Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Urgent: Phone Calls Needed Repubs Caving to Bush Plan

SENATE OFFICES OPEN UNTIL 6 IN MANY CASES

Phone Republican Senators (& a few Dems) to stop slide into amnesty -- incredibly urgent

From NumbersUSA

FRIENDS,

I just got some insight into the compromise amnesty bill that may be moved to the Senate floor tomorrow. (See below.)

Unfortunately, some of our Senate allies are telling us that the new White House amnesty proposal this afternoon is causing Republican Senators to start to crumble toward surrender. Our only hope against the environmental, quality-of-life and economic devastation of this passing is that Republican Senators will hold together as a group tonight and refuse to support this offer.

If you have a Republican Senator, phone him/her (or them) right now. It may be too late by Wednesday morning.

PHONE YOUR SENATORS at:
    202-224-3121

If both your Senators are Democrats, you have a phone note on your Action Buffet corkboard to call them. But you also need to call a Republican Senator who is from a neighboring state with a smaller population (we may not have as many activists in those states as we need and could use your help with those Senators).

If you live in Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota or Virginia, you have a Democratic Senator who should be voting with us. Phone Sens. Byrd, Dorgan, Nelson and Stabenow and urge them to vote NO on this year's amnesty just as they did last year. Urge new Democratic Senators McCaskill, Tester and Webb to live up to their campaign promises and vote NO tomorrow on this amnesty.

Tell these staffers that the compromise must be stopped for any one or more of the following reasons you choose to state:

It is a nearly total blanket amnesty that would allow more than 95% of the 12-20 million illegal aliens to remain in the U.S. forever (citizenship might not come until 18 years).

At a time of incredible congestion and deterioration in the American quality of life due to the biggest population explosion in our history, this compromise would INCREASE annual legal immigration by at least another 50%.

While it does the good thing of eliminating the chain migration and visa lottery categories for future applications, it would bring the 6 million extended family members in the backlog into this country over the next eight years (the main reason for the 50% greencard increase).

It would create a large new guest worker program that would attempt to require everybody to go home but would allow the workers to bring families with them, ensuring that taxpayers would pay around $19,000 per household in subsidies and making it likely they will have anchor babies while here who would get U.S. citizenship.

I ASK YOU -- AND I ASK YOU TO ASK THE SENATE OFFICES -- IS THERE ANYTHING ABOUT OUR LIVES AS AMERICANS THAT WILL BE MADE BETTER BY SUCH A RADICAL SOLUTION?

IT IS OBVIOUS THIS WOULD CAUSE ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS. DOES IT PRODUCE ANY BENEFITS?

I think it is clear that the lunatics have taken over the insance asylum, dear Americans.

Most of the Democrats are going to stick to this plan because it guarantees huge gains in Democratic registration advantage each year.

But for Republicans, there is no political advantage to making a mess of our lives (although plenty of corporate money advantage to it). I hope you will make your best case for these Republican Senators to just get out of the negotiations, vote down cloture on Wednesday and let everybody cool off a little bit with a chance that they will come to their sense.

GOOD LUCK,

P.S. Below are some items from earlier today for background:

WE NEED TO ACCELERATE THE PRESSURE ... Have you made a phone call today? Sent a fax?

PHONE YOUR SENATORS at:
    202-224-3121

PLEASE GO TO YOUR ACTION BUFFET and look for new fax and phone notes.

PLEASE OPEN EACH SPECIFIC ACTION ALERT that we send containing the direct link to the fax and phone action pages.

THE PRECARIOUS SITUATION ON THE HILL
    AS WE SEE IT AT THIS MOMENT

1. Majority Leader Reid (D-Nev.) filed for cloture Monday on S. 1348. That bill is virtually the same as the S. 2611 amnesty that passed the Senate a year ago. If Kyl and Kennedy don't come to an agreement this afternoon, it looks like the Republicans (with the help of a handful of Democrats) will get the 41 votes to kill S. 1348. But if Kyl and Kennedy DO come to an agreement today, that new compromise bill will be substituted for the S. 2611 clone and the 60 necessary votes will be much more likely.

2. The "cloture" vote will be Wednesday on Rule 14. That is the rule that allows a bill to be brought to the Senate floor for a vote without going through the discussion, debate and amending of a committee. Because some Senators have promised to filibuster the Rule 14, Reid will need 60 Senators voting YES on cloture (which means an end to debate on the rule) to allow the debate on the actual bill to begin.

3. Our greatest hope is that Reid will fall short of the 60 votes.

4. If Reid gets the 60 votes, there will be several days of debate and probably a lot of amendments.

5. Then, Reid will have to have another cloture vote to end debate and allow a final vote on the amnesty, probably late next week.

VOTING AGAINST THE VETERANS IN A TIME OF WAR MAY NOT BE THE SMARTEST WAY TO STAY POPULAR WITH THE VOTERS

Your key request should be:

"Vote NO on cloture on Rule 14 on S. 1348 ... and vote NO on cloture on any bill that would give legal residence to illegal aliens ... Don't let any of these bills be brought to a vote."

You should constantly be saying that there is no reason to rush through an amnesty -- especially hundreds of pages that haven't even been passed out yet.

NO BILL IS BETTER THAN A BAD BILL. We should be saying the same thing as many of these open borders folks are saying.

The American Legion says a vote for any of these bills that give legal residence to illegal aliens is a violation of the rule of law and what its members fought for.

The 2.7 million members of the American Legion wore the uniform and served our country during times of war in the past, at the request of the U.S. Congress and President.

The American Legion is calling on Congress to deal with illegal aliens with ATTRITION THROUGH ENFORCEMENT options that will cause illegal workers and their families to voluntarily go home over time.

For those of you who are veterans, or are the families of veterans, or who have very strong feelings about honoring veterans, you will find the Legion declaration full of inspiring and thoughtful analysis of how to deal with illegal immigration problems. Read it at:

http://www.legion.org/documents/pdf/imm ... r_0507.pdf

www.numbersusa.com

I emailed my senators. They are both democrats and pro-amnesty. I felt another phone call would be a waste of time. I did, however, phone several of the Republican senators from the first phone list in another thread. They are out of state, but only one asked for my zip code.
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an uninvited house guest."