our country, and that immigration reform will negatively change America and all it stands for. As a patriotic American, I have come to appreciate their work ethic, love of family, and can-do attitude. I’ve seen how they are an indispensable part of our labor force and economy. They work hard and live frugally to build their American dream. When given the opportunity to learn and participate, they quickly adopt all that is great about America.
    Given recent world events such as terrorism, and the thousands of children arriving at our southern border due to rampant crime in Mexico and Central America, it’s imperative that President Obama and Congress address the immigration issue. There is not only a growing humanitarian crisis and an economic opportunity, but also an urgent national security need to develop intelligent and effective policy regarding the border and the 10 million undocumented immigrants and their families. Our political leaders must put aside the partisan politicking and put America first.
    The biggest need in terms of getting involved is to help grassroots organizations working directly with immigrants. Groups like HOLA need volunteers and funding to help bring immigrants out of the shadows and teach them how to be good citizens, that is–informed and active participants in our democracy who understand both their rights and responsibilities. We need voters to contact their representatives and tell them we still believe in America’s promise, that regardless of culture, socioeconomic status or religion, a nation of immigrants can unite as one.
    I have felt defeated too many times. What keeps me going are thoughts of James Earl Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner. We can never give up. Martin Luther King Jr., all the civil rights heroes, unsung and otherwise. Our American military, those who so bravely volunteered and risked their lives to protect all we hold dear. Memories of my parents, who became U.S. citizens — my dad, a Hungarian immigrant who put on a suit when he voted, and my mother, a Mexican immigrant who joined him every Election Day.
    (These responses have been edited for clarity)
    Follow Veronica on Twitter@HOLAOhio

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/veronica-...ation-activist

How many of those kids are we paying for?

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican View Post
    How many of those kids are we paying for?
    All

Quote Originally Posted by partwerks View Post
    All
    Looks like Elly Velez Montes is popping out a bunch.