Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
The finest analogy one can make and I've referred to this one a lot in the past. The Lord of the Rings is one of the best movie sequels ever made in my opinion and I will absolutely watch it over and over again until my eyes can no longer recieve the light. I kind of wish that the sequels started with the story of "The Hobbit" instead of the "Fellowship of the Ring". Odd, though, I bought the triology and at the end of the battle for Helm's Deep, I didn't see the part where the trees beat up on the fleeing Orcs on the DVD that I have. Hmm..wonder how many more scenes are missing.
Rockfish,

I've read the Hobbit and Trilogy through and through four times in my life with my first run on the books when I was only 12.

It has been many years since my last reading, but if I recall correctly.. The ENTS (Tree Men) were decisive in the liberation of Helms Deep. Perhaps more of a factor than the return of the Rohiram (horsemen).

The theatrical releases of these films were much longer than US audiences are used to at about 2 hours thirty minutes each. Even so, they had to cut a lot of material out just to get them down to 2.5 hours for the theaters.

You can buy the extended versions where each film is about three hours and they put most of the material back into the films.

W